How do YOU trade?

Hey dawgs,

Just curious to hear some anecdotes about how you guys arrange trades. Selling is pretty cut and dry, what with PayPal's protection policies, but what are the steps you take to keep trades clean, clear, and successful?

Only did it one time, I had zero feedback so I sent first and hoped for the best. It all worked out.

Only did it one time, I had zero feedback so I sent first and hoped for the best. It all worked out.

Same as above.

Another deal, we both agreed to send them the same day. Then sent pictures of the receipts since it was out of country.

Basically the same as the trust game. But I haven't run into anyone bad!

I don't trade much. When I've done it though, I make sure it's someone who either has some "feedback" or can be backed up by someone else, at least here in VC. If I initiated the trade, I send first but usually the way it's worked out we send around the same time. 

Only one time ever did I get burnt on a trade and that was during the early days of the Revelation Trade Boards. I can't even remember what I was trading for now, but I sent the guy a copy of the Get Up Kids - Four Minute Mile on yellow. First press and somewhat rare. I never got anything in return. I believe the guy was in Belgium. 

Thankfully I was able to replace the record with an even more "rare" variant. Yellow w/ black wisps. Ha! 

IMG_1938.jpg

But then again, I'm very trusting of people and believe in karma. If I get burned, they will be burned by karma double time.

And nowadays it's a lot of easier to go after people who burn you. With FB, Twitter, here in VC, and whatnot, they have a more public face that you can go after if you get fucked over. 

Back in the days...it was email and that's it. If you got screwed...you remained screwed. 

I don't trade much. When I've done it though, I make sure it's someone who either has some "feedback" or can be backed up by someone else, at least here in VC. If I initiated the trade, I send first but usually the way it's worked out we send around the same time. 

Only one time ever did I get burnt on a trade and that was during the early days of the Revelation Trade Boards. I can't even remember what I was trading for now, but I sent the guy a copy of the Get Up Kids - Four Minute Mile on yellow. First press and somewhat rare. I never got anything in return. I believe the guy was in Belgium. 

Thankfully I was able to replace the record with an even more "rare" variant. Yellow w/ black wisps. Ha! 

IMG_1938.jpg

damn this looks awesome.

I've traded with close to 40 people over the past almost 5 years being on here and DF. When I was a noob on the boards, I always sent first. Now, that I've been here longer, I ask for people to send first. I had some douche send me the wrong LP  that was supposed to be a first press but it was the repress. He paid me to ship it back to him. It all worked out but no horror stories.

There are no promises and I don't believe in karma all that much, but I think if you don't screw people, the likelihood of you getting screwed is minimum. That's not an absolute, of course. 

Whoever said communication is key is spot on. You can wait 2 weeks to ship the thing, but you better be letting me know every few days that something has come up again.

My ex went into labor and I had records to ship that I either sold or traded and I made damn sure to do it before my son came along because I knew I wouldn't have any time after. If I can do that, most other obstacles are easy to overcome.