MLB Discussion

angles dodgers freeway series :)

I'm personally pulling for two scenarios:

Angels v. Dodgers for a Freeway Series

Red Sox v. Dodgers for a Manny return to Boston fun time

Im about 99% sure neither will happen. Either team would destroy the Dodgers in the WS. Would love to see that freeway series tho.

Im about 99% sure neither will happen. Either team would destroy the Dodgers in the WS. Would love to see that freeway series tho.

The Dodgers and Angels split the season series 3-3 (the Angels outscored the Dodgers 18-17)... and that was all before the Manny trade.

And given the Red Sox issue with Beckett they'll be hard pressed to get past the Angels.

The Dodgers and Angels split the season series 3-3 (the Angels outscored the Dodgers 18-17)... and that was all before the Manny trade.

And given the Red Sox issue with Beckett they'll be hard pressed to get past the Angels.

Yea Im pretty confident the Angels will beat the Sox in the first round. Sox are a VERY strong team tho and even if they give up a lot of runs they definitely have the power to score a lot of runs and stay in the game. Angels should beat them tho. I guarantee if the Angels play the Dodgers in the WS the Angels will beat them. I dont care about Manny or the Dodgers pitching, the Angels will beat the Dodger for sure. Angels have flat out better pitching also. They have probably the best starting rotation in baseball and the best closer and one of the top set up guys. I dont see that going anymore than 5 games either. The Angels and Dodgers play in equally terrible divisions and the Angels had 100 wins and the Dodgers had 84. The Dodgers wouldnt even make the playoffs in any other division in baseball. Point being, the Dodgers really are not that good of a team and I expect them to be out of the playoffs very soon.

I guarantee if the Angels play the Dodgers in the WS the Angels will beat them. I dont care about Manny or the Dodgers pitching, the Angels will beat the Dodger for sure. Angels have flat out better pitching also. They have probably the best starting rotation in baseball and the best closer and one of the top set up guys. I dont see that going anymore than 5 games either. The Angels and Dodgers play in equally terrible divisions and the Angels had 100 wins and the Dodgers had 84. The Dodgers wouldnt even make the playoffs in any other division in baseball. Point being, the Dodgers really are not that good of a team and I expect them to be out of the playoffs very soon.

Advantage = BLUE

Angels (Starting Pitching)

ERA: 4.16

WHIP: 1.31

K/9: 6.47

BAA: .267

OPS: .737

Dodgers (Starting Pitching)

ERA: 3.87

WHIP: 1.30

K/9: 6.86

BAA: .257

OPS: .698

Angels (Relief Pitching)

ERA: 3.67

WHIP: 1.34

K/9: 7.76

BAA: .250

OPS: .709

Sv%: 74 (23 blown saves)

Dodgers (Relief Pitching)

ERA: 3.33

WHIP: 1.26

K/9: 8.62

BAA: .241

OPS: .677

Sv%: 64 (20 blown saves)

The only small thing on the pitching numbers is the Angels' pitchers need to face an extra hitter every game and play in a more hitter friendly league.

Yea Im pretty confident the Angels will beat the Sox in the first round. Sox are a VERY strong team tho and even if they give up a lot of runs they definitely have the power to score a lot of runs and stay in the game. Angels should beat them tho. I guarantee if the Angels play the Dodgers in the WS the Angels will beat them. I dont care about Manny or the Dodgers pitching, the Angels will beat the Dodger for sure. Angels have flat out better pitching also. They have probably the best starting rotation in baseball and the best closer and one of the top set up guys. I dont see that going anymore than 5 games either. The Angels and Dodgers play in equally terrible divisions and the Angels had 100 wins and the Dodgers had 84. The Dodgers wouldnt even make the playoffs in any other division in baseball. Point being, the Dodgers really are not that good of a team and I expect them to be out of the playoffs very soon.

Or maybe the Angels played A TON of crappy teams intradivisionally and the Dodgers actually had 4 good teams in their division. Maybe the NL West has 5 teams that beat the crap out of each other all year when they face each other 18-19 times. Maybe the division has good pitching and tough parks, save for CO, to hit in so runs are at a premium. Maybe people should watch the NL West more closely since, well, the top 3 out of 5 guys in NL strikeout leaders are in the West. And half of the top 15 are in the NL West.

