VC coop final list announced

Guest admin1338560633

I'm sorry but "I've kept my mouth shut about how I really feel" is such a bullshit cop out. It's just a nice way of saying you think it's stupid, which is fine. But if you have an issue with the idea of the co-op say so and see if you could make the idea better. I'm still amazed people with no dog in this race feel the need to talk shit about it, but instead of just foreshadowing your displeasure in the idea explain why you don't like it. I'm sure we'll all have pie on our faces when none of the records sell out, but until then why does this experiment bother people?

oh what the fuck ever dude. Maybe it is a cop out, but dont act like i NEED to think this is a good idea.

sorry for not wanting to start a major shitstorm this time...

I dont think you need to think it is a good idea in any way shape and or form, and I never said you need to think it's a good idea. Fuck I'm on the board and I have doubts about the whole thing. But it's an experiment and I'm going with it because I believe in the people behind it.

I just wish you'd say what you think wont work and how we could fix it rather than just saying "I've kept my mouth shut about how I feel about this." Seriously, the one time you don't have an opinion is this? How is asking for a little more than "think it's a bad idea" saying you have to think it's fantastic? Shit dude I wish the skeptics would speak up more, because it gives us a place to improve on. But most of the skeptics only have "It's stupid" or "I'll keep my opinions to myself" to offer.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Admin

I am glad to see everyone talking about the list both good and bad. I appreciate everyone's predictions on how quickly these records will sell or won't sell; it is not unlike sports fans rooting for their teams/talking crap on the opposing team. No one needs to take these thoughts personal. This is an experiment and sure there is the chance some of the pressings won't sell through.

My personal opinion is that after the shareholders get their copies (210), the band and label get their copies (200), we will have to sell around 590 copies. When we have 210 shareholders helping us to spread the word, I don't think it will be hard to sell through the remaining copies of a pressing. I am actually pretty glad that the list isn't dominated by really big bands. I was hopeful that some older less talked about records that have lasted throughout the years would scratch the surface and as a result new ears would check out these bands and records.

Time will tell how it goes, but the fact that there is so much debate only helps draw attention on the coop. It is exciting.

oh what the fuck ever dude. Maybe it is a cop out, but dont act like i NEED to think this is a good idea.

sorry for not wanting to start a major shitstorm this time...

I dont think you need to think it is a good idea in any way shape and or form, and I never said you need to think it's a good idea. Fuck I'm on the board and I have doubts about the whole thing. But it's an experiment and I'm going with it because I believe in the people behind it.

I just wish you'd say what you think wont work and how we could fix it rather than just saying "I've kept my mouth shut about how I feel about this." Seriously, the one time you don't have an opinion is this? How is asking for a little more than "think it's a bad idea" saying you have to think it's fantastic? Shit dude I wish the skeptics would speak up more, because it gives us a place to improve on. But most of the skeptics only have "It's stupid" or "I'll keep my opinions to myself" to offer.

Honestly, some of the folks WITH shares have spoken up in the co-op forum only to get slammed for asking questions/wondering on status of things & the stage of the project as a whole.

Getting the list was a big step and I think everyone involved is excited to see the project is really stepping in to gear.

I'm think the list is great, there's a couple of records that are sure fire sellers, some that are so good they deserve to be pressed and a few long shots that if pressed would be a huge deal for the co-op and music fans in general.

My personal opinion is that after the shareholders get their copies (210), the band and label get their copies (200), we will have to sell around 590 copies. When we have 210 shareholders helping us to spread the word, I don't think it will be hard to sell through the remaining copies of a pressing.

I think the 600 copies of almost any record put out by the label will sell out quickly as I know myself and many others have mentioned plans to buy a second copy of the releases.

I am glad to see everyone talking about the list both good and bad. I appreciate everyone's predictions on how quickly these records will sell or won't sell; it is not unlike sports fans rooting for their teams/talking crap on the opposing team. No one needs to take these thoughts personal. This is an experiment and sure there is the chance some of the pressings won't sell through.

