MLB Discussion

Lavarnaway isn't a guy who you alter your plans for. That is not at all what I am calling for, he does remind me of Lars Anderson in some ways which means he's got a heck of a lot to prove. With that said though, the Red Sox are probably not going to be going into the season being World Series or bust, this is a year for them to try an accelerated rebuild. Napoli want's to be a catcher so if you sign him it would probably be as an, at least 50% playing time catcher. David Ross was just signed and is the ideal backup catcher. Salty probably is at peak value, so IMO trading him makes the most sense with the potential glut of catchers.

So yes I guess I am saying that Salty gets pushed out for Lavarnaway. It also saves the Red Sox a million or two.

Lavanaway did have an unspectacular season, but prior to that he put up crazy good numbers in the minors.

2011 .376 OBP with 32 Homers.

2010 .393 OBP with 22 Homers

Backtracking a bit, but am I totally wrong in thinking the Red Sox will enter next year as a team that is more on the rebuild side of things than the win now side?

What's so great about Lavarnaway? I'm looking at his stats. Nothing that blows you away. Then I read about him. Nothing spectacular. In Red Sox prospect lists he seems to be ranked about 5th in the organization. You don't make major league moves based on a guy like this. If you have a high B to A prospect you make sure you don't block him. B and C guys, you don't count on until they master minor league pitching.

I wouldn't have Lavaranaway as an opening day starter, Ideally the Red Sox would bring in a player looking to rebuild their value at 1st base. Carlos Pena or Mark Reynolds would make sense. If Lavarnaway is rocking AAA pitching you trade the incumbent and promote Lavarnaway, if he's struggling you cut bait.

Enough Red Sox talk how about some Brewers talk.

What's so great about Lavarnaway? I'm looking at his stats. Nothing that blows you away. Then I read about him. Nothing spectacular. In Red Sox prospect lists he seems to be ranked about 5th in the organization. You don't make major league moves based on a guy like this. If you have a high B to A prospect you make sure you don't block him. B and C guys, you don't count on until they master minor league pitching.

No clue, but the media props him up to be the second coming of Varitek.

I'd be pretty dang happy with both those moves if they happen. Gomes as a strictly platoon option is foolishly good and Napoli is the kind of guy who can get hot and carry a team for awhile. As a Brewers fan one of the dream scenarios I had in my head for this offseason was the Brewers trading Corey Hart and convincing Napoli to sign as a 1st baseman. I think Napoli will be a value signing this year.

I hope they dont trade Hart, not only am I a big fan of him, but he's a logical 1B for the next year or two. Brewers have zero internal options for 1B, Morris came out of nowhere, while his AA campaign was pretty awesome, it was still in AA. Brewers dont need to change offense at all, keep what they've got, and just focus on bullpen and a SP or two. The offense/defense is going to be solid this year, for Milwaukee standards at least....

C- Lucroy / Maldy

1B - Hart

2B - Weeks

SS - Segura

3B - Ramirez

LF - Braun

CF - Gomez

RF - Aoki

with Green, Schafer, Gamel all floating on the bench/RF/CF/1B.

Corey Hart is a very very very good baseball player. He seems to be perpetually under rated. The problem is Hart is in the final year of his deal. With Andre Eithier getting the crazy bank that he got last year Hart has to be looking for something similar. 5 years $85 million isn't something I'd be enthusiastic about the Brewers doing with Hart. Maybe I'm wrong and Hart will sign for something closer to the 4 year 50 million range, but that seems like a huge discount. Swishers deal this offseason might set the market for what it would take to extend Hart.

So I guess I'd just rather trade Hart than sign him to a mega contract. I don't want massive changes to the offense, but I would never hesitate to pull off a trade to try and make improvements.

Morris is a guy that I am not to sure why Brewers fans are going nuts over. 1 good year doesn't make a player, although he has gotten better every year.

Corey Hart is a very very very good baseball player. He seems to be perpetually under rated. The problem is Hart is in the final year of his deal. With Andre Eithier getting the crazy bank that he got last year Hart has to be looking for something similar. 5 years $85 million isn't something I'd be enthusiastic about the Brewers doing with Hart. Maybe I'm wrong and Hart will sign for something closer to the 4 year 50 million range, but that seems like a huge discount. Swishers deal this offseason might set the market for what it would take to extend Hart.

