Propagandhi: Supporting Caste Reissue

kadaver

HTCE & LTMR were probably my favourite punk records all throughout high school, and then TETA came along and was just this completely mind blowing, unrelenting album that is still one of my favourite punk records of all time. And then with Potemkin, while I personally didn't like it as much as TETA, it was this truly impressive record with zero dud tracks. It was like Propagandi being as Propagandhi as they possibly could be. It was wordy as fuck, it was dark, it was moving, and it was funny. It was like Propagandhi were hitting their peak potential and had finally created that record that combined punk rock with their love of thrash metal in this perfect way.

To me Supporting Caste just really starts out on a dud note, and is just really uneven in general. I love the song Night Letters, however the nu-metal/bro-hardcore intro is lame as fuck. I don't know if they were trying to be funny with that intro, but it was just so hacky. I haven't got the song on me now, but I think if you skip the first 30 seconds, it plays a lot better (aside from the nu-metal chugging that appears later in the song as well), and if recorded in a more organic way, it would be one of their best songs. Supporting Caste, Dear Coach's Corner, Human(e) Meat & Potemkin City Limits are all great songs, and all of Todd Kowalski's songs are great too (aside from the shitty aspects of Night Letters mentioned earlier), but everything else was just filler. I get that they were trying to experiment and branch out with some more personal songs and whatnot, but those songs were all bland as hell and very, very forgettable. Definitely not at all the type of songs I want to associate with Propagandhi.

And then Failed States takes that experimentation even further into a more standard bland rock territory that borders on unlistenable for the most part, especially when compared to the greatness of their earlier work. It's not terrible by any means, but I would never in a million years play it when any of their first four records (or the I-Spy split, or even Revenge Of The Little Shits) are sitting right there on the shelf as well.

meh, I think Supporting Caste is by far their best work.  Different strokes.

Different strokes definitely, it doesn't need to be said.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm gonna be the dissenter in this thread... First two albums are classics. Then they started focusing on instrumentation over hooks (though I acknowledge that the instrumentation is rad). Empires still has good tunes, but after that I'd rather all those albums just be instrumental. The vocals feel like afterthoughts and he started singing like someone who took vocal lessons, which often kills a good punk singer's voice. There are still cool tunes here and there, like the straight hardcore ones, and even a couple with hooks (Banger's Embrace, Things I Like), but most of them all have the same flat, bellowy singing that really doesn't elevate anything in the song. I really want to love those records (I have a propagandhi tattoo!) and always listen with an excited, open mind, but I just wish they still put the effort into the melodies that they do the shredding.

Anyone spin this yet? I'm on the first track and it's had some really cool skips, and by really cool, I mean fucking lame.

I listened to it (purple reissue) yesterday with no issues. While it doesn't sound as good as the 2xLP pressings, I'm happy how it turned out. They dropped the hidden track (come to the Sabbat), so it clocks in at 44 minutes and change. Still a lot, but not 52 minutes either.

• 10 months later...

They no longer ship media mail. Still not bad compared to $62.00, but I hate paying a minimum of $10 shipping.

$10.45 USPS-Priority Order + Shipping + Tax $23.44 $13.98 UPS Ground Order + Shipping + Tax $26.97 $22.01 UPS 2nd Day Air Order + Shipping + Tax $35.00 $35.17 UPS Next Day Air Saver Order + Shipping + Tax $48.16 We are no longer offering media mail due to its incredibly slow delivery times and high rate of damages to orders.

They no longer ship media mail. Still not bad compared to $62.00, but I hate paying a minimum of $10 shipping.

$10.45 USPS-Priority Order + Shipping + Tax $23.44 $13.98 UPS Ground Order + Shipping + Tax $26.97 $22.01 UPS 2nd Day Air Order + Shipping + Tax $35.00 $35.17 UPS Next Day Air Saver Order + Shipping + Tax $48.16 We are no longer offering media mail due to its incredibly slow delivery times and high rate of damages to orders.

Granted, I've only ever done things on a much smaller scale, but I've shipped a few thousand packages via mediamail and have not had a single one get fucked up.  Bums me out being forced to ship priority for anything KRM related.