My personal opinion is that after the shareholders get their copies (210), the band and label get their copies (200), we will have to sell around 590 copies. When we have 210 shareholders helping us to spread the word, I don't think it will be hard to sell through the remaining copies of a pressing. I am actually pretty glad that the list isn't dominated by really big bands. I was hopeful that some older less talked about records that have lasted throughout the years would scratch the surface and as a result new ears would check out these bands and records.

Time will tell how it goes, but the fact that there is so much debate only helps draw attention on the coop. It is exciting.

What happens with those 200 copies when the band in question is broken up and/or the label in question is a major? Since the Suicide Machines are our No. 1 choice, we should address that...

Honestly, some of the folks WITH shares have spoken up in the co-op forum only to get slammed for asking questions/wondering on status of things & the stage of the project as a whole.

Getting the list was a big step and I think everyone involved is excited to see the project is really stepping in to gear.

I'm think the list is great, there's a couple of records that are sure fire sellers, some that are so good they deserve to be pressed and a few long shots that if pressed would be a huge deal for the co-op and music fans in general.

Bowser as been slammed a lot, but it's mostly because he acts like a troll. And there is a difference between

50 "where is the list" "why isn't this moving faster" "dammit I'm a share-holder why aren't I personally calling labels" posts and skeptics who say "how are you going to spread the word about a 10 year old punk record getting pressed" or "how will you get kids with a five year back log of music to understand they should check out an older album" or "this really only caters to punk. Are you going to jump around between some of the more indie releases so the co-op doesn't just get the rep as being a 4punkbypunk label" etc. I've yet to see anyone make a constructive point or ask a constructive question and get slammed for it. Please point it out to me if and when it happens so we can do something about it. :)

1. Organization and Administration.

I understand that this is a board and everyone pretty much gets along, but someone needs to step up eventually. It needs an organized plan, a schedule and deadlines. from the like three topics i glanced at, it seems like the voting and this finalized list was supposed to be ready a long time ago...

2. The pop-punk collective.

EVERYONE THAT HAS A SHARE LISTENS TO THE SAME STUFF.

Look at the list of records on the list. Where is the variety? Where are the surprises? I mean this whole co-op may very well “succeed” in terms of selling records, but for me, as someone who doesn’t really care about most of these bands, the whole project is just one drawn out boring process that I could not even care less about. You’re only going to be selling records to the VC/punk News/AltPress crowd. And again, most of you won’t have a problem with it. But outside of those boards, no one else cares about this co-op. not at all.

I mean, just one hip-hop, shoegaze, or post-rock album would have me shutting my mouth and admitting I was wrong. But seriously, this list of albums is one of the most boring ‘upcoming album’ lists I have ever seen. You’re not attracting new customers. You’re pandering to the same small sect of music listeners, and I think that just stupid.

but maybe I just had different hopes for the whole thing...

I'll keep asking the same questions until I get answers. Such as, "why can't we see the complete results?" How that is not a constructive point, I don't know.

Getting the top 15 was a good step in the right direction, now can we please keep up the communication momentum? thanks.

If asking the "tough" questions equals me being a "troll" so be it.

Look at the list of records on the list. Where is the variety? Where are the surprises? I mean this whole co-op may very well “succeed” in terms of selling records, but for me, as someone who doesn’t really care about most of these bands, the whole project is just one drawn out boring process that I could not even care less about. You’re only going to be selling records to the VC/punk News/AltPress crowd. And again, most of you won’t have a problem with it. But outside of those boards, no one else cares about this co-op. not at all.