The only small thing on the pitching numbers is the Angels' pitchers need to face an extra hitter every game and play in a more hitter friendly league.

Oh, I know -- didn't have time to look into the more in-depth numbers. Just wanted to point out that the knee-jerk idea that the Angels are far superior to the Dodgers is absurd. (Plus, the relief numbers don't factor in pitchers batting anyway since most of them are lifted for PHs at that point, so I'd say that's a decided advantage for the Dodgers.)

I guarantee if the Angels play the Dodgers in the WS the Angels will beat them. I dont care about Manny or the Dodgers pitching, the Angels will beat the Dodger for sure. Angels have flat out better pitching also. They have probably the best starting rotation in baseball and the best closer and one of the top set up guys. I dont see that going anymore than 5 games either. The Angels and Dodgers play in equally terrible divisions and the Angels had 100 wins and the Dodgers had 84. The Dodgers wouldnt even make the playoffs in any other division in baseball. Point being, the Dodgers really are not that good of a team and I expect them to be out of the playoffs very soon.

Advantage = BLUE

Angels (Starting Pitching)

ERA: 4.16

WHIP: 1.31

K/9: 6.47

BAA: .267

OPS: .737

Dodgers (Starting Pitching)

ERA: 3.87

WHIP: 1.30

K/9: 6.86

BAA: .257

OPS: .698

Angels (Relief Pitching)

ERA: 3.67

WHIP: 1.34

K/9: 7.76

BAA: .250

OPS: .709

Sv%: 74 (23 blown saves)

Dodgers (Relief Pitching)

ERA: 3.33

WHIP: 1.26

K/9: 8.62

BAA: .241

OPS: .677

Sv%: 64 (20 blown saves)

Would still take the entire Angels pitching staff ANY DAY over the Dodgers. Angels pitching = 100 wins and Dodgers pitching = 84 wins.

Advantage = RED

Would still take the entire Angels pitching staff ANY DAY over the Dodgers. Angels pitching = 100 wins and Dodgers pitching = 84 wins.

A) They're pretty equivalent. And the Dodgers are younger.

B) Angels and the Dodgers didn't play the same teams so how, exactly, is their record comparable to one another?

We don't need another Angels v. Dodgers debate. The Dodgers as they are currently were pretty darn good over the two months Manny was here. Now that's all that matters. They have Manny now, they'll have him for the playoffs. The Dodgers were something like 24-17 with Manny. If you project that over a year its 96 wins, not 84. Now that doesn't count the games once the division was clinched.

B) Angels and the Dodgers didn't play the same teams so how, exactly, is their record comparable to one another?

We don't need another Angels v. Dodgers debate. The Dodgers as they are currently were pretty darn good over the two months Manny was here. Now that's all that matters. They have Manny now, they'll have him for the playoffs. The Dodgers were something like 24-17 with Manny. If you project that over a year its 96 wins, not 84. Now that doesn't count the games once the division was clinched.

There is no fuckin way the Dodgers pitching is as good as the Angels. All 5 starters were in double digit wins. Teams dont pick their own schedule. You just have to beat who ever you play. If you wanna talk about who plays a lot of crappy teams inter-divisionally then the Angels get 3 other crappy teams and the Dodger get 4 other crappy teams all year. Plus the Angels have to pitch to a DH every game. Thats a big difference between facing a pitcher and a DH. Also in the AL West are the Rangers who have a damn good offensive line up. That team can hit, but thats about all they can do. You can project numbers with Manny but the Angels picked up Teixeira mid season too and I would say if they had him all year they would have won more games too. The Angels v. Dodgers debate ends when all Dodger fans finally admit the Angels are a superior team ;) hahaha

Seriously tho, even being a fan of the Dodgers, you have to admit the Angels ARE better. I mean they were the best team in baseball this year. The Dodgers flirted with .500 all year while the Angels were around .600 all year. Im pretty sure they had winning records against every other good team in the AL. Had the most road wins by far and the second most home wins. At the end of the day it all comes down to W's and the Angels had more than anyone.

