MLB Discussion

Pitchers should not get the MVP. Thats what the Cy Young is for.

Verlander is obviously hands down the Cy Young winner and if they win the WS and he dominates a few games then yea, WS MVP as well but no way should he win the season MVP.

MVP = most valuable player. If he's the most valuable, then give him the award.

Verlander is obviously hands down the Cy Young winner and if they win the WS and he dominates a few games then yea, WS MVP as well but no way should he win the season MVP.

MVP = most valuable player. If he's the most valuable, then give him the award.

The cy young is for the best pitcher, mvp is for most valuable player, nothing states it cant be for a pitcher at all. Its even more impressive when they do win it as they really had to stand out. Besides who is a better candidate? Without Verlander the Tigers wouldnt even make the playoffs, let alone win their division. One could argue that Bautista could take it, as the jays wouldnt be close to a .500 team without him.

The cy young is for the best pitcher, mvp is for most valuable player, nothing states it cant be for a pitcher at all. Its even more impressive when they do win it as they really had to stand out. Besides who is a better candidate? Without Verlander the Tigers wouldnt even make the playoffs, let alone win their division. One could argue that Bautista could take it, as the jays wouldnt be close to a .500 team without him.

I knew the Tigers fans on here would have a problem with that haha. I understand the difference between MVP and Cy Young. I dont think pitchers should be disqualified from winning the MVP but they should have to be far and away the best player in their league to win it since they only play once every 5 games. I dont think Verlander is far and away the best overall player in the AL.

I knew the Tigers fans on here would have a problem with that haha. I understand the difference between MVP and Cy Young. I dont think pitchers should be disqualified from winning the MVP but they should have to be far and away the best player in their league to win it since they only play once every 5 games. I dont think Verlander is far and away the best overall player in the AL.

Travis, Im not even close to a Tigers fan, I honestly couldnt care less about them either way, but Verlander has been the best overall player in the AL this year. Im interested to hear who you think is the mvp. Anyone on the yanks and sox you could take off and they would still do as good as they did, no one stood out on the rays, texas, or angels, and those are all the teams that were .500 or better (including my bautista reference in the last post). The teams under .500 didnt have anyone that blew everyone else away. It should be a 2 man race between those two.

Travis, Im not even close to a Tigers fan, I honestly couldnt care less about them either way, but Verlander has been the best overall player in the AL this year. Im interested to hear who you think is the mvp. Anyone on the yanks and sox you could take off and they would still do as good as they did, no one stood out on the rays, texas, or angels, and those are all the teams that were .500 or better (including my bautista reference in the last post). The teams under .500 didnt have anyone that blew everyone else away. It should be a 2 man race between those two.

Id say Bautista. Granderson and Ellsbury were in it for a while but fell off.

Those dudes play every day, a pitcher goes once every 5 games. Verlander played in 34 games. Bautista played in 149 games. If it comes down to 2 guys you gotta give it to the position player.

Not saying Im right, just my opinion. I have a hard time thinking a pitcher is the best overall player in the league.

Id say Bautista. Granderson and Ellsbury were in it for a while but fell off.

Those dudes play every day, a pitcher goes once every 5 games. Verlander played in 34 games. Bautista played in 149 games. If it comes down to 2 guys you gotta give it to the position player.

Not saying Im right, just my opinion. I have a hard time thinking a pitcher is the best overall player in the league.

Its so subjective for the MVP. You could go so many ways to choose an MVP. I think it's Verlander just because he was so dominant and carried his team through much of the season. Jose Bautista was great but his team was in 4th place and he really fell off near the end of the season. Jacoby Ellsbury had a great season but he was in a stacked lineup on a team that finished in third. Granderson? Again, stacked lineup. At least his team won the division. I think if it HAD to go to a position player, then Granderson is probably the choice.

Its so subjective for the MVP. You could go so many ways to choose an MVP. I think it's Verlander just because he was so dominant and carried his team through much of the season. Jose Bautista was great but his team was in 4th place and he really fell off near the end of the season. Jacoby Ellsbury had a great season but he was in a stacked lineup on a team that finished in third. Granderson? Again, stacked lineup. At least his team won the division. I think if it HAD to go to a position player, then Granderson is probably the choice.

Also, look at it this way. Verlander faced 985 batters this season, which is 300 more ABs than any player had for the entire season.