I mean, just one hip-hop, shoegaze, or post-rock album would have me shutting my mouth and admitting I was wrong. But seriously, this list of albums is one of the most boring ‘upcoming album’ lists I have ever seen. You’re not attracting new customers. You’re pandering to the same small sect of music listeners, and I think that just stupid.

but on the same argument... if the kids that are voting don't want variety (which there is... i mean don't tell me dismemberment plan sounds like suicide machines which doesnt sound like minus the bear) then they're putting out records that they want to own... if you're not into hip hop or shoegaze... why would you want to release it? at my label we only release records we want to hear by bands we love... why would this one be any different?

I'll keep asking the same questions until I get answers. Such as, "why can't we see the complete results?" How that is not a constructive point, I don't know.

Getting the top 15 was a good step in the right direction, now can we please keep up the communication momentum? thanks.

If asking the "tough" questions equals me being a "troll" so be it.

because theres no need to see complete results unless we have to pass #15 to get 4 yes's. its not constructive.. its a waste of time. You complained that virgil didnt post the top list, and now that he did you're complaining about something else.

how about we let virgil not worry about posting lists of shit thats now irrelevant and let him talk to labels/bands?

but on the same argument... if the kids that are voting don't want variety (which there is... i mean don't tell me dismemberment plan sounds like suicide machines which doesnt sound like minus the bear) then they're putting out records that they want to own... if you're not into hip hop or shoegaze... why would you want to release it? at my label we only release records we want to hear by bands we love... why would this one be any different?

Well and I don't really think Acrobatic Tenement is anything near pop punk.

also someone mentioned early that he wishes the bled was on the list and that would sell

i think most people on the co-op, at least the ones who actively post, are a little bit older and dont want to see some flavor of the week pressed. honestly i think any of the top 15 releases would sell faster than the bled. im not trying to knock your taste its just my opinion

and i think thats the problem with a lot of peoples arguments, its opinion based on what they think of the band. YOU dont like the band so YOU dont think it will sell. that, to me, is not looking at the big picture

you obviously got my point then.................................................................................................................... ........................

fact is out of the list of 15, nothing stands out. like i said. most of you wont have a problem with it, you're getting what you wanted. but outside of these boards no one cares.

2. Falcon - God Don't Make No Trash

6. Jealous Sound - Kill them with Kindness

9. Brand New - Devil and God are Raging

10. Sundowner - Four One Five Two

15.Glassjaw - Worship and Tribute

would definitely buy GJ, BN, and the jealous sound. i'd consider buying the falcon and sundowner. the rest doesn't do much for me. and to everyone doubting if these will sell or not, they've already sold 200 without being pressed. the other 800 will most likely sell, this is VC.

fact is out of the list of 15, nothing stands out. like i said. most of you wont have a problem with it, you're getting what you wanted. but outside of these boards no one cares.

Well the fact of the matter is the co-op opporunity was not really offered to people outside these boards. I doubt co-op opportunities were offered on hip-hop or classical music forums. People on this board, punknews, etc., are into the music that was voted on. Plus, if we were to press something like, say, Arvo Part's Lamentate, people would bitch all the way to the end of the earth. "OMG the collective voted for some new age classical composer! I thought they were supposed to vote for records we might want to buy!" I think that is what we did. We voted for records that a majority of people in our demographic would like to have.

the falcon will be a ten inch

Sounds like this one is already a done deal. I wondered why it was #2....

Wouldn't pressing an EP also mean that we would have to sell it for a lower cost opposed to an LP, which would then throw off all the numbers for the next pressing? Or can you get 1200 10"s for the price of 1000 12"s?

10"s cost more to make that 12"s.

Also, as a non shareholder only ones I care about are Jealous Sound and Dismemberment Plan.

Sounds like this one is already a done deal. I wondered why it was #2....

Wouldn't pressing an EP also mean that we would have to sell it for a lower cost opposed to an LP, which would then throw off all the numbers for the next pressing? Or can you get 1200 10"s for the price of 1000 12"s?

10"s cost more to make that 12"s.

Also, as a non shareholder only ones I care about are Jealous Sound and Dismemberment Plan.

if that's true, why not just do a one sided 12" with some sort of sweet etching?