The Biggest Loser - VC Edition 2016

Buffbloom

so yeah i can't update the google docs for some reason.  i haven't been able to acces VC through firefox so when i use explorer and open the DOC there is no cursor to slide right to my name. 

lost a pound but i also haven't been doing anything either.  start working out this week and have stopped my ice cream before bed habit.  i literally eat 700 calories before bed.  i put a coupld of spoonfuls of peanut butter in a bowl with some cookie dough ice cream and m&m's. 

Anyone here have a Fitbit? I used some Amazon credit and picked one up. If anyone else has one, please look me up under email [email protected] and let's get some steps in together! Mine arrives tomorrow, so I'll be kicking it off with some serious cardio tomorrow.

i actually have a fitbit but don't use it.  i can't stand wearing bracelets so i never put the thing on.  i have to count steps for my wife's insurance so the cleveland clinic supplies a pebble to count steps so i use that.  i should actually wear both on the same day to see if my steps are the same.

my wife says her fitbit will count certain motions as steps like cutting vegetables or something like that.  is that true? i always tell her if she is needing steps to just give me a handy...haha. 

so yeah i can't update the google docs for some reason.  i haven't been able to acces VC through firefox so when i use explorer and open the DOC there is no cursor to slide right to my name. 

lost a pound but i also haven't been doing anything either.  start working out this week and have stopped my ice cream before bed habit.  i literally eat 700 calories before bed.  i put a coupld of spoonfuls of peanut butter in a bowl with some cookie dough ice cream and m&m's. 

my wife says her fitbit will count certain motions as steps like cutting vegetables or something like that.  is that true?

In explorer, try to choose a cell and walk to the right with the right arrow.

Loosing that habit will probably help a lot! I stopped my night snacking and changed it for a cup of roiboos tea. i don't eat anything after six.

It could if it measures hand movements instead of hip movement.

In explorer, try to choose a cell and walk to the right with the right arrow.

Loosing that habit will probably help a lot! I stopped my night snacking and changed it for a cup of roiboos tea. i don't eat anything after six.

It could if it measures hand movements instead of hip movement.

It's a bit expensive but I really like this stuff and 1 order goes a very long way

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00CKJ41HW/ref=sr_ph_1_a_it?qid=1457525018&sr=sr-1&keywords=rooibos+matcha

The problem with most activity trackers like the fitbit and fuel band is that they are worn on the hand and do count basically any movement as as a step. I'm a PE teacher and we have pedometers but they're just as unreliable. The kids shake them to get their step out up. I had a fuel band and I loved it, it was more of a motivator to get up and move especially if you set the (fuel/step) goal high.

I saw that jump down to 214-215, amazing. What did you do the day before?

I'm writing up what I'm doing today and I'll post it later, it works really well for me, I can't say it's for everyone but the proof for me is in the weight loss thus far. This past Saturday I still ate like a monster (dozen wings, bag of gummy bears, 3 peanut butter rice crispy treats, and a huge egg and sausage roll) but Sunday I was back on only gaining around .6 lbs. It's all about consistency, weight loss is the sum of your actions through the weeks, months, years staying consistent, not one day of eating like a mad man. The other end of it is keeping yourself in a caloric deficit which I'll explain more in my post later.  

It's a bit expensive but I really like this stuff and 1 order goes a very long way

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00CKJ41HW/ref=sr_ph_1_a_it?qid=1457525018&sr=sr-1&keywords=rooibos+matcha

Cool, how many cups you reckon? I drink a blueberry one pretty regularly which tastes awesome. Also like vanilla, mango/yoghurt and liqourice.

First I’m gonna start off by saying this works for me and may not be for everyone and people may disagree with my methods but again this is tailored for me, created by me.

I’m borrowing things from a few schools of dieting and fitting them into what makes most sense to me. I use IIFYM (If It Fits Your Macros), intermittent fasting, and a little paleo. I’ll post links of the best sites I’ve found to explain each to help you understand a bit more. I count macros, macros are protein, fat, and carbs, each macro has a calorie point associated with it; protein is 4 calories per gram, fat is 9 calories per gram, and carbs are 4 calories per gram. I aim to hit within a certain range of macros and calories per day. Currently my calorie range is 1,931 calories per day which equals out to 169 grams of protein, 145 grams of carbs, and 75 grams of fat; so the break down looks like this:

145 grams of carbs x4= 580 calories from carbs per day

169 grams of protein x4= 676 calories from protein per day

75 grams of fat x9= 675 calories from fat per day

580+676+675= 1,931 calories per day

In a few weeks I will drop carbs by 80 calories a day so 20 grams so I will be around 500 calories from carbs per day.

