VC coop final list announced

Guest admin1338560633

That's kind of what they're suppose to do. Most likely if one person wants it 1000 other people do too.

As for the people who say they haven't heard the bands or know about their popularity, why don't you go check them out? I'm sure they all have MySpace pages. Maybe, gasp, you'll find something new you'll like. Never know, it could happen.

While i appreciate and enjoy discovering new bands, generally i buy records of bands i've heard of before ones ive just found. Having to search out the bands in order to decide if you want to buy the record or not kind of reduces the chances of sales though dont you think? Now i'm aware that getting records from high profile bands was out of the question, but bands that are well known enough to quickly sell 1000 copies were not and I think maybe people were a little selfish with their voting and disregarded the bigger picture. As for your argument that if one person likes it, the chances are that 999 others will too, well I fail to see any logic in that at all. That's just my opinion though and there seems to be some well placed dudes in the industry involved with this project so maybe im wrong.

I'm not having a dig at the label, i think its a great idea and i'd have got a share given the chance, but i'm still a little surprised by the contents of the final list is all. Someone asked for non-shareholder opinion and im offering some, take it or leave it.

Okay so you like Glassjaw and Glassjaw was on the list so don't you think other people involved also like Glassjaw? Therefore, don't you think other people involved in voting share some of your likes? So don't you think maybe some of the bands you haven't heard of you should check out since people with similar tastes enjoy them?

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ding ding ding

That's kind of what they're suppose to do. Most likely if one person wants it 1000 other people do too.

As for the people who say they haven't heard the bands or know about their popularity, why don't you go check them out? I'm sure they all have MySpace pages. Maybe, gasp, you'll find something new you'll like. Never know, it could happen.

yeah, no way would i vote for something i didn't want.

yeah, no way would i vote for something i didn't want.

and i don't necessarily think you should be expected to, that's the risk that was taken allowing "normal" people to buy a share and vote. it's just difficult to see the bigger picture sometimes, i understand.

Non-shareholder here. I'll say there's a few albums that I'd be happy to buy from that list, most notably being Rx Bandits. Beyond that Suicide Machines and A Wilhelm Scream.

I don't know what albums out there people think the CO-OP could have a reasonable chance at getting that would sell much better than these...

While i appreciate and enjoy discovering new bands, generally i buy records of bands i've heard of before ones ive just found. Having to search out the bands in order to decide if you want to buy the record or not kind of reduces the chances of sales though dont you think? Now i'm aware that getting records from high profile bands was out of the question, but bands that are well known enough to quickly sell 1000 copies were not and I think maybe people were a little selfish with their voting and disregarded the bigger picture. As for your argument that if one person likes it, the chances are that 999 others will too, well I fail to see any logic in that at all. That's just my opinion though and there seems to be some well placed dudes in the industry involved with this project so maybe im wrong.

I'm not having a dig at the label, i think its a great idea and i'd have got a share given the chance, but i'm still a little surprised by the contents of the final list is all. Someone asked for non-shareholder opinion and im offering some, take it or leave it.

Okay so you like Glassjaw and Glassjaw was on the list so don't you think other people involved also like Glassjaw? Therefore, don't you think other people involved in voting share some of your likes? So don't you think maybe some of the bands you haven't heard of you should check out since people with similar tastes enjoy them?

That maybe true, but that's just not the reality of how people decide which records theyre going to spend their money on based on my experience. Surely that should have been the main consideration when making what is essentially a business decision? Also as much as I'd love to see GJ get pressed, chances are it won't based on the expenses of getting the rights for a major label release. Now maybe in the future if the co-op had some success it would be possible but not immediately, and people should have realised this when voting, like wise for brand new.

Like I said, this is just my opinion and I'd love for this project to do well as it'd be a ideal vehicle to get some great stuff pressed but I'm a little perplexed by how people that did manage to get involved have acted so far.

much better than i expected. stoked for the following:

1. Suicide Machines - Destruction by Definition

2. Falcon - God Don't Make No Trash

3. A Wilhelm Scream - Mute Print

5. Osker - Idle Will Kill

8. Rx Bandits - Progress

10. Sundowner - Four One Five Two

11. Dismemberment Plan - Emergency and I

12. Cobra Skulls - Sitting Army

14. Suicide Machines - War Profiteering Is Killing Us All

osker is more of a don't care, but still wouldn't mind getting. already have it on cd from years ago. we should just negotiate with toby to do all of redscare's vinyl, since he ususally complains about it costing to much to press but wanting to do it.

not a share holder but heres my 2 cents:

glassjaw, atd-i brand new (even though it has a pointless spot on the list) and osker are about the only things that grab my eye, hell i've not even heard a couple of those bands that make the cut. Im not aware of the popularity of some of those bands, but do you guys really think this stuff will sell?? and why the fuck didnt the bleds 'pass the flask' make the cut, that is a perfect record for this project if you ask me, well know band on a smallish label and a great record with potential for a sweet package and hasnt been pressed. seems like the majority voted with the short term of what they really wanted pressed for their own collections in mind rather than looking long term at what would sell well and raise the profile of the label for future pressings.

