Underappreciated Artist (pre-1990) Thread

Based on the discussions that were going on in the top 10 list, I thought it would be fun to continue further discussions about music. Let's look at bands/artists who you feel are too routinely underrated/underappreciated.

The Rules (arbitrary, but they exist):

-must be an artist whose heyday was pre-1990.

-should be an artist with more than just local appeal 

-could be critically loved but commercially unsuccessful, or commercially successful but never appreciated after their fame

For each artist you share

Artist name:

Why you think they're underappreciated:

For Fans Of:

2-3 songs and/or 2-3 albums worth checking out:

I'm very curious to hear about some bands. My Spotify is waiting...

Okay here's one.

Artist name:

Nick Lowe

Such a talented songwriter - in some ways probably best known for his association with Elvis Costello (Lowe wrote What's So Funny About Peace, Love, and Understanding). He had a legit hit with Cruel To Be Kind, but he made some amazing music later in his career - some stellar albums in the mid 80s.

For Fans Of: Weezer, the Posies, Teenage Fanclub, Wilco

Albums:

Pure Pop for Now People (known as Jesus of Cool in the UK)

The Rose of England

The Impossible Bird

Songs:

So It Goes

I Knew The Bride When She Used to Rock n Roll

I Live on a Battlefield

Artist: Shoes

Albums: Black Vinyl Shoes, Tongue Twister, Present Tense

Heavily influenced by Big Star. If you dig Alex Chilton or Chris Bell you'll find something to enjoy in Shoes. They recorded one of their earlier albums on the 70's in their living room...a bit ahead of their time as far as home-recording is concerned. Never hear anybody ever talking about them. Great music.

Artist: Shoes

Albums: Black Vinyl Shoes, Tongue Twister, Present Tense

Heavily influenced by Big Star. If you dig Alex Chilton or Chris Bell you'll find something to enjoy in Shoes. They recorded one of their earlier albums on the 70's in their living room...a bit ahead of their time as far as home-recording is concerned. Never hear anybody ever talking about them. Great music.

Shoes are great - you're right that they're not very often discussed, though I do believe their back catalogue was recently re-released. I have an OG copy of Present Tense and I definitely dig it. Part of my late 70s-early 80s power pop collection (including the Plimsouls, Romantics, Suburbs, Barracudas, and so many more).

Artist name: Generation X

I think most people only know them for "Dancing with Myself", which many more people think is just a Billy Idol song. The band at different times featured: Idol, James Stevenson(from the really under appreciated, Chelsea), Terrry Chimes(Clash), Mark Laff(Subway Sect), Tony James(Sigue Sigue Sputnik, Sisters of Mercy).

There is an angry and yet mostly yearning feeling to their music. I go back and forth between their first self-titled and Valley of the Dolls. Their first record mostly focuses on rebellious youth themes. Dolls definitely shows their growth and "The Prime of Kenny Silvers I and II" reminds me of an epic punk rock song by the Who.

For Fans Of:

The Clash, Rancid, The Who, and ?

I don't think they really sound like those bands, but I can't think of any other comparisons.

I would buy all three records, even including the GEN X lp. If I HAD to choose one, I would buy Valley of the Dolls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDMNe0Z_J80

Love Nick Lowe, Labour of Lust is one of my favorites. 

Artist name: The Mice

They weren't around very long, and didn't release much, but what they did was some seriously great power pop.

For Fans Of:

Superchunk, Replacements, Guided By Voices, Big Star, ROCK N ROLL. 

Pretty much everything is on the compilation "For Almost Ever Scooter," which is on Spotify. "Rescue You Too," "Bye Bye Kitty Cat," and "Not Proud of the USA" are some of my favorites. 

https://youtu.be/inIoc27BUbA