Albums that play inside out

How do these work anyway? I've never owned one. Do you play them in reverse? Are the groves on the album just made a special way? IU read on here that the first dillinger album plays inside out and outside in, how does that work? I assume this is a relatively new process, my dad doesn't beleive me that it's true so I'm trying to find stuff out.

I own a Less Than Jake 7" that supposedly plays like that, but I've never actually listened to it.

On a normal record, from the inside of the record, the grooves head outwards going clockwise. So I would assume that if the record is made to play backwards, and seeing as how turntables can't spin both ways (at least mine doesn't), the grooves would head outwards going counter-clockwise.

I am not sure if that makes sense, but it did to me.

i have a few records like this. you just put the needle down starting in the middle of the record and it plays out towards the edge. but you have to keep an eye out, because if it doesn't have a locked groove your needle with literally fall off the record at the end. but its not that new of a thing. the first time i ever saw one was the LTJ 7", and that was '96, but i'm sure they'd been doing for a long time before that.

Automatic players should play them just fine, you just have to use the manual lever to set the needle. I used to have this Orchid/Jerome's Dream split that was like this, and I never wanted to listen to it. It was annoying trying to the get the needle just right to not clip the first couple seconds of the the songs that played inside out.

I have a Mushuganas split 7" with the Volatiles where each side has 2 sets of grooves. the 2 separate grooves play different songs...one song is an original and i think both bands do GG Allin covers.

The Just A Fire 7" on Asian Man is one song split onto 2 sides and the end of side a is a locked groove so it'll loop the last part until you switch the side where it picks up right there...kinda cool.

these are just random things that are possible but no one utilizes them too much, that's all.