Is an atlp120 worth buying?

I am trying to decide whether to purchase an atlp120 which I can buy now, to replace a crosley, which I dread even using at all. Or should I try and continue saving for a pro-ject debut carbon dc. I know the answer is kind of obvious but the time that I wait to save up for the project I would be left with the crosley and I'm afraid I am damaging my records with it.

I've had an ATLP120 the ntire time I've been collecting records, I know I'll upgrade at some point but there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. It's a fine machine especially for a beginner (like I was) who doesn't need to do anything crazy. Setup was extremely simple, adjustable tone arm and counterweight, can play 78's and comes with a center adapter, dust cover, USB thing if you're into vinyl rips. Never had a problem.

I've had an ATLP120 the ntire time I've been collecting records, I know I'll upgrade at some point but there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. It's a fine machine especially for a beginner (like I was) who doesn't need to do anything crazy. Setup was extremely simple, adjustable tone arm and counterweight, can play 78's and comes with a center adapter, dust cover, USB thing if you're into vinyl rips. Never had a problem.

What he said.

There's nothing particularly wrong with them apart from the on-board phono stage and you can switch that out. They hold their money quite well so you can move it on when you have enough money to upgrade but it will do a perfectly good job if you keep it.

Your other option is a Uturn as has been suggested already or a used older Project, Rega or similar.

The first record player I bought was an AT-LP120. I was honestly really pleased with it. There are definitely people out there that will tell you they are shit, but I'd say it's one of the better low-end tables for sure. Leagues better than any Crosley anyway. I had mine for about two years before I ended up buying a Debut Carbon. Looking back, I probably should've saved some more money at the time and just went with the Debut Carbon, but I did enjoy the features of the AT-LP120 while I had it, plus the built-in pre-amp allowed me to save some money while I was getting into the hobby.

People bring up that article all the time. His comparison doesn't take into account the discounted street price of the Debut Carbon and that people who endorse the LP-120 usually suggest replacing the cart right away.

After you take those items into account, it's basically a wash and you should probably spend a few bucks more for the better table.