PO: Kamasi Washington - "The Epic" Deluxe 3xLP Box Set

The Epic is one of the best albums of the year, and Kamasi has been involved with some of the other best albums in the last 12 months (FlyLo's "You're Dead!" and Kendrick's "To Pimp A Butterfly") 3 hours of insane and beautiful jazz.

Preorders are up for the deluxe vinyl box set.

From Brainfeeder:

"3 x black 180g 12"s in artworked 3mm spined sleeves all housed in a rigid board outer slipcase. Half speed cut by Matt Colton at Alchemy Mastering. Includes 2 x 12" poster inserts featuring exclusive artwork by KC Woolf Haxton and story adaptation and calligraphy by Kenturah Davis. MP3 download code also enclosed."

UK: http://ninjatune.net/release/kamasi-washington/the-epic

US: http://www.amazon.com/Epic-Vinyl-Kamasi-Washington/dp/B00Y3VDR0C/ref=tmm_vnl_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1428504455&sr=8-1

$40, ships in early October. No word on pressing numbers yet.

Finally! So psyched for this. That price is a lot better than what I was anticipating, too. I'm a bit surprised they squeezed all of this onto three albums, even with the reworked track list. 

That was a surprise to me, they managed to fit just under 3 hours onto 3 records.

Gotta love that price, even though the Ninjatune shop mentions a "limited early bird pre-order price" so that might rise before too long.

They are really pushing the lengths on these sides.

Disc 1 will have 31 mins on side A and 27 mins on side B.

Disc 2 will have 25 mins on side C and 31 mins on side D.

Disc 3 will have 27 mins on side E and 31 mins on side F.

(If you organize the tracks any other way than how I calculated, you get sides with > 31 mins, so I'm pretty sure I calcuated it accurately)

Aren't you not supposed to go in the high 20-minutes or something on a side?

Maybe the half speed mastering helps reduce any issues? But yeah, I'm surprised this isn't 4LPs.

They probably need to save something to do in the future because it's an instant classic

Yeah, The Seer was 30 minutes shorter than this and they had to split up tracks to fit it on a 3LP.

I mean, I don't think they'd let this release have a problematic pressing, but it is a bit worrying. If they decide to do a 4LP repress I hope it'll be aways from now.

They are really pushing the lengths on these sides.

Disc 1 will have 31 mins on side A and 27 mins on side B.

Disc 2 will have 25 mins on side C and 31 mins on side D.

Disc 3 will have 27 mins on side E and 31 mins on side F.

(If you organize the tracks any other way than how I calculated, you get sides with > 31 mins, so I'm pretty sure I calcuated it accurately)

Aren't you not supposed to go in the high 20-minutes or something on a side?

According to Brainfeeder,

" It was cut at Half Speed by Alchemy Mastering in the UK. This is actually one of the reasons it took so long for this pressing to be done right. The sound quality is very important to us and Kamasi, so we had to get it right. There is no loss of quality by cutting our vinyl using this method."

https://www.facebook.com/brainfeederrecords/posts/10153519992934631