Comics (possible spoilers)

Barnes & Noble has some decent stuff discounted in their "bargain books" section right now. Unfortunately no Omnibus' this time.

http://productsearch.barnesandnoble.com/....N&SZE=10&S AT=1

I got all of these for 36 bucks!

New Avengers, Volume 6: Revolution HC

Big Bratty Book of Bart Simpson TPB

X-Men: Deadly Genesis TPB

Blackburne Covenant TPB

Fantastic Four: The End TPB

Moon Knight, Volume 1: The Bottom TPB

Moon Knight, Volume 2: Midnight Sun TPB

Spider-Man: Reign TPB

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I picked up all the issues at once, I didnt follow it monthly so maybe thats why I'm enjoying it soo much. I dont know how they're gonna pull it off as an ongoing series, it feels like it has elements of a mini series but to have it drag on forever would lose its appeal after a while.Also it does help that I dont have to pay for the series.

The app looks pretty cool from what I saw online. I haven't seen it IRL yet.

$2 an issue is a rip off though. You can buy a real copy for that price.

There is also some controversy concerning creator royalties. Last I read, Marvel is not paying the creators of these books for the digital "reprints".

$2 is fine for me, I don't need anymore clutter.

Barnes & Noble has some decent stuff discounted in their "bargain books" section right now. Unfortunately no Omnibus' this time.

http://productsearch.barnesandnoble.com/....N&SZE=10&S AT=1

I got all of these for 36 bucks!

New Avengers, Volume 6: Revolution HC

Big Bratty Book of Bart Simpson TPB

X-Men: Deadly Genesis TPB

Blackburne Covenant TPB

Fantastic Four: The End TPB

Moon Knight, Volume 1: The Bottom TPB

Moon Knight, Volume 2: Midnight Sun TPB

Spider-Man: Reign TPB

Thank you Kurtz!! I got this :

Get a Life 1 04-09-2010 $5.38

Young X-Men, Volume 1: Final Genesis 1 04-09-2010 $4.48

Ghost Rider, Volume 2: The Life and Death of Johnny Blaze 1 04-09-2010 $0.00

Spider-Man: Reign 1 04-09-2010 $4.48

Nova, Volume 1: Annihilation: Conquest 1 04-09-2010 $4.48

What If? Secret War 1 04-09-2010 $5.38

Uncanny X-Men: The Extremists 1 04-09-2010 $3.58

Forgotten Realms, Volume 6: The Halfling's Gem 1 04-09-2010 $5.38

Ultimate Galactus, Volume 2: Secret 1 04-09-2010 $3.58

Ultimate Galactus, Volume 1: Nightmare 1 04-09-2010 $3.58

Unfortunately I had to pay shipping, but 70$ for 10 TPB is still cheap

Glitch round 2 happening now at Barnes & Noble!

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2010/03/10/is-it-happening-again-this-time-with-barnes-noble/

I ordered the Moore/Davis Captain Britain Omnibus. We'll see how this one pans out.

^Got this in the mail yesterday! I'm pretty surprised/stoked that B&N actually honored that order. That is now the first Omnibus I own.

Antoine, did you get any of the Omnibus' you ordered during the B&N glitch?

No, they cancelled everything, except the Dracula one. I received an email last week saying they haven't receive the Dracula yet, and saying I had 24 hours to 'renew' my order for another 30 days, which I did.

So still waiting!

But I went to Quebec city last week and went to a few used book store, and I bought maybe 30 Franco-Belge Comic book (They are called Bande Dessinées, and are all hardcovers of 48 pages to 62 pages normally), so I have a lot to read right now!

No, they cancelled everything, except the Dracula one. I received an email last week saying they haven't receive the Dracula yet, and saying I had 24 hours to 'renew' my order for another 30 days, which I did.

I got that same message about the Cap Britain Omnibus and then they sent it a few days later. I'm sure you'll get the book sooner or later if you keep the order open.

Alright! Thanks a lot Kurtz!

There isn't really any vinyl news on VC recently, so I just check this thread once in a while to see what you have read or to find about a sale. It a shame you don't speak french, I would have SO MUCH reading suggestion for you. France and Belgium produce a ton of incredible comics.

I'll let you know if some are ever translated. I know XIII (The US President got killed by a man who lost his memory) got at least a few issue translated, but just 5 or 6, and you need the first twelve to fully appreciate the story. Also, I once saw Ordinary Victory by Manu Larcenent in English... Thorgal is also a great "Heroic Fantasy" comic. These are not the best French comics, but they are among the most popular (each new issue sold at least 1 000 000 issue).

http://www.amazon.com/Ordinary-Victories....0945732&sr=8- 2

http://www.amazon.com/XIII-Day-Black-Sun-TPB/dp/0785126538/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1270945750&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Archers-Thorgal-Jean-Van-Hamme/dp/1905460678/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1270945800&sr=1-4

The best is of course to read them in order, but just to see the evolution of Van Hamme and Rosinsky work. But the beggining of the story is not essential to understand the rest. I see that every volume on amazon contain two French Issue. You should start with The Archer (Voume 4) (One of the best story, it's the one that won the most price) and then get The Land of QA (Volume 5) and finally city of the Lost God (Volume 6). These 3 issues (6 in Fench) are a GREAT complete story. I would start there, and then read the rest. If you want a stand alone story, get volume 3 instead (Beyond the Shadow). But seriously, Get the Land of QA arc... (Volume 4-5-6).

