How do you open an LP...

It's a bad idea to keep an LP in the shrink wrap. I've seen them stick and tear the sleeve. It's better to just peel the sticker and paste it on a vinyl sleeve, or just cut it out with a pair of scissors.

Yep, and shrink wrap can also continue to shrink over time, which will eventually warp/bend the jacket.

i'm new to vinyl, but i thought you were supposed to keep the shrink wrap on?

ronnie already touched on this, but I reiterate his point,

shrink wrap does just that, shrink. and it doesn't stop shrinking just because you open a slit. over time the corners of jackets can get ruined because of the tightening of shrink wrap. no, it won't ruin them over night if you leave it on, but over time it can screw up your jackets. its always your best bet to take off all the shrink wrap and just put it in a LP protector sleeve.

my mom did this with a bunch of her old LPs from the 70s and 80s and the jacket corners literally gave out and folded because of shrink wrap.

A really simple way of opening the shrink wrap is to rub the end that opens on your pant leg really quickly. Just rub back and forth 2 or 3 times and you should create an opening that you can then open up more with your fingers. Hopefully that makes sense. I've done this dozens of times and have never had an issue.

Rub the side of the record against ur jeans and it'll rip part if the sleeve off and just finish the job with a finger nail or slowly spread the shrink wrap apart.... learned this from sage francis

But I always take the shrink wrap off

THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I SAID YOU COPYCATTING MOTHERFUCKER!!!!!!!!!!1 :-*