I'm opening a record store...

Good Luck

Waterloos is one of the most overhyped stores I have ever been to

End of an Ear is a great store

Friends of Sound is really weird...some good stuff found but mostly overpriced used

Trailerspace records...these dudes must not pay rent because everytime I have been there its empty and not alot of records. they do pride themselves on having bands play

Piranha Records in Round Rock is like Waterloo light....Trying to sell a bunch of crap and music too. Although I do love their t shirts

Did I miss anything worthwhile? Will be back in a month for Psych Fest and really will only visit End of an Ear

trailerspace is a fucking joke. the owners are assholes. A band i managed for a while decided to play a show there and the owners were walking around trying to fuck every girl there with the "i own this place" line. they were rude to me when i was asking questions and were outright making fun of people at the show.  

oh and breakaway records is really cool. nice people. http://www.breakawayrecs.com

If you have major/well know competition, you should come up with some kind of marketing ploy to drag people in. How do you plan to pull business in? Not being negative, just thinking and thought this could end up being make or break

I totally agree. We have been toying with a few ideas. Nothing concrete yet. But we have some tricks up our sleeves.

Think the social aspects of a skate shop and or barber shop mixed with a record store. And that one episode of dharma and greg where she opened a business that sold nothing.

One thing to keep in mind for a social gathering place is it tends to attract teens who don't really buy anything. And it alienates older customers who have money.

nothing worse than having to babysit teens in your store

my friend owns a restaurant and teens used to come in all the time and take up table space. They would order one thing...half would not eat...they would sit for hours...not the social place you want

One thing to keep in mind for a social gathering place is it tends to attract teens who don't really buy anything. And it alienates older customers who have money.

nothing worse than having to babysit teens in your store

my friend owns a restaurant and teens used to come in all the time and take up table space. They would order one thing...half would not eat...they would sit for hours...not the social place you want

having worked retail forever, I've mastered when to be the bad guy and when no to be. my buddy is more the numbers side of this. im the everything else. I'm good at a lot of things, i don't math well though. thats where he comes in. 

with that being said. if i can get the social aspect down without attracting freeloaders, i will be ok. i was that kid once...and now I'm the man that hates those kids......so I'm confident i know how to regulate this. but we aren't even there yet. we are at the beginning. as long as we can prove to the banks we can turn a profit and show (on paper) that our model works.....we can work out the kinks as we go. 

i like waterloo, but only because i tend to find obscure stuff there that i wouldn't find at a smaller shop w/ smaller stock. i've had several really great finds there. wide releases are definitely cheaper elsewhere. love me some end of an ear.

i usually hit up austin a few times a year, so i'll definitely come visit. good luck man!

i like waterloo, but only because i tend to find obscure stuff there that i wouldn't find at a smaller shop w/ smaller stock. i've had several really great finds there. wide releases are definitely cheaper elsewhere. love me some end of an ear.

i usually hit up austin a few times a year, so i'll definitely come visit. good luck man!

Thanks! Its going to be a long road but im stoked

I was at Waterloo about a month ago and everything seemed to be at least $5 more that it should have been.  Going to avoid that store from here on out.  End of an Ear is the best store in that city if you ask me.

Anyway, good luck with the shop!  If you're open next time I'm in Austin, I'll swing in.

Seems like somewhere out there is a record store closing due to the current environment. They'd probably love someone to come in and buy all their stock in bulk. You'd get an incredible deal and fill your shelves and dollar bins, then can fill out whatever else you want to carry.

That's how I would try and start out.

Seems like somewhere out there is a record store closing due to the current environment. They'd probably love someone to come in and buy all their stock in bulk. You'd get an incredible deal and fill your shelves and dollar bins, then can fill out whatever else you want to carry.

That's how I would try and start out.

absolutely noted.

I'm hoping you have a wonderfully punny/witty shop name.

Best of luck though. If I ever travel the 4800 miles over there I'll be sure to check it out.

The wife threw one out when i told her i wasnt thinking about a name right now. For/Off/On The Record. One of those if not all is probably taken though