SAINTSGIVING (FREE RECORD GIVEAWAY) Round One (OVER): Every Time I Die - Salem 7"-----WINNER: eshame

The Saint

Last year was probably most memorable for me. Showed up with a friend at the local shop at about 2am, 4th and 5th in line. The 3 guys ahead of us in line were all pretty cool so we ended up bullshitting all night. When they needed to go grab food or stretch out for a walk or something it was always cool. We'd hold their place and they'd return the favor when we needed a break from sitting there. Ended up getting everything we were after that morning when the shop opened up. 

This year I showed up at 5am at a much smaller store expecting a much smaller turn out just to find 8 or 9 people already there. Said what's up, wished them luck and went back home to bed, haha. 

you're a saint for doing this!

my first RSD (2012) was probably my favorite. my girlfriend had just celebrated being together for a year -- she was actually the one who first told me about RSD, even though i started buying records in 2007. we went to fingerprints in long beach; we had to wake up at 4 am to drive down there and get in line. we had no idea what to expect. it's such a big store, and the RSD releases were randomly strewn about the store. it was a ridiculous, stressful, fun scavenger hunt, and i definitely recommend trying RSD there for anyone in southern california.

In Russia we don't have RSD :(

So each year i have to spend lot of times in WEB to find some of releases that i want.

Best time was in 2011 when I wanna get Touche Amore ...To The Beat Of A Dead Horse with blind-letterpressed jacket.

This was on sale via deathwish at 3 AM in Russian time.

And in the moment when DW start to sell it - their store crashed for 2-3 hours more,

I have to sit and refreach each second untill I get it!

After this I spend 1 month to wait untill i get it.

It's still one of the best records in my collection.

move to San Diego, huge Russian connection for some reason with OROGOLD sold here in malls and stuff, also alot of hiring going on downtown

Wasn't able to attend this year. But I need to give props to my buddy. I floated him some cash and he grabbed everything I wanted. My parents were in town visiting (well really visiting my daughter), but family first! One thing about RSD in Durham, is everyone is always kind, considerate, and personable. Not the greatest story in the world, but it's important to me that a buddy would do that. 

This is extremely cool of you!

My favorite experience was the first year I participated (2011? 2012?) and I was able to pick up a bunch of stuff people had a hard time getting their hands on and selling it at cost.  I must have sold 8-10 LPs, didn't make a cent, but I made a lot of VC members happy that they didn't have to sail around the bay.  And in return I was able to snag one or two items that I hadn't been able to find at cost.  It was my first really positive experience buying and selling on VC, and it made me realize that when we get past a lot of the usually forum crap that exists at every forum that this really is a great community.

So, I live in New Zealand which means RSD is very hit and miss down here and we only get a fraction of what the US does and what tends to get ordered by the stores in pretty mainstream, so my expectations are always pretty low (but ever hopeful).

Last year I was pretty pumped about the Mastodon Live at Brixton release, but being prog metal, didn't think I would see a copy down here. Went to the first store... nothing.... went to the second store.... finally the third store in Auckland that takes part and there it was, the only copy they had got. I was very stoked! Since then has spent a lot of time on rotation. 

Unfortunately for me this year, the ETID 7" was the only release i was looking for, and none of the stores ordered it. So it would be awesome to win this one!

My first RSD... 2013. Got to the store about 30 minutes to opening and chatted with some folks in line. Got into the store about 10 minutes after opening and saw the bin of RSD stuff and randomly flipped to a spot in it and it happened to be the record I had gone for (The Cure-Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me). Grabbed it and wandered about a bit more. Talked to a few folks and just generally enjoyed the vibe of the whole deal.

I thought I'd take the time to share my favorite RSD experience. Last year, I purchased a copy of Fun. - Point and Light. After listening to the demos online when I returned home, I realized that I had buyer's remorse. Fortunately, I found someone on the boards looking for a copy, and he was willing to trade it for a copy of +44 - When Your Heart Stops Beating. That person was Blade or Bladie or Bladie's Ghost. I'm pretty sure those three names are all the same person  (at least I think so. It's hard to tell with all the name changes). Anyway, It was the a trade I was so happy about and he, being a huge Nate Ruess fan, was also stoked about it as well. But now, the moment y'all are waiting for...

And the winner is... 

eshame

Congratulations! I'll be PM'ing you in a few minutes.

Thank you to everyone who entered. I'm looking forward to doing this again in the near future.