MLB Discussion

Well holy fucking shit it is. It's quite awesome. I ran outside and lit fireworks. Any occasion where I get to light shit on fire is a good one. City's gonna be in a fucking great mood, tips are gonna be better and Philly proves it's good at something. Right on Phillies. I live in a heavily traffic area. It's chaos. Won't be getting any sleep tonight.

Sabathia is awesome. However, he will likely be overpaid because that's the way it works. When you're paying a guy $20-25MM per year to pitch 35 games, even GOOD seasons seem like a huge bust. It's the nature of free agent pitchers (and really position players too) these days. I can't imagine ANY long-term deal for a lot of money per year being actually worthwhile at the end. That's why teams tend to back-load them and hopefully trade the player after a few seasons to somebody who is desperate and/or stupid.

So when you do something dumb like pay Alfonso Soriano $17MM per year for 8 years, even though you've completely backloaded the deal, you KNOW you're going to be eating that deal in a few years. So really, you might as well assume he costs you more like $20MM for the first 5 years, then $12MM for the next 3, despite the money situation actually being vice versa. So it averages out to $17MM, but there's no way you're getting that kind of value out of him for more than a couple of those seasons.

Uhh, the Dodgers method has been used approximately three times, on Jason Schmidt, Rafael Furcal, and Andruw Jones. Furcal spent a good chunk of that time hurt, Jason Schmidt has spent nearly all of it hurt thus far, and Andruw Jones spent an entire year being terrible.

While I think it is probably a better method, it hasn't exactly panned out for them.

dodgers doing exactly what I thought they would. Offered Manny 2 years/$45. More money and less years.

I think they can't shoot them in the foot with some long drawn out deal with Manny. I think it was more like 2 years 50 or 3 year 75. I'm fine with 2 years + a player's option + a team option.

If Manny was being honest when he said he didn't want to deal with the big spotlight than he won't go to New York and this kind of money he won't find anywhere else. I don't think the Mets are interested.

manny wants 4 years @ $100 million, or at least that what scott boras wants. but the offer the dogers made to him is far more than he'll get anywhere else and it will make him the second highest paid player behind a-rod. after a 4 year contract manny will be 40, so i see why boras is trying to get him a 4 year contract, but its not gonna happen.

manny wants 4 years @ $100 million, or at least that what scott boras wants. but the offer the dogers made to him is far more than he'll get anywhere else and it will make him the second highest paid player behind a-rod. after a 4 year contract manny will be 40, so i see why boras is trying to get him a 4 year contract, but its not gonna happen.

I heard Boras was even talking about a six year deal to get Manny to his 42nd birthday. With the rep he's got after whatever happened in Boston I don't think too many teams are going to pitch him 4 or more years.