VC coop final list announced

Guest admin1338560633

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Organization and Administration.

I understand that this is a board and everyone pretty much gets along, but someone needs to step up eventually. It needs an organized plan, a schedule and deadlines. from the like three topics i glanced at, it seems like the voting and this finalized list was supposed to be ready a long time ago...

Totally agree, and we've addressed it for next time. The list was late going up because V's kid got sick. The voting and finalizing of the list took about a month the first time around. Next time it'll move faster, although we've got a list that gives us plenty of records to work with before we need to vote again.

2. The pop-punk collective.

EVERYONE THAT HAS A SHARE LISTENS TO THE SAME STUFF.

Look at the list of records on the list. Where is the variety? Where are the surprises? I mean this whole co-op may very well “succeed” in terms of selling records, but for me, as someone who doesn’t really care about most of these bands, the whole project is just one drawn out boring process that I could not even care less about. You’re only going to be selling records to the VC/punk News/AltPress crowd. And again, most of you won’t have a problem with it. But outside of those boards, no one else cares about this co-op. not at all.

I mean, just one hip-hop, shoegaze, or post-rock album would have me shutting my mouth and admitting I was wrong. But seriously, this list of albums is one of the most boring ‘upcoming album’ lists I have ever seen. You’re not attracting new customers. You’re pandering to the same small sect of music listeners, and I think that just stupid.

but maybe I just had different hopes for the whole thing...

7 punk records. None of which really count as pop punk (you could probably make a case for Rx Bandits). And none of which are really hot with the Alt Press crowd.

1. Suicide Machines - Destruction by Definition

2. Falcon - God Don't Make No Trash

3. A Wilhelm Scream - Mute Print

5. Osker - Idle Will Kill

8. Rx Bandits - Progress

12. Cobra Skulls - Sitting Army

14. Suicide Machines - War Profiteering Is Killing Us All

Not pop-punk, but rather progressive indie rock

4. At the Drive In - Acrobatic Tenement

7. Minus the Bear - This is What I know about being gigantic

Indie pop bands, one of which is big w/ the Alt Press crowd, the other three all broke up because they couldn't sell enough records to survive thanks to being thrown in a niche of "emo."

6. Jealous Sound - Kill them with Kindness

9. Brand New - Devil and God are Raging

11. Dismemberment Plan - Emergency and I

13. Gatsbys American Dream - Volcano

Acoustic folk stuff. Does admittedly feature a member of a punk band.

10. Sundowner - Four One Five Two

A record that sounds like HUM w/ a turrets kid singing.

15. Glassjaw - Worship and Tribute

Sure I would like to see us some day release a Rosetta b-sides record or a Why? single or even a One Am Radio record if dude had anything that wasn't already pressed. But it isn't like it's full of My Chemical Romance or All Time Low records or something. Variety will come with time hopefully.

I'll keep asking the same questions until I get answers. Such as, "why can't we see the complete results?" How that is not a constructive point, I don't know.

Getting the top 15 was a good step in the right direction, now can we please keep up the communication momentum? thanks.

If asking the "tough" questions equals me being a "troll" so be it.

If you had ever had a single positive thing to add, didn't whine incessantly, or actually asked important questions you'd be less of a troll. However you jump from one bitch fest to another with little to no stopping in between. There aren't any "tough" questions to ask.

Shit moved a little slow the first time because it's a new process and we decided not to be dicks the first time around.

There is no master list that is being hidden from the people who have a share. It's just long as fuck and a knowing which album ultimately got three votes doesn't effect anything in the long run but your own curiosity. I'm sure when there is time it'll be posted, but since it's in an excel file it'll probably be a bitch to type out.

There are no hard release dates yet because the process just started.

i think the main issue here is that the older/more diverse/more curmudgeon users like myself are outnumbered by the younger/more genre-specific users.

as excited as i am about this concept, i personally don't care for the majority of the top 15 (with the exception of #6 & #7 & maybe #15). unfortunately, it's not up to me alone. the vote is the vote... and that's that. my hope is that the project itself is successful and maybe down the line, the concept can branch out.

that being said, i propose those of use that would prefer to get handsome pressed start our own collective and make it happen.

um how about no? the 10" i pressed were a lil cheaper than 12"

if the falcon gets ok'd id say we do it at 45 rpm, and have it sound awesome on 10" or 12" then try to cram it on a 7"

I don't know where you pressed it.

But both United and Erika charge more to press a 10" than a 12".

I've seen it work both ways where 10" records weren't much different at all from 12" records. I was surprised. So you're both right, it just depends where you go to get things pressed.

gotta agree with that flicker bitch. you can separate it into "punk" and "progressive indie rock" but let's be honest: the shit on that list is all the same.

