MLB Discussion

Jeez the Sox are cutting it close here. If they can't rally against the Orioles, they don't deserve to play in October. They pretty much don't already anyway.

Papelbon had a great showing last night tho... 7 batters, 7 outs, for his longest (in terms of innings) appearance in years. Granted it was a bunch of kids and scrubs, but still.

Obviously I want the Yankees to do well, but I kind of also want Tampa to take 2 out of 3 from the Yankees and have the Red Sox take at least 2 losses to the Orioles. This would leave Tampa and the Sox with the same record and their record against each other this season is 9-9, but Tampa would have the better record against AL teams which would send them into the playoffs as the wild card.

I'd almost rather play the Red Sox over the Rays just because of how bad the Sox are doing, but I have a feeling that once playoff mode kicks in, the Sox will be a completely different team.

As long as the Rangers don't have to play the Tigers, I'll feel good. The Tigers always have the Rangers number. Side note: Rangers have to finish at least 1 game ahead of the Tigers to get home field because the Tigers won the season series.

Angels are out...sorry Trav.

haha They have been out for a while. They have been fucking terrible for the last couple weeks. At least they made it a race for a while.

Just beat the Yanks and/or Red Sox and I'll be happy. Especially the Yanks!

Hopefully the Angels can land a decent third baseman, a starter and some bull pen help in the offseason. If they can do that, they should win the West next year. I dont have much confidence in Reagins actually going out and filling those needs though.

lol at every redsox fan having to route for the yanks this week.. and bigger lol at girardi flipping them off by playing half a team :)

I know. Yanks played into extras agains the Sox then turned around and are resting players vs The Rays. The problem here is that I'm conflicted. I know the Rays area better team than the Sox right now so it's better for them to miss the post season BUT seeing Boston fully slide will give me a tiny bit of fodder to counter the 2004 collapse (I admit nothing ca be worse than that).

Anyway, the only thing more entertaining than Breaking Bad on TV is the freak show that is the Sox collapse - must see TV.

lol at every redsox fan having to route for the yanks this week.. and bigger lol at girardi flipping them off by playing half a team :)

I know. Yanks played into extras agains the Sox then turned around and are resting players vs The Rays. The problem here is that I'm conflicted. I know the Rays area better team than the Sox right now so it's better for them to miss the post season BUT seeing Boston fully slide will give me a tiny bit of fodder to counter the 2004 collapse (I admit nothing ca be worse than that).

Anyway, the only thing more entertaining than Breaking Bad on TV is the freak show that is the Sox collapse - must see TV.

girardi went far from full strength in the second 2 games of the sox series

Tonight is a real treat for MLB fans. I can barely wait.

Yeah this is getting intense! In all honesty I hope the Cardinals get the Wildcard if only to make it so the Brewers have no chance of playing the Phillys in the NLDS. AL I'm not sure who I want I'll throw my hat in for the Red Sox. It'll be crazy if both AL and NL have to go into a tiebreaker for the wildcard.

I see that Reyes sat after getting a hit today - I can't stand that. Play the game to win for the team not an individual award. I remember in 1986 when the Yankees played Boston in the final four games of the season. Mattingly and Boggs were going for the title, it was a perfectly scripted end to the season. The show down never happened since Boggs strained his hamstring. Some question whether he had to sit all four games or if the Sox were being overly cautious since they were heading to the Post Season and we all know what happened that year. As a kid I remember sitting on the couch during that final game knowing Mattingly had to go 6 for 6 to catch him. He only went 2 for 5 and was then outvoted for the MVP due to Clemens. My hatred of Boston started that year and I was so happy when Buckner botched that grounder, it felt like a taste of revenge for Donny Baseball.

What's this have to do with Reyes? I hope he loses the batting title for taking to the pine instead of playing the damn game. Call me a purist but he lacks the excuse Boggs had, Jose has a long vacation starting tomorrow.