So I guess I'd just rather trade Hart than sign him to a mega contract. I don't want massive changes to the offense, but I would never hesitate to pull off a trade to try and make improvements.

Morris is a guy that I am not to sure why Brewers fans are going nuts over. 1 good year doesn't make a player, although he has gotten better every year.

Hart loves milwaukee, he'll take a "discount" to stay, I am pretty certain on that. he doesnt want to leave.

now, some how, the media loves trying to tie Hamilton to the Brewers... which I cannot see happening.. but if some how that does happen you can be sure Hart will be traded.

I like the Madsen signing for the Angels, one year deal for relatively low $$ and very incentive driven. Could be a nice addition to a terrible pen. They still could use a few more new guys in the pen.

Now to fill out that terrible starting staff (minus Weaver). I think Id rather have them just forget about Greinke for what he's gonna cost and use that money to go get Lohse and one other solid starter....or try and get Wright to play 3B cause Callaspo isnt gonna get the job done. Just sucks they traded away everyone that any team would want in a trade to get Greinke for about 6 starts. DiPoto's got a lot of work ahead of him. Sounds like the Dodgers are going to get Grinke anyways and Grienke was only average anyways in his short time with the Angels.

How much did Madson sign for? I didnt see a price anywhere. I think he should have to play for the Reds on his one year deal since he never made an appearance for them in spring or regular season, so he banked 9 million for doing absolutely nothing.

If he is anything like he was in Philly (which is a question coming off of TJ for a closer/setup) you will finally have a real closer again. He was great watching as he came up and through the Phillies pen and am glad they had him make the switch to the bullpen and not starting.

1 year/$3.5M guaranteed and another $2.5M in incentives. Hopefully he's healthy and having Frieri in the 8th and him in the 9th would be nice. Plus if Walden can finally figure his shit out and Jepsen can repeat what he did last year they could have a nice pen.

Still big holes in the starting rotation and at 3B. Pretty set everywhere else though.

Did they say outright that Madson will be closing? I would leave Frieri in there. Better stuff, long enough track record (he has been mowing dudes down for 3 years).

Unless you want to use the school of thought that you need a guy like Frieri to be available and strike 2 dudes out when that 7th inning rally hits against your starter. He's the better pitcher, though.

That seems like a lot

seeing as he was the most reliable pitcher on a team that made the 2nd round of the playoffs? not really. The Yanks aren't moving away from big contracts, they're just moving to be under the cap by the year the new luxury tax limit comes in... so they're more than happy to spend big on one year contracts (especially pitching) for the next year or two while they're young guys develop, and then the big money guys drop off right before the cap is set.. i mean this year will be the last for Mo, Kuroda, and Andy.. thats what... 42M-ish right there? and if any of their 3-4 touted pitching prospects, or that kid from seattle pan out.. they have a pitching roster mainly comprised of highly touted young arms making less than $2M a pop

What is the current luxury tax and how does it change in the future?

threshold for 2013 is $178 million

threshold for 2014 is $189 million

teams are taxed on the amount that they are over the threshold, so if a payroll is $188 million, that $10 million overage falls under the new luxury tax, and the tax rate is determined by how often they cross the threshold.

Those rates beginning in 2013 are:

First-time offenders: 17.5 percent

Second-time offenders: 30 percent

Third-time offenders: 40 percent

Four-time or more offenders: 50 percent

Hanson has had shoulder issues. Kris Medlen ascended to the top of the rotation. This smacks of a team that thinks he's seen his best days and the Angels are looking for a bounce back.

I personally like the Angels take on this, I don't see why you give up on a guy like Hanson even with a pretty well stocked minor league system.

The better question: How the hell is BJ Upton worth 15mil a year? I think he's a fine player but if that isn't a stupid contract I don't know what it.

Wow. I like that trade for the Angels a ton. Not sure what the Braves are thinking (Hanson to expensive or just expendable because of minor league depth?).

On the luxury tax rates, is that consecutive years? So if you dump salary for a single year, it starts over?

no, its cumulitive years from my understanding. do it once, 17.5%, do it a second time 3 years later its 30%.

Gotta admit that is slightly more money than I thought Napoli would get. I still like the pickup from Bostons perspective, just about $1.5 million more per year than I thought he'd sign for.

Anxious for winter meetings to heat up. Will Grienke get $150 million? Swisher $100? Anibal Sanchez $90? The new TV deals are really changing the financial landscape of baseball.