I guess i just fail to see the how Glassjaw sounds like Suicide Machines or Minus the Bear. Other than all having roots in the punk/metal/hardcore scene those are pretty different sounding records.

last thing i'll post in this thread as i dont want to get more backs up, but i find it bizarre that after asking for (non-shareholder) opinions on the list people that are expressing some doubts or constructivie criticism are getting shouted down by people that are involved as if the whole concept is being attacked, which in the majority it is not. like some of you guys say, why not stay POSI about the fact that people even have opinions to share on this exciting project and take some of it on board rather than putting backs to the wall; after all these are the people that will be in the main buying the records that get pressed.

if you dont want/cant tolerate to hear others opinions keep this stuff amongst shareholders or in the co-op section of the board.

last thing i'll post in this thread as i dont want to get more backs up, but i find it bizarre that after asking for (non-shareholder) opinions on the list people that are expressing some doubts or constructivie criticism are getting shouted down by people that are involved as if the whole concept is being attacked, which in the majority it is not. like some of you guys say, why not stay POSI about the fact that people even have opinions to share on this exciting project and take some of it on board rather than putting backs to the wall; after all these are the people that will be in the main buying the records that get pressed.

if you dont want/cant tolerate to hear others opinions keep this stuff amongst shareholders or in the co-op section of the board.

What would you consider getting shouted down? Expressing disagreement that Glassjaw sounds like Suicide Machines?

I've seen it work both ways where 10" records weren't much different at all from 12" records. I was surprised. So you're both right, it just depends where you go to get things pressed.

Why not just press it on a 12" if they are the same price? It will be better quality.

Totally agree. The only reason to go 10" would be if you could fit it all on a 10" at 45 since going to 12" would just it bigger and/or one-sided. Well that and some people just think 10"s are cool since they're different.

What would you consider getting shouted down? Expressing disagreement that Glassjaw sounds like Suicide Machines?

no not that, and i neither have the time or interest to go throught the thread to pick out examples, nor do i want to get into debating what constitutes 'shouting someone down'. Its just my observation that some of you dudes get over defensive in response to criticisms and can take a tone (if you can do that on the internet!) that seems belittling or aggresive. Like i said, its only peoples opinions, you guys are in the driving seat for this thing and can ultimately release whatever the hell you want, so why not ignore the obviously negative stuff and try and take on board anything constructive, it can surely only be beneficial to acknowledge feedback from your potential customers?

That really is the last thing im posting in here!!

1. Organization and Administration.

I understand that this is a board and everyone pretty much gets along, but someone needs to step up eventually. It needs an organized plan, a schedule and deadlines. from the like three topics i glanced at, it seems like the voting and this finalized list was supposed to be ready a long time ago...

Totally agree, and we've addressed it for next time. The list was late going up because V's kid got sick. The voting and finalizing of the list took about a month the first time around. Next time it'll move faster, although we've got a list that gives us plenty of records to work with before we need to vote again.

7 punk records. None of which really count as pop punk (you could probably make a case for Rx Bandits). And none of which are really hot with the Alt Press crowd.

1. Suicide Machines - Destruction by Definition

2. Falcon - God Don't Make No Trash

3. A Wilhelm Scream - Mute Print

5. Osker - Idle Will Kill

8. Rx Bandits - Progress

12. Cobra Skulls - Sitting Army

14. Suicide Machines - War Profiteering Is Killing Us All

Not pop-punk, but rather progressive indie rock

4. At the Drive In - Acrobatic Tenement

7. Minus the Bear - This is What I know about being gigantic

Indie pop bands, one of which is big w/ the Alt Press crowd, the other three all broke up because they couldn't sell enough records to survive thanks to being thrown in a niche of "emo."

6. Jealous Sound - Kill them with Kindness

9. Brand New - Devil and God are Raging

11. Dismemberment Plan - Emergency and I

13. Gatsbys American Dream - Volcano

Acoustic folk stuff. Does admittedly feature a member of a punk band.

10. Sundowner - Four One Five Two

A record that sounds like HUM w/ a turrets kid singing.

15. Glassjaw - Worship and Tribute

Sure I would like to see us some day release a Rosetta b-sides record or a Why? single or even a One Am Radio record if dude had anything that wasn't already pressed. But it isn't like it's full of My Chemical Romance or All Time Low records or something. Variety will come with time hopefully.

I'll keep asking the same questions until I get answers. Such as, "why can't we see the complete results?" How that is not a constructive point, I don't know.

Getting the top 15 was a good step in the right direction, now can we please keep up the communication momentum? thanks.

If asking the "tough" questions equals me being a "troll" so be it.

If you had ever had a single positive thing to add, didn't whine incessantly, or actually asked important questions you'd be less of a troll. However you jump from one bitch fest to another with little to no stopping in between. There aren't any "tough" questions to ask.

Shit moved a little slow the first time because it's a new process and we decided not to be dicks the first time around.

There is no master list that is being hidden from the people who have a share. It's just long as fuck and a knowing which album ultimately got three votes doesn't effect anything in the long run but your own curiosity. I'm sure when there is time it'll be posted, but since it's in an excel file it'll probably be a bitch to type out.

There are no hard release dates yet because the process just started.

I have to agree with Flicker on the genre disbursement, even after Loki split it up a bit more.

I think ATDI, Minus the Bear, and the Dismemberment Plan are the only ones that stand on their own outside of the [vague] "punk-genre." The rest can easily fall into a certain compartment somewhere.

There's a lot of records I want there, but it's not as diverse as you might think.