Vinyl Storage (6 months to a year)

I know this topic has probably been beaten to death but my fiance and i have to move in with her mom for minimum 6 months but more likely closer to a year this coming May. Without getting into too much, between saving for a wedding and our student loans were getting crushed. Anyway, I own around 300 lp's, 7's, 10's and the such. Her house is by no means gigantic and with the rest of our shit I will have to store my expedit in her basement which is damp and climate changes with the season so there's no way in hell I'm keeping them down there. Obviously I can find a box to stack them in, however I'm worried about rings on the sleeves from them being stacked on top of each other. On my expedit they're upright and obviously having the same issue but I can at least dictate rotation, and how many go on each shelving. So I'm wondering if anyone has had to store their collection for a long period of time and what has worked best for them? She has two dogs which make me nervous about hair or them (i know it's a long shot) chewing them or ruining them some how. Any advice as side from burn them with fire would be appreciated.

(Also, if this is too long winded and doesn't make sense, my apologies I had surgery yesterday and I'm floating from the pain meds)

If you had less than a couple hundred posts I'd recommend the Rad™ method of stacked vertically over your heating vents and watch those sweet, sweet upvotes roll in. 

But, for you, you shouldn't stack them in a box vertically. Frankly, for a few months you probably wouldn't get much or any ring-wear or warping provided there are no temperature extremes, but I don't think I'd do it. Can you afford a climate controlled storage unit? If you can't agree on temporary, safe storage for your LPs in the house should you even be marrying this girl? 

If you had less than a couple hundred posts I'd recommend the Rad™ method of stacked vertically over your heating vents and watch those sweet, sweet upvotes roll in. 

But, for you, you shouldn't stack them in a box vertically. Frankly, for a few months you probably wouldn't get much or any ring-wear or warping provided there are no temperature extremes, but I don't think I'd do it. Can you afford a climate controlled storage unit? If you can't agree on temporary, safe storage for your LPs in the house should you even be marrying this girl? 

hahaha it's gonna be tough to beat this post! We were thinking about a climate controlled unit but there's enough room in the house for everything gonna be playing tetris in basement but it'll fit and that's less money were spending. my fiance has been/is very cool about my collection she's actually the one who brought up how we're going to store them. She's literally been out of the last 3 gf's i've had the most stoked on my collection, which is probably part of the reason she's got a ring on her finger! 

The heat keeps dampness away and after awhile you start to get a nice smoky scent going through your house so you kinda feel like you're living in a log cabin.

If you end up needing to store them in the basement, find some square (no tapered sides) plastic storage containers and throw in some dessicant (silica gel) packets.  Might not be a bad idea to replace the packets every few months, but they should keep ambient moisture levels under control.

If the dampness is seriously out of control, it might be worth investing in a de-humifier.

You could try something like this too

Odyssey CLP200P Carpeted Pro Lp Case With Recessed Hardware For 200 Vinyl Lp's https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002DVBRQ/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_9sp6ub0C28JZS

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002DVBRQ/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_9sp6ub0C28JZS

Good luck man

If you end up needing to store them in the basement, find some square (no tapered sides) plastic storage containers and throw in some dessicant (silica gel) packets.  Might not be a bad idea to replace the packets every few months, but they should keep ambient moisture levels under control.

If the dampness is seriously out of control, it might be worth investing in a de-humifier.

annnnd, if the bottom of the container is not even, line it with a smooth piece of cloth to do so.  I've done this before.  You would probably use this container for storing comforters/blankets/clothes.  $15 a cont.?

https://www.bagsunlimited.com/p-3840-12-record-storage-box-font-colorredplastic-corrugatedfont.aspx

If you don't have room for something like this you might as well kill yourself now because you won't last six months

i agree i use these easy and pretty safe especially if you're moving. i am currently in the same situation and it is rough.

• 3 weeks later...