A Hard Decision

So, as I am new to the forum, one would expect I would want to fit in as much as possible to be welcomed and belong. But I am new to vinyl collecting in general, just own a few vinyl right now and want more. But I am embarassed to say that I....

Do not have anything to play them on.

Yes folks, thats right. I have records but no player.

As I have a limited budget I've been shopping around, and there are two standouts in terms of which ones I like, and what I can afford. (Under $200. I can save up for the more advanced systems once I've decided whether the vinyl hobby is going to be something I stick with for life!)

This is the model I think I might get, its in my budget, but I want a serious review. This model, in red. http://store.uturnaudio.com/products/orbit-basic-turntable

But I have a dream. And its also red.

http://www.project-audio.com/main.php?prod=rpm1carbon&cat=turntables〈=en

Ever since I saw that model on a youtube video I've craved it. But that would be something I'll have to save up to.

So the two choices are: Get the budget friendly turntable and be satisfied or...

Buy something really cheap, used record player, to tide me over until I have saved up the huge cost of the dream turntable, the project audio. With the cheapest record players at least I'd be able to decide if I really want to be in vinyl, however I hear audio quality is hit or miss with used models.

Then there's the issue of speakers and pre-amps and all that. I'd probably play with headphones until I could get speakers that aren't going to disturb my neighbors in the building at all.

Any advice would be a given. And yes, I know: stay away from Crosley. Not even considering it anyways.

The truth is, if you enjoy listening to digital music through those speakers, you'll also enjoy listening to vinyl through them.

Here's what I'd do in your position: I'd spend that $200 on some powered speakers. That's it. Nothing else, just speakers. The increase in sound quality I'd be able to enjoy would outweigh the visual or audible benefits of the format I'm using. I'd continue to buy records, but hold off with buying a turntable until I save up some more. Then, when I have another $200-$300, I'd take a plunge on a turntable. But that's me.

If you don't see yourself getting any kind of enjoyment out of listening to music sounding better than it does now, get any turntable. The first one you like. If you want to improve your listening experience, refer to the paragraph above. ;)

The truth is, if you enjoy listening to digital music through those speakers, you'll also enjoy listening to vinyl through them.

Here's what I'd do in your position: I'd spend that $200 on some powered speakers. That's it. Nothing else, just speakers. The increase in sound quality I'd be able to enjoy would outweigh the visual or audible benefits of the format I'm using. I'd continue to buy records, but hold off with buying a turntable until I save up some more. Then, when I have another $200-$300, I'd take a plunge on a turntable. But that's me.

If you don't see yourself getting any kind of enjoyment out of listening to music sounding better than it does now, get any turntable. The first one you like. If you want to improve your listening experience, refer to the paragraph above. ;)

I agree with the basic sentiment but I'm not sure about the powered speakers advice as in my opinion there are better ways to spend $200 on audio equipment.

Slinch likes powered speakers. I hate them.

Hate is a bit strong, I've heard some very very good powered speakers but we are talking about things that go for a good 4 figures used, in general though I'm not a fan either and $200 used will buy you a very nice used integrated amplifier and passive speakers. Something from Cambridge Audio and Wharfedale can be done with a bit of research and shopping about.

Thank you everyone. I have a bunch of vinyl shops in my town and a huge music scene and I've been looking around at classifieds and whats available. I might get an inexpensive vintage player to start, I'm not going to be buying any $30 records yet, I like classic rock music anyways and Dr Disc has tons of under $5 records in genres I like. So I'll start that way, and save up for the nicest record player I can reasonably save for, probably something from Pro-Ject or the U-Turn PLUS model which is just like the inexpensive regular model but with that lovely clear platter. Or I can custom build to order from them too so I can get some add-ons. But probably not this month. I'll have to save. For now, something that I can just get started with.

Any vintage experts here who can tell me a bit about picking one? One of the ones I'm looking at is called a 'Symphonic' which I think is the brand. The other is...and don't laugh...a sears record player meant for children, red and white plastic, which includes a microphone for singing along. Please don't laugh, its just like the record player my mother first let me play her records on, though hers was probably not a sears, there was no sears in the town we both grew up in.

I'm not a vintage expert, but after doing a lot of research, I was on Kijiji about 24/7 to find a turntable and a vintage integrated amp. I bought my setup for a total of $255.

Yamaha Turntable: $110

HK amp (same seller): $110

Paradigm speakers: $35, because both tweeters are shot and the foam need refurbishing. The seller couldn't find tweeters for them, so he gave up and just wanted them gone. I've found replacement tweeters, new for $85, but I haven't made the purchase yet. Re-foaming the woofers is $20 if you do it yourself.

For now, I'm using a set of Sony speakers that came with a mini "hifi" set, until I'm done with the Paradigms.

So, for $350-ish, I will have a complete vintage set that will probably last me years.

I would go that route again. Getting the same setup out of all new gear would costs about 3 or 4 times as much.

Just my 2ct.

Well, after schlepping around the city looking for a turntable and finding zilch but Crosley's I decided to throw caution to the wind and went to ebay. $100 CAN later (which thankfully includes shipping) and I have a JVC turntable on the way...(with brand new belt, is that a good thing?)

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/252006835905

Hope this link works. I like the look of it. The other one I was looking at on ebay was around the same price, called Pioneer, had some sort of audio output problem and I didn't want to try and fix a problem myself. So here's to hoping this one sounds good. It has the auto queue and return functions which I like because my hands shake like a mother....

