Peter Gabriel - First 4 Albums Reissued (180 Gram, 2 - LP 45 RPM)

http://petergabriel.com/news/double-vinyl-peter-gabriel/

1-4_on_f0-848x313.jpg

On 2 October 2015 Peter Gabriel’s first four self-titled solo albums are being made available on vinyl for the first time since 2002. Also being re-issued are the long out-of-print German vocal versions of Peter Gabriel’s third (Ein Deutsches Album) and fourth (Deutsches Album) records.

The first three releases are affectionately known as CarScratch and Melt due to their iconic Hipgnosis designed covers. The fourth was named Security for the American market on its initial release.

All the albums have been Half-Speed Remastered and cut to lacquers at 45RPM, across two heavyweight 180g LPs to deliver maximum dynamic sound range. These records have really never sounded so good – pretty much as close to listening to the original master tape as it’s possible to get.

Thoughts:

1. Pricey, but I suppose if it's the best these albums have ever sounded it might be worth it. These all go for $5 a piece at my local shop.

2. The German albums are a good addition. Always wanted to pick them up but I've never seen them in good shape.

3. Us, Passion, and Up reissues WHEN?

These are great albums, and I own all of them already, but they're not all that hard to find for around $5 each. I suppose these remasters will be worth it if you have really good equipment though.

They're not $5 each if you're looking for the all analogue Bernie Grundman tube-cut directly from the analogue master tapes Classic Records reissues, the single sided Clarity 45rpm versions are usually $200-$500 and the single 33rpm versions are still around $120 or more.

Although the product description tells us who did the mastering and who did the cutting, it does not state whether this project is staying in the analogue realm. If you have any of the incredible Classic pressings without any pressing defects or excessive noise, I'd hold onto them for now until you can do a side by side comparison.

I did a shootout with four other friends who are serious about audio a couple years ago comparing the new 24-bit remaster of So with an original CD, the 2002 SACD, a 2002 33rpm pressing and the 2009 45rpm Clarity pressing, we compared "That Voice Again" and the Clarity was picked unanimously as the winner.

I can still see my post on the Hoffman forums where I balked at the $50/each price tag in 2009 of the Clarity AAA pressings, I'm kicking myself to this day for not jumping on it. I eventually picked up II for $75 from Acoustic Sounds, then got super lucky finding III on eBay sealed for $79 from a seller that sells old stock from "The Music" and that one usually goes for $300+, then I also scored the first two discs of "So" from The Music when they were selling off single Clarity LPs that were there for replacements. So upset I missed getting III ~ Us all for $50/each. I have one LP of the 33rpm edition of "Us" and it's sublime. I have the regular 33rpm 200g AAA cuts of I, II, III and So as well as the 140g cut of IV. So good.

They're not $5 each if you're looking for the all analogue Bernie Grundman tube-cut directly from the analogue master tapes Classic Records reissues, the single sided Clarity 45rpm versions are usually $200-$500 and the single 33rpm versions are still around $120 or more.

Although the product description tells us who did the mastering and who did the cutting, it does not state whether this project is staying in the analogue realm. If you have any of the incredible Classic pressings without any pressing defects or excessive noise, I'd hold onto them for now until you can do a side by side comparison.

I did a shootout with four other friends who are serious about audio a couple years ago comparing the new 24-bit remaster of So with an original CD, the 2002 SACD, a 2002 33rpm pressing and the 2009 45rpm Clarity pressing, we compared "That Voice Again" and the Clarity was picked unanimously as the winner.

I can still see my post on the Hoffman forums where I balked at the $50/each price tag in 2009 of the Clarity AAA pressings, I'm kicking myself to this day for not jumping on it. I eventually picked up II for $75 from Acoustic Sounds, then got super lucky finding III on eBay sealed for $79 from a seller that sells old stock from "The Music" and that one usually goes for $300+, then I also scored the first two discs of "So" from The Music when they were selling off single Clarity LPs that were there for replacements. So upset I missed getting III ~ Us all for $50/each. I have one LP of the 33rpm edition of "Us" and it's sublime. I have the regular 33rpm 200g AAA cuts of I, II, III and So as well as the 140g cut of IV. So good.

Whoa, guy.

I have the 200 gram "Car" and "Melt", my two favorites, and I agree they sound great.

I went ahead and purchased one of the 4 LP bundles on the PG site, interested to also hear a side-by-side comparison. I also passed on the Clarity vinyl packs when they came out. However, I heard that "Security" was mispressed during "I Have the Touch", not sure how many copies that affected. Oh well, still wish I had ordered them. 

Eh, I actually did a shoot out between the original 1992 EMI pressing of "Us," compared to the 200 gram black Classic pressing of record #1.

We did this on my buddies high end set up, Spica speakers, Blue Point Special cart...(Forget the rest of his set up)

To my ears, the Classic had more "low end," while the original EMI had more "high end" detail.

Pretty much apples and oranges, but I preferred the original EMI pressing, and that cost me about $25 back when it was a "new album."

I have really enjoyed the quality of many/most of the original EMI pressings. I have disliked a few of the Classic pressings.

Although, I would love to find a Clarity copy of Melt though, as it is the only one of the "big four" I am missing ;)