iPhone 3G

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, they're cool, and I've been tempted in the past, but I gotta remember its just some bullshit accessory. I'm trying to get out of buying into all this consumerist bullshit. I buy my music and my beer, most everything else I buy from now on will be a need, not a want.

This doesn't really make sense to me. Chances are you're probably gonna carry a cell phone around anyways, why not get something that's actually nice and not the cheap free phone?

I hate it when people get the free phones and wonder why they suck.

i'm going to wait it out for a few days. went to 2 different att stores today at 9 am, and they were already out. they are supposed to be getting new "stock" everyday. didn't know that that meant only getting 10 new phones in stock a day. then walked across the street to the apple store to see a line of about 100 waiting for me.

i'll wait a few days till the hype wears down a little. it is bullshit that you can't buy it online though.

Yeah, they're cool, and I've been tempted in the past, but I gotta remember its just some bullshit accessory. I'm trying to get out of buying into all this consumerist bullshit. I buy my music and my beer, most everything else I buy from now on will be a need, not a want.

This doesn't really make sense to me. Chances are you're probably gonna carry a cell phone around anyways, why not get something that's actually nice and not the cheap free phone?

I hate it when people get the free phones and wonder why they suck.

Cell phones... good to carry around for emergencies and keeping in touch with friends and killing time in class.

$300 cell phones that browse the internet and look cool and have expensive monthly plans... a waste of money.

My main point is, how many people who spent $600 last year are already upgrading?

I actually have a Motorola Q and I can get on the net and all that jazz. It was cool at first, now it's just whatever. As long as I can make a call and receive a text every now and then I'm fine with it. I can do without all the useless crap.

buy a 120 gig ipod and a cellphone. You're spending just as much.

Not even true (160 GB iPod=$350, iPhone=$200, and a data plan costs just as much for any other phone) and not a fair comparison. If you want internet on your phone, media player functionality and a good user interface, the iPhone is a fair deal.

I'm so torn on this. My girlfriend said she would buy me one of these for my b-day and get me all set up. I keep going back and fourth. I want one but don't need it. I'm not going to say the service is too much at $70 a month but i know that It's a lot to me. And I'm kind of an apple phob. I have a pc and I'm not interested in having format complication. I don't even think you can use this as an mass storage device.

Is Microsoft ever coming out with something similar. What's this android thing? I'm going to go find out. I've waited this long to get a cell phone another year won't matter.

I've owned a number of 'smartphones' (Blackberry, Nokia, etc, and my mother has the Moto Q) and the iphone is definitely the most user-friendly, least-buggy, most functional phone I've ever owned. The others are unreliable pieces of crap compared to it. I'll probably upgrade to the 3G model in a few months when I can actually buy one - they've just been released for the first time in Aus so they'll be impossible to get for a while.

Question for anyone with an old, unlocked iphone - I can't update the firmware to 2.0 until there's a hacked/hackable/unlocked version, correct?

how can you use it with tmobile?

i can not only use it for tmobile, but my plan will only cost $5 more with unlimited internet.

EDGE isn't even worth the $5 a month. Maybe I'm being a data snob - I've been using 3G/EVDO/Wifi for the past 2 years on all my phones.

In regards to other phones, I've used Palm OS and a Windows Mobile phones each for a year. Windows Mobile is the biggest piece of SHIT ever. No matter how new the phone is it runs like shit. It's laggy and the phone features suck. Palm OS is pretty stable but there's nothing special about it.

RIM... well, I've never used a Blackberry but alot of my friends swear by them so I'm guessing they're really good.

Is Android a phone or an operating system for phones?

Android, aka the GooglePhone, will be an operating system, not a phone.

What is Android?

http://code.google.com/android/what-is-android.html

Android is a software stack for mobile devices that includes an operating system, middleware and key applications. This early look at the Android SDK provides the tools and APIs necessary to begin developing applications on the Android platform using the Java programming language.

I've owned a number of 'smartphones' (Blackberry, Nokia, etc, and my mother has the Moto Q) and the iphone is definitely the most user-friendly, least-buggy, most functional phone I've ever owned. The others are unreliable pieces of crap compared to it. I'll probably upgrade to the 3G model in a few months when I can actually buy one - they've just been released for the first time in Aus so they'll be impossible to get for a while.

Question for anyone with an old, unlocked iphone - I can't update the firmware to 2.0 until there's a hacked/hackable/unlocked version, correct?

I wouldn't...unless you want a bricked phone that is only good as a paper weight...