You can project numbers with Manny but the Angels picked up Teixeira mid season too and I would say if they had him all year they would have won more games too.

Angels, before Teixeira: 66-41 (.617)

Dodgers, before Manny: 54-54 (.500)

Angels, after Teixeira: 34-21 (.618)

Dodgers, after Manny: 30-24 (.556)

That projects to the Angels finishing at 100-62 (which they did), and the Dodgers finishing at 90-72 (or a 6-game increase).

Doesn't really mean much... just thought it was interesting.

There is no fuckin way the Dodgers pitching is as good as the Angels. All 5 starters were in double digit wins. Teams dont pick their own schedule. You just have to beat who ever you play. If you wanna talk about who plays a lot of crappy teams inter-divisionally then the Angels get 3 other crappy teams and the Dodger get 4 other crappy teams all year. Plus the Angels have to pitch to a DH every game. Thats a big difference between facing a pitcher and a DH. Also in the AL West are the Rangers who have a damn good offensive line up. That team can hit, but thats about all they can do. You can project numbers with Manny but the Angels picked up Teixeira mid season too and I would say if they had him all year they would have won more games too. The Angels v. Dodgers debate ends when all Dodger fans finally admit the Angels are a superior team ;) hahaha

Seriously tho, even being a fan of the Dodgers, you have to admit the Angels ARE better. I mean they were the best team in baseball this year. The Dodgers flirted with .500 all year while the Angels were around .600 all year. Im pretty sure they had winning records against every other good team in the AL. Had the most road wins by far and the second most home wins. At the end of the day it all comes down to W's and the Angels had more than anyone.

The premise that they're better means I'd have to agree wins were some measure of better, which they're not. When the Angels played the Dodgers, the only true and fair comparison they each won 3 of the six games they played. Small sample size, sure but the only true measure of one team against the other.

As for pitching staffs, again not dictated by wins. Pitchers have zero control over so much outside of walks, strikeouts, and homeruns when they pitch wins is hardly a deciding factor. Just ask Johan Santana. He was probably one of the best pitchers in the NL but only had 16 wins, less than Saunders of the Angels. However, Johan had a MUCH better year than Saunders did. Johan's bullpen blew out 6 games for him throughout the year that should have been wins. Nothing to do with Johan's performance AT ALL.

Just ask Johan Santana. He was probably one of the best pitchers in the NL but only had 16 wins, less than Saunders of the Angels. However, Johan had a MUCH better year than Saunders did. Johan's bullpen blew out 6 games for him throughout the year that should have been wins. Nothing to do with Johan's performance AT ALL.

Or Lincecum. That poor bastard really got the shaft from SF's offense/bullpen. (Although winning the NL Cy Young will make him feel better, I'm sure...)

Just ask Johan Santana. He was probably one of the best pitchers in the NL but only had 16 wins, less than Saunders of the Angels. However, Johan had a MUCH better year than Saunders did. Johan's bullpen blew out 6 games for him throughout the year that should have been wins. Nothing to do with Johan's performance AT ALL.

Or Lincecum. That poor bastard really got the shaft from SF's offense/bullpen. (Although winning the NL Cy Young will make him feel better, I'm sure...)

I don't like the Giants but Lincecum is amazing. The dude throws cheese. They had an angle at the game on Sunday from behind the plate. He throw a 2-seam fastball (moves in on a righty) that I swear broke 10 inches and was going at least 92. I mean it was insane. I'm not sure how he ever gets hit. He's the Cy Young award winner, by far.

I don't like the Giants but Lincecum is amazing. The dude throws cheese. They had an angle at the game on Sunday from behind the plate. He throw a 2-seam fastball (moves in on a righty) that I swear broke 10 inches and was going at least 92. I mean it was insane. I'm not sure how he ever gets hit. He's the Cy Young award winner, by far.

He's seriously legit. And to think he won 18 games despite his bullpen blowing 5 saves in his starts.

He also had 5 starts where he gave up a run or less and still lost.

Not to mention his filthy 10.51 K/9.

He should have had 27 wins this year.