MLB Discussion

wasnt he the one who had that shit on his hand???

Yes, the other week against the Sox.  Then he does it again tonight, against the Sox again.  They were showing that he did not have it on his neck in the first inning and the Sox got to him for 2 runs.  Then he comes out for the second inning and all of the sudden he's reaching to his neck.  Stupid move on his part.

I know a lot of pitchers use forgein substances to help with the grip (especially in colder games), but it's just a stupid move to use it so blatantly after questions were asked just a week ago.

its cheating, its why he got ejected, you know it was to get grip on the ball without even having to see a picture of whatever it was on his neck

Now before I say this, I know the response is "what about steroids?" Well, I think there is about 100 miles of space between a pitcher using pine tar and steroids. Hell, there's a huge gap between pine tar and using spit.

But it's debateable whether or not it's cheating when everyone does it. Why do you think Boston didn't say anything about it last time? They didn't want eyes on their guys either. Hell, I know Clay Bucholz douses himself with sun tan lotion.

Last time- I get it. Don't want to be the hypocrites calling out a pitcher for using a substance In April when it happened to you a year ago.

But to be this brazen on trying it again? GTFO.

i'm inclined to think blackmon is a fluke but i remember that i added him in september last year because he was so hot then.

i don't think the power is real. at least not this much. maybe a 15-HR guy. the steals look nice though. i think they craziest part of everything though is: 80 PA, 5 K, 5 BB. i know andrelton had some crazy no-strikeout streak but 6% has to be one of the best strikeout rates in the game. batted ball profile looks like martin prado's or nori aoki's. he's gonna probably be streaky because he puts the ball in play so much but i think he's legit.

colabello practically had his bags packed for korea. batting average has to come down -- he strikes out way too much. and 3.3 AB/RBI is absurd. crush and miggy are around 5.5 AB/HR for a full season, so that's gotta slow down big time, one would think... but shit who knows

i'm inclined to think blackmon is a fluke but i remember that i added him in september last year because he was so hot then.

i don't think the power is real. at least not this much. maybe a 15-HR guy. the steals look nice though. i think they craziest part of everything though is: 80 PA, 5 K, 5 BB. i know andrelton had some crazy no-strikeout streak but 6% has to be one of the best strikeout rates in the game. batted ball profile looks like martin prado's or nori aoki's. he's gonna probably be streaky because he puts the ball in play so much but i think he's legit.

colabello practically had his bags packed for korea. batting average has to come down -- he strikes out way too much. and 3.3 AB/RBI is absurd. crush and miggy are around 5.5 AB/HR for a full season, so that's gotta slow down big time, one would think... but shit who knows

What you described about Blackmon is literally the same scouting report about Simmons. Except Simmons has a higher power upside and a lower steal potential

Simmons is also primarily hitting in the 8 hole which makes his ridiculously low strikeouts/walks (78 AB, 2 BB, 3K) total even crazier.

The Angels have got to have the worst pen in all of baseball, if there is a team with a worse pen I feel really sorry for them.

Smith is good and Kohn is decent, every single other pitcher in their pen is terrible. 

They have to do something about it or they have absolutely no shot at making a playoff run.

My first reaction to Pineda is #LOLPineda.

Though think about this. The point of the rosen bag behind the mound is to help the pitcher get a better grip. When you're sweating on a 140 degree day, rosen bag would probably help. Night like tonight in Boston, probably not so much. So I also noticed players basically saying its not a big deal as long as it's discreet. I mean think of it this way, if Pineda has a better grip and is able to throw Ortiz a meatball down the middle and he hits it 5,000 feet, Ortiz probably would think about sending Pineda a jug of pine tar to keep the gravy train rolling AMIRITE? I mean that shit comes by the gallon I'm sure...

So if other players says yeah pitcher X and Y use it so what(?) then I don't understand the inconsistency of this. They eventually regulated how pine tar could be used on a bat, so why not better regulate what pitchers could use on a baseball. The problem here is Pineda is an idiot and didn't consult with the Yankees broadcast booth who had better ideas on how to be discreet with pine tar. It doesn't help Pineda throw a ball any faster, and gives him less of an excuse to be wild with his pitches and potentially hitting batter (Mike Napoli would agree.) If its purely an issue of grip and control (and more strikes which hitters are supposed to hit) then I'm missing the issue. I don't the spitballs in the purest sense would help people grip the ball better.

Long story short, why are players OK with pine tar and other stuff being used when the Commisioner's Office finds it illegal. Weird. 

TL:DR Pineda idiot. Thats not sweat. Discretion discretion discretion. Gray line and definitely illegal but not exactly cheating. 

My first reaction to Pineda is #LOLPineda.

Though think about this. The point of the rosen bag behind the mound is to help the pitcher get a better grip. When you're sweating on a 140 degree day, rosen bag would probably help. Night like tonight in Boston, probably not so much. So I also noticed players basically saying its not a big deal as long as it's discreet. I mean think of it this way, if Pineda has a better grip and is able to throw Ortiz a meatball down the middle and he hits it 5,000 feet, Ortiz probably would think about sending Pineda a jug of pine tar to keep the gravy train rolling AMIRITE? I mean that shit comes by the gallon I'm sure...

So if other players says yeah pitcher X and Y use it so what(?) then I don't understand the inconsistency of this. They eventually regulated how pine tar could be used on a bat, so why not better regulate what pitchers could use on a baseball. The problem here is Pineda is an idiot and didn't consult with the Yankees broadcast booth who had better ideas on how to be discreet with pine tar. It doesn't help Pineda throw a ball any faster, and gives him less of an excuse to be wild with his pitches and potentially hitting batter (Mike Napoli would agree.) If its purely an issue of grip and control (and more strikes which hitters are supposed to hit) then I'm missing the issue. I don't the spitballs in the purest sense would help people grip the ball better.

Long story short, why are players OK with pine tar and other stuff being used when the Commisioner's Office finds it illegal. Weird. 

TL:DR Pineda idiot. Thats not sweat. Discretion discretion discretion. Gray line and definitely illegal but not exactly cheating. 

My sweat comment was sarcastic

General consensus is people are okay with it, just dont make it so obvious that you need to be called on it. Hell, the ump gave the weakest ejection I have ever seen.

As a sidenote, for how strict the Yankees are about hair, facial hair and the uniform you would think they would tell Pineda to straighten his hat out.

My sweat comment was sarcastic

I know. I'm not even mad haha.

As a sidenote, for how strict the Yankees are about hair, facial hair and the uniform you would think they would tell Pineda to straighten his hat out.

George is dead. The whole facial hair and long hair ban bullshit is a relic of his era. I wish they'd give it up.

If its purely an issue of grip and control (and more strikes which hitters are supposed to hit) then I'm missing the issue.

isn't this entirely what the pine tar is for? better grip, better snap, more wicked off-speed pitches? i don't think any pitchers would use it for the fastball (although i could be wrong). it's about getting a better grip on the ball and induce more spin out of the hand for sharper break.

this is why i'm curious to see if pineda's slider has actually improved, which is what scouts are saying, or if he is simply the beneficiary of pine tar use this whole time.