PO: Josh Ritter - Sermon on the Rocks

I'm excited for this - new music from one of my favourite songwriters.

Out October 2015

https://joshritter.merchtable.com/pre-orders/pre-order-sermon-on-the-rocks-ships-week-of-friday-oct-16th#.VbYxKIr3bCQ

From the website:

Sermon On The Rocks, the new album from Josh Ritter. Available worldwide Friday October 16.

- Available in 4 formats, Standard CD, Deluxe CD, Standard LP, Deluxe LP. Pick your format in the dropdown above.

- Every pre-order comes with an immediate download of "Getting Ready To Get Down".

- 2 more digital tracks will be delivered to you before October.

- You'll also receive a digital download of the entire record one week before the street date.

- Deluxe CD comes with bonus Home Recordings CD.

- Deluxe Vinyl features 180 gram Blue vinyl and comes with bonus Home Recordings CD and is limited to 2500 copies worldwide.

- Standard Vinyl comes on 180 gram Black vinyl.

- The first 1500 Deluxe CD pre-orders will include a signed lyric insert booklet.

- The first 500 Deluxe Vinyl pre-orders will include a signed LP sleeve

Produced by Trina Shoemaker and Josh, the 12-song album was recorded over two weeks at New Orleans’ The Parlor Recording Studio and features Matt Barrick from The Walkmen on drums, Zachariah Hickman on bass, Josh Kaufman on guitars, and Sam Kassirer on keyboards.

SERMON ON THE ROCKS

1. Birds of the Meadow

2. Young Moses

3. Henrietta, Indiana

4. Getting Ready To Get Down

5. Seeing Me Around

6. Where The Night Goes

7. Cumberland

8. Homecoming

9. The Stone

10. A Big Enough Sky

11. Lighthouse Fire

12. My Man On A Horse Is Here

Pre-ordered the deluxe vinyl without hesitation, Josh is my favorite living songwriter. First song is great, I laughed out loud at the "Jesus hates your high school dances" line and the references to "Mary Jane's Last Dance", it reminds me of "To the Dogs or Whoever" from Historical Conquests.

done, while i felt that the last was a little bit of a disappointment following the run of hello starling->animal years->historical conquests->so runs the world, im willing to agree that it just hasnt grown on me yet. looking forward to this

easily a top ten live act for me as well, highly recommended

Would definitely agree with you on that order, other than the fact that I think Animal Years is better than Starling. I really didn't like his last one much but I think it's partly because he's at his best when working with metaphors and figurative language, whereas Beast was all too literal. In fact it was so literal at times it got a bit funny (he used the phrase 'new lover' more times than that old Will Ferrell in a hot tub sketch).

Looking forward to the new one. I have a feeling there will be a lot of biblical references in this one, but many of his best songs have revolved around them, so should be exciting.

Also, an incredible performer both solo and with a band.

Would definitely agree with you on that order, other than the fact that I think Animal Years is better than Starling. I really didn't like his last one much but I think it's partly because he's at his best when working with metaphors and figurative language, whereas Beast was all too literal. In fact it was so literal at times it got a bit funny (he used the phrase 'new lover' more times than that old Will Ferrell in a hot tub sketch).

Looking forward to the new one. I have a feeling there will be a lot of biblical references in this one, but many of his best songs have revolved around them, so should be exciting.

Also, an incredible performer both solo and with a band.

oh yeah for sure, if ranking them, then animal years->conquests->starling->so runs the world, 

animal years is top 20 2000's record for me

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Third single up now - Homecoming. All three tracks he's previewed have been excellent. Lyrically very interesting and sounds really good. I'm extremely excited for this album!

100% agreed, this is my most anticipated album for the rest of the year (a close second is the new Bryan John Appleby).

Interesting, that's probably my least favorite of his. What other albums of his have you heard?

Everything back to Animal Years, haven't gone past that. There's just something about Beast where everything coalesced and hit me at just the right time, I can't really explain it but it's very special to me. On first listen I like this new one, but I don't think anything will ever top Beast for me. I like Homecoming the best.  

Thoughts on this album? I've listened to it a couple times. Kind of a funky listen, like Historical Conquests but more so. At its best I get a Graceland vibe, but in other parts it almost sounds like (forgive me) DMB, even his voice sounds like him at times, which is just bizarre. I got the demos CD that came with the deluxe and I wonder if I'll like that more.

Interested to hear what other fans think.

Dawhizz - I spun my blue copy for the first time last night. I had heard the three previously released tracks but not the full album (didn't listen to the NPR stream). I like it, but wouldn't say I love it; I would slot it after Animal Years, Historical Conquests, and So Runs in my personal rankings. I think the best tracks are the three previously released plus Young Moses and Cumberland which, as you mentioned has a very strong Graceland vibe and would not be out of place on that album. 

I do like the mix of different styles on it, just was hoping for a few more "story songs". But this is just based on first impressions, hoping it grows on me with a more plays. Excited to listen to the home recordings/demos CD to see how those versions compare/contrast.

I only listened once, and I have to say, listening on the NPR stream (I have now for a few different albums) always turns me off a bit because the stream quality is so bad....damn those high quality headphones!

Anyways, there were definitely a few tracks that I didn't connect to, and a few that I immediately was drawn in by, but I've almost always found that I need a few listens with Josh Ritter albums, at least other than The Animal Years and Hello Starling; but I also think he's grown as a songwriter to be a bit less immediate and quite a lot more clever/sneaky. I hated the song The Curse for a long time before really getting to sit down and listen to it, and now it's one of my favourites. I have to give it a few more listens to rank it more appropriately, but I definitely like it a whole lot more than Beast already (that one didn't connect with me at all with the exception of Joy to You Baby), and definitely feel a similar vibe to Historical Conquests. Ritter is still, to me, probably one of the five best songwriters making music today, and even a weaker album for him often has some incredible moments.