I hate when people say I’m carb sensitive, no you’re just ingesting too may carbs. Often times people consume too much of one thing in their diet and not enough of another, most foods are high(er) in carbs and fat. Protein is just as important. This is where the paleo part comes in; paleo is a diet made almost entirely for whole foods; complex carbs, fats and protein. My body works well with higher fat and protein, for the first few weeks I’m a little sluggish from carb depletion but then I get back to normal as far as energy and feeling normal. By summer over the next 3 months I plan on being around 100 g of carbs a day which isn’t much, but getting these carbs from complex carb foods I should be ok. However, that’s the lowest I’ve ever gone on carbs so I’ll have to wait and see. 6 out of 7 days a week I’m very consistent with my diet, I log my food on myfitnesspal and weigh everything prior to eating. Honestly it’s not for everyone and people often think I’m crazy but it only takes a few minutes from my day and I spend maybe 2 hours on Sunday meal prepping for the week. One day a week I’ll indulge a bit, like my last post said I went a bit nutty on Saturday. However, with that being said I don’t go crazy and I make sure I’m super on the rest of the time. I also use a process called intermittent fasting (I.F.) which is simply going a certain amount of time with no food. There are plenty of people who call bullshit on I.F. but again, I enjoy it and like the challenge. My fast usually lasts 12-16 hours, now I don’t go balls to the wall with it and make sure I’m done eating by 6pm I have dinner when I have dinner whether it’s at 6-7-8 or 9 I have my dinner. The body doesn’t store more food as fat at night because we’re less active; it stores fat because we have an overabundance of calories during the day/night. Most people think this because they tend to binge eat at night, how many nights I have spent watching Netflix and killing a pint of ice cream or a bag of doritos is countless hahaha but it’s that overabundance of calories that leads to weight gain. I’ll post the rest of this later today and what a day of eating looks like for me.

I do the same thing as Thomas with the macros, which I've probably strayed away from accurate measurements a

bit and need to get that back under control.

My meals Monday through Friday:

(every third day, i'll up meals 2-4 to 1 cup of cooked rice and have 2 cups of broccoli with meal 6.

meal 1

3/4 cup of egg whites

2 whole eggs

1/4 cup of rolled oats

meal 2

5-6 oz chicken breast

1/2 cup cooked brown rice

meal 3

5-6 oz chicken breast

meal 4

5-6 oz chicken breast

meal 5 (post workout)

1 scoop protein

1 banana or 1/2 cup blueberries

meal 6

6 oz tilapia or salmon

1 cup broccoli

Sat and Sun I'll usually have the same thing for breakfast and meals 2-4. Might go eat out once or twice over the weekend though, but I don't get anything too out of control.

I weightlift and do insanity max 30 for my cardio either before or after my workout depending on how I feel.

Mon: Shoulders & Insanity

Tues: Back & Insanity

Wed: Abs & Calves & Insanity

Thursday: Chest

Friday: Arms & Insanity

Sat: Legs & calves

Sun: abs & Insanity

My meals today so far look like this:

Breakfast:
40g dry oats (oatmeal) Macros: 27c/2.5f/5p
32g protein (MTS Pumpkin spice) Macros: 1.5c/2.5f/25p
28g almonds Macros: 6c/14f/6p
2 fish oil pills Macros: 0c/2f/0p

Total: 34.5c/21f/30p and a total of 453 calories

Lunch:
75g Avocado Macros: 6.4c/11f/1.5p
93g asparagus Macros: 4c/0f/2p
5 oz. ground turkey Macros: 0c/10f/27.5p

Total: 10.4c/21f/29p and a total of 340 calories

Leaving me with 1,139 calories and 100g of carbs/33g of fat/102g of protein for the rest of the day.

My afternoon snack will most likely be a Greek yogurt and fiber one bar, then I’ll kill the rest of my macros/calories at dinner. I’ll post the rest later tonight. I also track fiber which I'll talk about later as well.

First I’m gonna start off by saying this works for me and may not be for everyone and people may disagree with my methods but again this is tailored for me, created by me.

I’m borrowing things from a few schools of dieting and fitting them into what makes most sense to me. I use IIFYM (If It Fits Your Macros), intermittent fasting, and a little paleo. I’ll post links of the best sites I’ve found to explain each to help you understand a bit more. I count macros, macros are protein, fat, and carbs, each macro has a calorie point associated with it; protein is 4 calories per gram, fat is 9 calories per gram, and carbs are 4 calories per gram. I aim to hit within a certain range of macros and calories per day. Currently my calorie range is 1,931 calories per day which equals out to 169 grams of protein, 145 grams of carbs, and 75 grams of fat; so the break down looks like this:

145 grams of carbs x4= 580 calories from carbs per day

169 grams of protein x4= 676 calories from protein per day

75 grams of fat x9= 675 calories from fat per day

580+676+675= 1,931 calories per day

In a few weeks I will drop carbs by 80 calories a day so 20 grams so I will be around 500 calories from carbs per day.