Anyhoo, now I need speakers for it. I know a place where I can get used speakers hella cheap so I'll be going there once the turntable gets here and I know what kind of cables I'll need for that.

Again, thank you so much for your help. I have this website bookmarked to help me figure things out. http://turntablelab.com/pages/beginners-guide-to-turntables

I know I said I was going to get the Oribit turntable, but my finances were not as good as I thought they would be this month, and I'd still need to buy the pre-amp and everything else, so the really nice turntable will have to come later, I'll slowly just upgrade things as I'm able to I guess. I'm just so new to all this and I know I'll probably make mistakes, probably have already made mistakes, I'm glad you guys are still willing to help a newbie out.

So correct me if I'm wrong, the supply list: speakers, pre-amp and amplifier? I'll handle the speakers next, the computer speakers I have are fine for computer stuff but not for music. Luckily we have a thriving community of audio junkies here so there's plenty used speakers to be found. I think I'll just go see if I can get better ones at the local thrift store.

Again, thank you so much for your help. I have this website bookmarked to help me figure things out. http://turntablelab.com/pages/beginners-guide-to-turntables

I know I said I was going to get the Oribit turntable, but my finances were not as good as I thought they would be this month, and I'd still need to buy the pre-amp and everything else, so the really nice turntable will have to come later, I'll slowly just upgrade things as I'm able to I guess. I'm just so new to all this and I know I'll probably make mistakes, probably have already made mistakes, I'm glad you guys are still willing to help a newbie out.

So correct me if I'm wrong, the supply list: speakers, pre-amp and amplifier? I'll handle the speakers next, the computer speakers I have are fine for computer stuff but not for music. Luckily we have a thriving community of audio junkies here so there's plenty used speakers to be found. I think I'll just go see if I can get better ones at the local thrift store.

If you get speakers first, you'll have a turntable, records and speakers and you still won't be able to listen to it, but as long as you realize that, you'll be ok.

Do you have an exact model number of that JVC turntable? The listing ended, so we can't see it. $100 including shipping seems too cheap to me.

Your supply list is correct, or alternatively, you can go for pre-amp and powered speakers (they have the amp built in). Great for tight spaces. These come recommended: AudioEngine A2+ or Emotiva Airmotiv 5s.

The trick to speakers is to audition them before you buy them. Don't buy because they're cheap. Speakers are the final stage in the chain and the last step between your record and your ear. If you don't like how your speakers sound, your whole setup is useless. Do NOT impulse-buy speakers!

Black Plastic Crap.  Generally used to describe Crosleyesque products of the late 80s/90's.

As a starter deck it's perfectly fine and will do you a turn until you decide whether all this is really for you. You probably could have done better for the money but as a first go you could have done a whole lot worse so enjoy.

BPC is a little derogatory but Crosleyesque is more than a bit harsh, on this JVC you can change the tracking force, it has an aluminium platter and I expect it will play and track perfectly well. All well over and above the capabilities of the Crosley and all it's evil ilk.

As a bit of history The high point of large name brand Japanese HiFi is generally the late 70's and early 80's, after that the profit margins widened and the quality took a nose dive which is around the time Japanese hifi turned from having nice aluminium generally silver casings with wooden sides to black plastic cases and the term Black Plastic Crap was born.

The Crosley and all it's spawn (Ion, Pyle, Steepletone etc. etc. etc.) is a further level down the food chain and so bad that Crosley is now used to describe all these cheap Chinese tacky units with plastic platters, ceramic cartridges and woeful build quality in the basest terms.

The link takes you to the finished item link. It's a JVC AL-A151, a typical 90's BPC with a P mount cart so probably not

^_^  I should probably scroll a little more next time.

In that case, $25 is probably an average price for it.

Looks like a good starter table. It's quite a bit better than a Crosley in my opinion, but I still wouldn't want to play brand new records on there. Second hand records to get into the hobby and upgrade when you can. It's part of the journey, I think.

^_^  I should probably scroll a little more next time.

In that case, $25 is probably an average price for it.

Looks like a good starter table. It's quite a bit better than a Crosley in my opinion, but I still wouldn't want to play brand new records on there. Second hand records to get into the hobby and upgrade when you can. It's part of the journey, I think.

Yes the same sort of value I was thinking but easy to say when you know what you are looking at, the trouble is people are asking relatively big money for this sort of table now and people are paying it so that sets a precedent, I can regularly be heard issuing the Yorkshire war cry of "Ow Bloody Much!!!" when told the asking price on tables I wouldn't give £15 for, on the other hand as a noob it has a new belt, looks like a new stylus and looks generally in good condition so OP the extra cost can be put down to peace of mind and if it's not spot on send it straight back but if it's all it's described as then just enjoy it.

It would be fine with any record as it uses a standard P mount AT cart that is still available and so are new styli for it and you can at least adjust the tracking force, the arm bearings will be of a reasonable quality as will most of it so it's not going to wear records any faster than the average table of this type from this period but it's not going to be the last word in high fidelity either, as a starter table though it will do a perfectly good job.

• 2 weeks later...

I see you're preparing your first setup. I bought a pair of white AudioEngine A2 powered speakers for $209 last year when I bought my first setup. Now I've outgrown 'em and, if you still need speakers, I'll sell them to you. I loved them for my first setup. Just PM me if you're interested! Welcome to the hobby.