Here's a few quick reviews of what I've read recently...

Big Bratty Book of Bart Simpson TPB (#9-12) – It's a Simpsons comic. I got exactly what was expected. Good, clean fun.

The Blackburne Covenant TPB – This was a pretty solid book. Written by Fabian Nicieza, art by Stefano Raffaele (never heard of either of those guys until now). It's about an author who writes a best selling fantasy novel. It turns out that the book was not a work of fiction, but instead a long forgotten/erased history. Shady characters start following him. He starts realizing some supernatural powers, etc, etc. Good story, decent art. My only complaint is that it feels like the story should continue. It feels more like the beginning/origin of an ongoing series rather than a finite mini-series.

Fantastic Four: The End TPB – This was written and drawn by Alan Davis, so you know that at least the artwork is going to be excellent. This book starts with a flashback of Doom killing Franklin and Valeria Richards in a battle with the FF. Then it goes back to the present where the FF have all gone their separate ways. Reed is wrapped up in his work trying to perfect wormhole transportation. Sue is an underwater archeologist. Johnny is a member of the Avengers. And Ben is living on Mars with his wife and children. A lot of shit happens that I'm not going to go into detail with, and the FF have to work together again to save the world. Basically every major villain and character from the last 50 years of FF comics makes an appearance in these six issues. I've never been a huge FF fan, but I've read enough of their comics and read about enough of the comics to know all the characters and villains. So I wasn't lost, but it felt a little forced trying to get all of these characters in the book. I think it detracted from the main plot. Still this ended up being a decent read. I think a bigger FF fan probably would like it more than I did, but overall it wasn't bad.

Moon Knight: The Bottom TPB (#1-6) – This is written by Charlie Huston, art by David Finch. Holy shit was this book awful. This book reminded me of one of those shitty Image or Top Cow books that didn't care how bad the story was and just tried to be edgy, dark and violent. The story line was very confusing. Characters showed up that had no real back story or explanation of who they were supposed to be. One of the characters close to Moon Knight reveals that he is gay, even though every writer who has written him since 1975 has written him as a straight character. The long established character coming out of the closet is a gimmick I wish would soon die in comics. There is excessive amounts of censored expletives in this book. It's very annoying when every few words is another four letter #### that you have to guess what it is. They need to realize that this is a main Marvel universe book, not a Max book, and write accordingly. Finch's art is okay, but that is the only redeeming quality this book has. Everything else is complete garbage.

Moon Knight: Midnight Sun TPB (#7-13, Annual #1) – Everything I said about the first Moon Knight volume continues to ring true in this book. The plot is even more confusing than the first. You get some pointless cameos by Captain America, Spider-Man, Punisher and Iron Man. David Finch drops off this stinker after issue #9. Two artists I never heard of take over the pencils and neither artist is very good. The characters barely even look the same between issues #12 and #13. The only redeeming quality this volume had was the story from Annual #1, by Duane Swierczynski, was decent.

New Avengers: Revolution HC (#26-31) – Can you say filler? Brian Michael Bendis stretches out two issues worth of ideas into 6 issues in this collection. This basically bridges the gap between Civil War and Secret Invasion. Nothing much happens, then Elektra is a Skrull. There wasn't much story, but Alex Maleev's art in issue #26 was very enjoyable. Leinil Yu was the artist for the rest of the issues. His art wasn't bad, but it seems like it might have been rushed. Not his finest work.

Spider-Man: Reign TPB – Written and drawn by Kaare Andrews. This is basically Spider-Man: The Dark Knight Returns. I bought and read this as it came out in '08. I liked it a lot then, and enjoyed it just as much the second time around. Nothing too original about the story, but it is very well executed. Recommended!

Top Ten: Book 1 TPB (#1-7) – Written by Alan Moore, art by Gene Ha. Top Ten is about a city where everyone is some kind of super-powered, costumed character. Top Ten is the police precinct in the city and the book follows their exploits. The book is basically a super-powered cop drama. I was a little overwhelmed at first with the number of characters, but you quickly get to know and care about all of them. This is just a good fun comic book. Nothing to deep or intense like some of Moore's more well known books.

Top Ten: Book 2 TPB (#8-12) – Just as good as Book 1.

Top Ten: The Forty-Niners TPB – This is a prequel to the regular Top Ten books. It's about the earlier days of the city. Completely different characters, and rather than following the Top 10 police precinct, it follows two newcomers to the city (one of which joins Top Ten). Not as good as the regular Top Ten series, but still worth while reading if you liked the first two books.

X-Men: Deadly Genesis TPB – I had heard that Ed Brubakers run on X-Men was underwhelming, so I wasn't sure what to think going into this book, but I ended up really liking it! This takes place after House of M. Professor X is missing and the X-Men are trying to find him. While looking for the Professor the X-Men encounter a new threat from a forgotten past. I can see how some diehard X-Men fans might not like this because Brubaker does a substantial amount of revisionist X-Men history to tell his story. That did not bother me at all though. This was a great read! It makes me want to check out the rest of Brubaker's X-Men run.