PRE-ORDER: Unknown Mortal Orchestra - Multi-Love

The threads of our past never unravel, they hover like invisible webs, occasionally glistening due to a sly angle of the sun. On Multi-LoveUnknown Mortal Orchestra frontman and multi-instrumentalist Ruban Nielson reflects on relationships: airy, humid longing, loss, the geometry of desire that occurs when three people align. Where Nielson addressed the pain of being alone on IIMulti-Love takes on the complications of being together.UMO’s new album is out May 26th on Jagjaguwar. Listen to title track “Multi-Love” above or on our SoundCloud page and YouTube..

Pre-order Multi-Love via SCD/directAmazoniTunesyour local record store.

Multi-Love adds dimensions to the band’s already kaleidoscopic approach, with Nielson exploring a newfound appreciation for synthesizers. The new songs channel the spirit of psych innovators without ignoring the last 40 years of music, forming a flowing, cohesive whole that reflects restless creativity. Cosmic escapes and disco rhythms speak to developing new vocabulary, while Nielson’s vocals reach powerful new heights.

“It felt good to be rebelling against the typical view of what an artists is today, a curator,” says Ruban. “It’s more about being someone who makes things happen in concrete ways. Building old synthesizers and bringing them back to life, creating sounds that aren’t quite like anyone else’s. I think that’s much more subversive.”

While legions of artists show fidelity to the roots of psychedelia, Unknown Mortal Orchestra shares the rare quality that makes the genre’s touchstones so vital: constant exploration.

Additionally, US and UK tour dates have been announced, and will go on pre-sale on Friday. Full dates + track listing after the jump.

MULTI-LOVE TRACKLISTING

1. Multi-Love

2. Like Acid Rain

3. Ur Life One Night

4. Can’t Keep Checking My Phone

5. Extreme Wealth and Casual Cruelty

6. The World Is Crowded

7. Stage or Screen

8. Necessary Evil

9. Puzzles

Here's the single as well:

And here is the preorder for the Deluxe and the regular:

http://www.scdistribution.com/umo/

Deluxe comes with Multi-Love on limited edition pink vinyl LP (while supplies last) and CD

Limited edition 'SB-01/SB-02' 12", featuring 
40 minutes of sonic exploration, formally released here for the first time

Embroidered 3.5" patch featuring the 
UMO / Multi-Love logo in pink and yellow

11x17" poster

Digital download code for the album (as a .zip file containing 320kbps mp3s) redeemable on May 12th, two weeks before release date

I don't know about you guys, but UMO's last two albums have been brilliant and this will be no different in my opinion. I'm already gonna pre-order that deluxe. 

I really enjoyed the first two, and will almost certainly enjoy this too. The 40 minutes of sonic exploration seems pretty interesting - does anyone know what its all about? Not sure if it makes the deluxe version worth it.

They are really worth checking out in my opinion and you can check them out risk-free on his soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/unknownmortalorchestra

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I would argue and say that it's a pretty fantastic album. 

and thirded

It's a great album, I can tell it's going to be a grower. It's much more adventurous, and like it or not it's a new direction. I think it shows real growth as an artist, and could see it becoming my favorite. Some songs are reminiscent of older material but I really like some of the funkier, soulful songs its like prince in his heyday. It's a lot less lofi, but it still maintains some of the qualities that made me fall in love from the beginning