How'd you determine your total daily calorie intake?

How'd you determine your total daily calorie intake?

That was a bit tougher and it took a few months to figure out what worked for me. Lots of trial and error I've always messed around with macros but it wasn't until December that I really started to hit pay dirt. Check out http://www.iifym.com/iifym-calculator/it'll give you a good starting point and then I can help you fill in the rest if you'd like.

That was a bit tougher and it took a few months to figure out what worked for me. Lots of trial and error I've always messed around with macros but it wasn't until December that I really started to hit pay dirt. Check out http://www.iifym.com/iifym-calculator/it'll give you a good starting point and then I can help you fill in the rest if you'd like.

Gotcha, I'll check that out. Thanks!

Thanks for the information and suggestions on meals!

Aah, I'm still fighting off a cold, which means not as much excercise as I want and need. also, eating worse than I should. Gotta step this up now! I used to do LCHF, which worked wonders for me, but I don't feel like doing it this time.

Anyone see the new pics on Zac Efron? That's what I'm gonna look like after this.

Thanks for the information and suggestions on meals!

Aah, I'm still fighting off a cold, which means not as much excercise as I want and need. also, eating worse than I should. Gotta step this up now! I used to do LCHF, which worked wonders for me, but I don't feel like doing it this time.

Anyone see the new pics on Zac Efron? That's what I'm gonna look like after this.

Hope you feel better fast so you can get on track to those goals; to look like Zac Efron is a great goal.

I'm failing badly at this so far. I hurt my sciatica (pretty sure, at least). So I haven't been incredibly active. I need to kick this into another gear and get going.

Damn, hope you get better. Good luck!

I guess there is one good thing to come out of SXSW for me; I won't be tempted to eat from anywhere in Austin,

including food trucks, which are my kryptonite.

Losing weight is going to be the best thing for your sciatica.

You also don't need to be incredibly active. Far more import to eat right. You can easily throw an entire hour at the gym away with 1 cheeseburger.

I like the saying "you can't out train a bad diet"

This really clicked reading it for some reason, even though I definitely knew it.  It's actually incredibly motivating for me since I despise the gym... I can't handle the dude-bros, raging assholes, vanity, and general atmosphere of those places.  I need more friends that like to go hiking and shit, that's more my thing.

But anyway, I can pretty easily shift my thinking process to 'I could eat badforyou option A (and probably feel gross after), or better for you option B and not have to go to the gym for an hour.

From what I have understood, eating healthy (right amount of calories) goes a long way. Combining that with a couple, or three, walks a week is even better.

And who says you need the gym to work out? I haven't been to the gym in ages, I always work out at home. 5 minutes is better than no minutes too, as long as you warm up, so you don't hurt yourself.

From what I have understood, eating healthy (right amount of calories) goes a long way. Combining that with a couple, or three, walks a week is even better.

And who says you need the gym to work out? I haven't been to the gym in ages, I always work out at home. 5 minutes is better than no minutes too, as long as you warm up, so you don't hurt yourself.

Eating/dieting is 80% of it no doubt.

You honestly don't need the gym unless you really want to. There are even plenty of bodyweight exercises (pushups, pullups) you can do at home.

You can also basically build a home gym for zero cost if you buy the stuff off craigslist so that someone else has already taken the 50% hit off retail. You'll eventually get almost all your money back when you sell it down the line.

I love working out at home. No waiting, I can watch my weekly tv shows, listen to records, no one else's sweat on the equipment, etc.

I can see it not being possible for someone in a small apartment but otherwise, you don't need much space for a power rack, bench, and some barbells.

Up 2-3 lbs from the past two days, I've been eating like a beast since Friday night. Started with sushi buffet Friday night, Saturday morning i had a banana with peanut butter. Came home from coaching hammered down half a tub of edible cookie dough, a huge bowl of shrimp scampi with noodles, grabbed a huge ice cream frazzle (like a Mcflurry), and last night drank 4 guinness and 3 bud light at a st patty party. Then finished the night with a healthy serving of pulled pork, garlic mashed potatoes, and all you can eat peanuts! I'm pretty bloated to say the least hahaha i'd saying probably holding anywhere from 2-3 lbs of extra water. tomorrow I can guarantee i'll be back to 214 or lower. My goal is under 210 by my birthday on March 23rd.