MLB Discussion

i know i've brought this up before, and i hate feeling like i'm spamming, but i work at Big Time Bats (www.bigtimebats.com) selling autographed sports memorabilia. we have a bunch of autographed stuff right now for the Cardinals. autographed baseballs from Pujols, Freese, Berkman, Holliday, La Russa. team-signed balls, bats, jerseys, helmets. anything you can think of.

we also have stuff from basically any team in the majors. TONS of stuff for the yankees, especially Derek Jeter 3,000th hit commemorative stuff, and Mariano Rivera 602nd save commemorative stuff. but we've got things from players past and present from almost all teams. autographed pieces, game-used pieces, you name it.

our two biggest sports are baseball and football (the other side of our company is called Big Time Footballs), and carry tons of stuff each Super Bowl. for instance, last february, we had a commemorative football so limited that even the Packers couldn't sell it commemorating their own super bowl victory. we still have some stuff left over from them, and have really amazing sales going on right now from last year's SF Giants world series team.

if you collect, or are looking for a gift for the holidays for somebody who does, get in touch with me either with a PM here, or you can e-mail me at [email protected]. i know i directed you to the website, but don't buy anything off there before talking to me. there's a good chance i can cut you at least a small deal (like give you a few bucks off shipping, or tell you about an unadvertised sale) compared to the website's prices. i just gave the link to prove it's not a scam, and show our A+ rating by the BBB. anyway, get in touch if you'd like!

Robertson was great and has a couple good years under his very young belt. The issue with relievers is that we've seen a lot of guys put up great numbers for a couple years, it is longevity that can justify large contracts that is quite scarce. To be fair, Papelbon has been one of the most consistent closers over the past few years so they could have invested in a worse option. It is simply stupid money to invest in a closer that is showing cracks in his game.

As a Phillies fan I hate this signing. Ive watched Papelbon his entire career since we get every sox game up here in Maine. I saw him pitch in the minors as well. While he is coming off his "best" year yet, he has a knack for blowing the big game. As far as the money goes, Id rather give it to Madson but its all a wash anyways cause its the same ammount that Lidge made every year. Now that Lidge is off the books they can afford it. Lidge however deserved it for his perfect season in 08. That made the last years of his contract more than worth it. Papelbon will not be lucky enough to go 48 for 48 and win a WS to negate the contract though.

Thats lame, pitchers already have their own award.

Agreed. What was even lamer was that Buster Onley was rambling on ESPN about WAR (Wins Above Replacement) Metric and how that helped Verlander win the MVP but then in the same breath say well Matt Kemp wasn't on a contender and that why he won't win MVP. Bull. Supposed to be the best (position) player. Kemp was easily better than anyone else.

if the dodgers can finish 3rd and miss the playoffs in one of the worst divisions in baseball WITH matt kemp, don't you think they could miss the playoffs without him, too? where is his value to the team?

Old school thinking my friend. Its not Most Valuable Player for only his team....its supposed to be the valuable player overall...meaning for any team. Kershaw is on Dodgers too and he won the Cy Young even though the team was terrible (sans Kemp) and shouldn't have been penalized because the rest of his team sucked. Same should go for Kemp. Metrically speaking...I believe he was in the top 3 in WAR and had an OPS of .986 (second to Braun) and didn't have the lineup protection of Prince Fielder like Braun so I give him the edge. Its not in MVP criteria that your team has to be good.

Not bashing anyone or trying to change minds but just giving my 2 cents. Hope its valuable ;)

im just happy to see ellsbury finishing next in line behind verlander. in most cases, i find it silly to consider a pitcher for the mvp; but towards the end of the season it seemed like every other day that espn headlines read "verlander wins again".