Considering Suicide Machines (if we get it) have a massive fanbase that consider Destruction by Def one of the greatest punk records ever and their sole other album on wax sells for around 60-80 bucks regularly on ebay I'm pretty sure we could move those records.

But most importantly, who cares if shit sells out quickly? This is a project about getting records we love pressed. If it takes a little longer cause we chose stuff we liked so fucking be it.

Didn't know all the bands, checked them out and don't mind getting:

1. Suicide Machines - Destruction by Definition

2. Falcon - God Don't Make No Trash

3. A Wilhelm Scream - Mute Print

5. Osker - Idle Will Kill

10. Sundowner - Four One Five Two

12. Cobra Skulls - Sitting Army

14. Suicide Machines - War Profiteering Is Killing Us All

not a share holder but heres my 2 cents:

glassjaw, atd-i brand new (even though it has a pointless spot on the list) and osker are about the only things that grab my eye, hell i've not even heard a couple of those bands that make the cut. Im not aware of the popularity of some of those bands, but do you guys really think this stuff will sell?? and why the fuck didnt the bleds 'pass the flask' make the cut, that is a perfect record for this project if you ask me, well know band on a smallish label and a great record with potential for a sweet package and hasnt been pressed. seems like the majority voted with the short term of what they really wanted pressed for their own collections in mind rather than looking long term at what would sell well and raise the profile of the label for future pressings.

are you really serious?

Suicide Machines - DBD - one of the most classic ska-punk records of all time.. this record could easily sell 5k+ copies... this band was pretty huge, and still has a dedicated following all over the world over a decade after this record came out.

Falcon - members of lawrence arms + alkaline trio. alk3 makes their major label debut next month, hot topic would probably buy the entire pressing of this record on the day we get it. totally solid pick. their last record has been selling on ebay for 30-60 bucks for over a year now.

dismemberment plan - serious cult following, and easily one of the best indie rock albums of the last decade.

besides the obvious long shots of atdi, bn and gj... those are just the first 3 that jump off at me... solid records, by solid bands, with members who are very important to the nderground scene.

can't we keep all this stuff in the co-op section?

i mean, i've held my tongue about most of what i think about the whole thing, but thats mostly due to the fact that i dont even look at the co-op section...

also, the only record i'd buy would be mtb.

Agree wholeheartedly, except I wouldn't buy the MTB record. I've also kept my mouth shut about how I feel about the co-op.

I know it won't fall to Minus the Bear or Brand New, but I hope both of those (somehow) get pressed someday.

Are you suggesting a new vote after every successful pressing? I say we stick with what we've got for a few pressings at least. And I'm not even too stoked on the top 15 list.

It's not like people aren't going to vote for the same shit anyway, and it would save time.

Ok, as someone who voted for what some of you apparently consider to be terrible non-marketable records I will throw in my opinion of this project.

I think some of you underestimate how well these records will sell. I speak only for myself but I will happily buy a black copy of almost every record on that list in addition to my free copy.

In addition, I would happily press that Suicide Machines record and have the label fold before I ever took part in releasing something that I hate. That IS the big picture for me. I am doing this so records that I have always wanted to own on vinyl get a proper release.

If that means that we release 10 albums, all of things I consider to be quality releases rather than 20 of what I consider to be spotty at best (and seriously if you're not in high school and you're listening to the bled...come on) so be it.

can't we keep all this stuff in the co-op section?

i mean, i've held my tongue about most of what i think about the whole thing, but thats mostly due to the fact that i dont even look at the co-op section...

also, the only record i'd buy would be mtb.

Agree wholeheartedly, except I wouldn't buy the MTB record. I've also kept my mouth shut about how I feel about the co-op.

I'm sorry but "I've kept my mouth shut about how I really feel" is such a bullshit cop out. It's just a nice way of saying you think it's stupid, which is fine. But if you have an issue with the idea of the co-op say so and see if you could make the idea better. I'm still amazed people with no dog in this race feel the need to talk shit about it, but instead of just foreshadowing your displeasure in the idea explain why you don't like it. I'm sure we'll all have pie on our faces when none of the records sell out, but until then why does this experiment bother people?

I'm sorry but "I've kept my mouth shut about how I really feel" is such a bullshit cop out. It's just a nice way of saying you think it's stupid, which is fine. But if you have an issue with the idea of the co-op say so and see if you could make the idea better. I'm still amazed people with no dog in this race feel the need to talk shit about it, but instead of just foreshadowing your displeasure in the idea explain why you don't like it. I'm sure we'll all have pie on our faces when none of the records sell out, but until then why does this experiment bother people?

I have the same curiosity. I mean people who otherwise seem smart and open-minded for some reason have a big problem with this label structure. Like it offends their sense of how things should work. Even though, as it stands, the way things work for the most part fails both artist and label. I just don't get why there's so much animosity and not more "hey, that's interesting, i hope it works because it means more records."

oh what the fuck ever dude. Maybe it is a cop out, but dont act like i NEED to think this is a good idea.

sorry for not wanting to start a major shitstorm this time...