Thats a good point. He still gets to rest for 4 games between every one that he plays tho.

The MVP is kinda weird. Is it the best overall player or is it the most valuable player? If you're team is below .500 its hard to say anyone was extremely valuable but in the case of Bautista he put up the best numbers in the AL, his team just sucks. So should be penalized cause he plays on a team in the same division as the Yanks, Red Sox and Rays? Its hard to say...Granderson didnt have as good of numbers as Bautista but close and his team was the best in the AL so maybe he's the most valuable player? He also hits in a stacked lineup and will likely see a lot of pitches to hit where Bautista gets pitched around more often which makes Bautistas numbers even more impressive. Maybe Verlander is the overall best player but he only had an effect on 34 games this year. Granderson and Bautista obviously had an effect on way more than 34 games each this year.

Also, look at it this way. Verlander faced 985 batters this season, which is 300 more ABs than any player had for the entire season.

Thats a good point. He still gets to rest for 4 games between every one that he plays tho.

The MVP is kinda weird. Is it the best overall player or is it the most valuable player? If you're team is below .500 its hard to say anyone was extremely valuable but in the case of Bautista he put up the best numbers in the AL, his team just sucks. So should be penalized cause he plays on a team in the same division as the Yanks, Red Sox and Rays? Its hard to say...Granderson didnt have as good of numbers as Bautista but close and his team was the best in the AL so maybe he's the most valuable player? He also hits in a stacked lineup and will likely see a lot of pitches to hit where Bautista gets pitched around more often which makes Bautistas numbers even more impressive. Maybe Verlander is the overall best player but he only had an effect on 34 games this year. Granderson and Bautista obviously had an effect on way more than 34 games each this year.

Well unfortunately for you Yankees are gonna win tomorrow.

mm hm.

I had a lot of problems with the game, mostly A-Rod and the team not being able to even get a god damn fly ball with the bases loaded. It sucked that Posada was getting all these hits, but the 4-5-6 guys in front of him were as cold as ice so his hits had nothing to show for it.

Well unfortunately for you Yankees are gonna win tomorrow.

mm hm.

I had a lot of problems with the game, mostly A-Rod and the team not being able to even get a god damn fly ball with the bases loaded. It sucked that Posada was getting all these hits, but the 4-5-6 guys in front of him were as cold as ice so his hits had nothing to show for it.

I look at it as the most valuable not the best player. Bautista was incredibly valuable to his team, without him the jays are dead last in the division, not at a respectable .500 in the only division that had 4 .500 teams.

Yes Verlander sat 4 times between games, but look at his value to his team. Replace him with a waiver wire pitcher and the Tigers dont even come close to the playoffs. He contributed so many wins to his team that other pitchers and players didnt do. Take Ellsbury and Granderson out of their lineups and replace them with waiver wire available players and their teams would still be 90 win teams without a problem.

Also look at the fact that Brady Anderson was 9th in mvp vote in 1996 and had a better season than Granderson and Ellsbury, and Baustita was better. Verlander had an amazing year as a pitcher that hasnt been done since Pedro in 99.

I look at it as the most valuable not the best player. Bautista was incredibly valuable to his team, without him the jays are dead last in the division, not at a respectable .500 in the only division that had 4 .500 teams.

Yes Verlander sat 4 times between games, but look at his value to his team. Replace him with a waiver wire pitcher and the Tigers dont even come close to the playoffs. He contributed so many wins to his team that other pitchers and players didnt do. Take Ellsbury and Granderson out of their lineups and replace them with waiver wire available players and their teams would still be 90 win teams without a problem.

Also look at the fact that Brady Anderson was 9th in mvp vote in 1996 and had a better season than Granderson and Ellsbury, and Baustita was better. Verlander had an amazing year as a pitcher that hasnt been done since Pedro in 99.

Its going to be a great night for baseball. I'm obviously hoping the brewers can finally pull this off at home. I'm not sure I'd want to be at Miller Park tonight or not a lot is on the line. I'm rooting for the Cardinals to win only because if the Brewers advance they have a better chance of getting to the World Series if they play the Cardinals.

if both brewers and cardinals win it'll be a rematch of the 1982 world series, and hopefully that ends better for the brewers!!

LETS GO BREWERS!!!!!! Longest day ever.