People who pluralize the word vinyl

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I stand corrected:

Usage Note: Irregardless is a word that many mistakenly believe to be correct usage in formal style, when in fact it is used chiefly in nonstandard speech or casual writing. Coined in the United States in the early 20th century, it has met with a blizzard of condemnation for being an improper yoking of irrespective and regardless and for the logical absurdity of combining the negative ir- prefix and -less suffix in a single term. Although one might reasonably argue that it is no different from words with redundant affixes like debone and unravel, it has been considered a blunder for decades and will probably continue to be so.

I have to add my own pet peeve to this: people who say "vinyl" is the plural of "vinyl".

Vinyl doesn't have a plural. It's a non-count noun so it takes a partitive noun like "pieces of vinyl" that can be made plural. Just like "water" is not the plural of "water" and "air" is not the plural of "air".

I have a million grammar pet peeves. I'm a grammar and writing teacher...

I hate when people mess up you're/your and they're/there/their.

Word. Using incorrect homonyms really chaps my ass, especially when they're used in an e-mail sent to you by a girl who is trying to tell you thanks but no thanks for offer to go out for coffee. As in, she said "Your real nice but..." I'd like to think I dodged a bullet with that one.

ahhh, now i know why someone had highlighted my use of the word vinyl in one of the threads i had previously responded to. would never have thought using vinyl would cause so much pain and torment.

i will never refer to multiple vinyl as vinyl again because using the word vinyl seems to piss so many people that are into vinyl right off.... ;-)

i'd like to add that the phrase 'in terms of' really fucking pisses me off. go ahead, just count how many times this ridiculous phrase is used in your average day. i even heard one reporter say something like 'how much money was he earning, in terms of his annual salary?'. want to kill, maim and slaughter.

"Supposably, I should of boughten a lot of vinyl from Vinyl Collective. Instead, I ate some shrimps for dinner then went to Barnes And Nobles, their I gained new appreesh for Starbucks coffee, even though there prices are a bit steep. Irregardless, when I was in the car, I got to here the new Bruce Springsteen single. When I got home, I logged back on to Vinyl Collective to see if the new Boss album was available, but it appeared their weren't eny left on hear. I guess I'll have to find the vinyl some wear else."

That contains a lot of things that annoy me. But for fuck's sake, it's a god damn message board. People type fast. Who gives a fuck if they use correct grammar, spelling, etc...? I'm an editor and I don't care at all.

my freshman year english teacher beat into our brains that it is spelled "grammar" and not "grammer."

either way, i notice it when people say "vinyl" and not vinyl, but it doesn't piss me off. i'll correct them if we're having a conversation about them, but i don't get all worked up over it. i think most of us have said "vinyl" at one point or another, and had someone correct us. then we crawl back into our little hole, remember that it's "vinyl" and not "vinyl," and then give someone else shit for saying "vinyl." plus, you can't really blame someone for not knowing. it's not everyday that people talk about vinyl anymore. now it's all cds and mp3s, digital downloads, whatever.

in conclusion, blame our english teachers. not the people who say it.

No, people actually pronounce it like that while speaking. Its typically used by urban youth or stupid white hipsters who think they're being ironic.

that's really odd. I've never heard anyone say that.

my brother in law ONLY says aks. many kids i used to go to school with said it. lazy white folk...