People who pluralize the word vinyl

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my brother in law ONLY says aks. many kids i used to go to school with said it. lazy white folk...

yeah that does sound annoying.

you know, i'm a pretty easy going guy usually, and it wouldn't bother me if it were on the odd occasion, but it just grates on me every time aks comes out of his gob. LOL!

my wife's a teacher so i'm constantly getting corrected for my grammatical errors. probably the reason we don't talk much...

:D

I hate when I am talking to someone and they use phrases like, "I don't mean to be a jerk, but..."

It tells me things about their personality that I hate. As far as I'm concerned, the only way to end a sentence that starts like that would be something like this : "...my parents didn't hug me enough, and I am a tactless asshole."

That, and unnecessary phrases. The term "as a matter of fact" is really overused. There's another really big one that escapes me right now because I am cooking dinner oh shit my water's boiling!

yeah, "vinyl" bothers me too.

but what about people that say "I'm going to get a coffee" instead of saying "I'm going to get a cup of coffee" -- I think the second is correct, but I've been met with some stiff opposition. Wouldn't that be the same as "I'm going to go buy a vinyl" ??

???

but what about people that say "I'm going to get a coffee" instead of saying "I'm going to get a cup of coffee" -- I think the second is correct, but I've been met with some stiff opposition. Wouldn't that be the same as "I'm going to go buy a vinyl" ??

???

Haha, that reminds me of when my girlfriend used to work at Starbucks and would cringe when she would hear the phrase, "Oh, i'm just getting a Starbucks."

???

"I'm gonna grab a beer."

"I'm gonna get a soda."

Since both of those are correct, I don't see a reason why you can't say "I'm going to get a coffee." Although it does sound a bit weird.

that's just one of those things though, where a brand takes over the actual item's name. like how people call tissues Kleenex's all the time.

Not exactly. Starbucks is not synonymous with coffee, as that is their major product, but coffee is not synonymous with Starbucks. You don't say, "Hey, I want a Starbucks" and then brew yourself Yuban in your house.

Its just trendy people being stupid.

I hate when people mess up you're/your and they're/there/their.

My house mate is terrible for this, and he is studying towards becoming a journalist. Surely basic grammar skills would be a prerequisite for a degree like that? Also, he likes to end all typed scentences like this... For example:

'Hello mate, you alright?'

'Yeah...'

'Yeah what?

'Yeah I'm good...'

Hahaha, also, if he tells me 'what I done today' one more time I may have to start setting him English homework.

My house mate is terrible for this, and he is studying towards becoming a journalist. Surely basic grammar skills would be a prerequisite for a degree like that? Also, he likes to end all typed scentences like this... For example:

'Hello mate, you alright?'

'Yeah...'

'Yeah what?

'Yeah I'm good...'

Hahaha, also, if he tells me 'what I done today' one more time I may have to start setting him English homework.

the other reporters and anchors i work with are terrible. they don't double-check their stories for grammar and spelling mistakes and one of them actually does the "..." on every sentence as well. it's horrendous.