MLB Discussion

Thank you kindly! Your NL West Division Champs: Los Angeles Dodgers.

I really dislike Torre, I didnt wanna see him make the playoffs this year. Cograts on your team tho!

How cool would a Freeway World Series be?

Really? Why? I don't think I've ever heard him say anything near controversial.

I really dislike Torre, I didnt wanna see him make the playoffs this year. Cograts on your team tho!

How cool would a Freeway World Series be?

Everyone thinks hes this great manager and hes really not that great. He is a below .500 manager if you take out the years he managed the Yankees. The Yankees were stacked most of those years. Also a few times the Halos have knocked the Yanks out of the playoffs and he never gave the Angels credit for being a better team than the Yankees. He was always like well we should have won and blah blah blah. Just dont like the guy.

Everyone thinks hes this great manager and hes really not that great. He is a below .500 manager if you take out the years he managed the Yankees. The Yankees were stacked most of those years. Also a few times the Halos have knocked the Yanks out of the playoffs and he never gave the Angels credit for being a better team than the Yankees. He was always like well we should have won and blah blah blah. Just dont like the guy.

People over credit managers for everything. It happened last night during the Mets/Cubs game. They were showing stats and how Manuel has got the team playing better. You know what? He didn't do anything. Carlos Delgado woke-up. Manuel doesn't pitch or hit. He puts on plays. That's how he helps. He consults, that's all. He's not why the Mets are better, the players are. Now the players are changed by the manager, sure but common, they're pros.

angels better than tampa bay? maybe by 3 wins... but look at their division they're in and who they play a lot... vs who TB plays a lot through out the season. LA has texas, oakland and seattle, 3 teams UNDER .500, they were 34-19 against their division while TB was 40-28 in their division... where 4 of the 5 teams are 9+ games over .500. I think Tampa Bay has been the better team compared to LA. Higher run differential, but a lower winning percentage against their own (stronger) division, even though they played more games in their division than LA did in their own, I dunno. Cubs by far are the best NL team, but my mind is set that Tampa Bay is the best team in the AL.

The Angels killed the AL East this year. Especially NY and Boston. I think the Rays won more games head to head against the Angels tho. But either way their record against the top 3 AL East teams is pretty good. Not sure what it is but they dominated the Sox so far this season and they always dominate the Yanks. Rays have almost no post season experience and I really dont think they will make it to the WS. They might beat who ever wins in the Central in the first round but if they make it that far they will be bounced by either the Angels or Boston. If the Angels dont win it all Id like to see the Rays win it tho.

third-order? not sure i get it?

Sorry, I should've explained.

If you're familiar with Expected W-L (a team's W-L record based on the relationship between RS-RA, also called Pythagorean W-L) third-order wins (W3) are very similar, except instead of being based solely on RS-RA it's based on AEqR and AEqRA. AEqR (related to RS) and AEqRA (related to RA) are adjusted numbers that account for the quality of the pitching and defense of a team's opponent.

For example, beating the Royals 10-2 and beating the Rays 10-2 aren't viewed as being equal under W3 -- the fact that the Rays are a superior team to the Royals makes the victory more impressive so RS-RA are adjusted accordingly in the form of AEqR and AEqRA.

(I hope I explained that clearly.)