VC coop final list announced

Guest admin1338560633

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

wtf, just because this board is probably 99% male, doesn't mean shit like that is okay or funny. some people actually think this way, so when someone who isn't a sexist piece of shit says stuff like that, the real assholes think its okay. and laughing it off sends the same message.

You must have hated Borat...

first of all, its not stupid to care. second, you obviously completely missed some key points from that film. i understand it may be sarcasm, i addressed this already.

All i know is none of my picks made it into the final catagory, and i'm fine with that, because there still is more than a handful of good picks that i wouldnt have chose otherwise that i'm actually excited about.. i was really hoping for SMOKING POPES - Born to Quit though since the band owns the rights and it may have been feasible...I'm pulling for Falcon though!!!

No, you better not be serious.

wtf, just because this board is probably 99% male, doesn't mean shit like that is okay or funny. some people actually think this way, so when someone who isn't a sexist piece of shit says stuff like that, the real assholes think its okay. and laughing it off sends the same message.

I would just like to point out that when I'm not responding to hyper PC dudes with too much self righteousness and not enough sense, I spend a great deal of my life working with battered women and their children, teaching little kids to read for little to no money, and help underprivileged kids get medical care. I might think insanely over the top sarcastic sexism is funny, but I sleep just fine at night. Some people also think abortion is wrong. Doesn't mean dead baby jokes aren't funny as hell. Laughing at a sick joke doesn't make things ok. It re-enforces that the topic at hand is fucked up. Christ in Heaven.

loki is right, jokes are funny.

also, on diversity: fuck diversity. saul williams is getting pressed by someone who will be able to sell it. i'm quite certain anything connected to nine inch nails in any way is a little beyond our wheelhouse here. personally in the voting process i didn't vote for anything too far outside the spectrum of what's represented because it was foolish to think that something outside of what's considered to be a hot vinyl market right now would sell to the target audience. yeah, we're aiming at alt press and vc and punknews because they're generally snot-nosed kids spending their allowances or part-time job money on vinyl because it's getting hip in the 'overarching genre' to do so. i have no problem with that. it makes way more sense to me to have voted for something within the spectrum represented that i like and think will sell than to throw in a wasted vote for cut copy, crystal castles, or nicole mitchell's xenogenesis suite.

i listen to a lot of shit, but i also have common sense. i can understand the hope for something out of the ordinary to make it in, but at the beginning when we're just hoping to drum up capital i wouldn't expect anyone to make that decision, even if they do want to mix it up.

personally, i'm stoked by the responses from non-shareholders in this thread because even among the ones that said they were only interested in one or two releases there was some variety in which of the 15 they'd like to buy. that tells me that from a representative sampling we've got a good chance of moving pretty much everything on the list. i hope it happens so that nicole mitchell gets her fair shake at releasing an LP.

"What in the hell's diversity?"

"I believe its an old, old wooden ship from the civil war era."

That being said, i voted for what i liked while trying to make sure it would..

a. sell, and

b. be something that i believe my peers would also back.

i think the list is well rounded, minus the bear and suicide machines do not sound alike, i dont care how you cut it. im sure if everyone in the co-op wanted a jazz record, they would have voted for it.

it was a pipe dream, regarding some jazz..it would be something i would have freaked out about, that it happened, but i wasn't holding my breath.

i knew what was gonna be up there, and i had faith that at least half of the stuff people voted for would be something i'd like. And guess what...it did.. now i'm really psyched about the FALCON stuff, mainly because i had never heard them till recently when the first list came out and i heard them and really dug them.. which i'm happy about, because that's one more band i like due to this board.

Man, I would love to have seen some Sonny Rollins or Albert Ayler anthology.

I'm a huge Sonny Rollins fan. I read a New Yorker article that said there's a guy that has recorded every live Sonny Rollins performance for the past 30 years or something crazy. Someone is supposed to be releasing the best ones shortly.

I agree with loki on the jokes.

Plus life is too short to get your panties ruffled over every little offensive comment someone makes. You're generally not going to make a difference to that person who has grown up already, which is why I spend a lot of time working with kids. They're still mold-able.