MLB Discussion

I'm kinda surprised at the 16 mill number.

If the pirates had offered a qualifying offer, the number would have been lower, though. Isn't it that you have to offer 1 year, 14 mill to get a 1st round pick? If the Phil's had to give up a 1st rounder, would they have offered more than 14?

Burnett's numbers are damn fine, though. Earned it I guess.

I'm kinda surprised at the 16 mill number.

If the pirates had offered a qualifying offer, the number would have been lower, though. Isn't it that you have to offer 1 year, 14 mill to get a 1st round pick? If the Phil's had to give up a 1st rounder, would they have offered more than 14?

Burnett's numbers are damn fine, though. Earned it I guess.

the QO is $14.1 million, player can choose to accept/decline it.  if they decline it they can sign anywhere.  If they sign with a new team that team loses their 1st rd pick and the pirates would get a supplemental pick between the 1st/2nd rd.  if the team that signs burnett has a draft pick in the top 10 they would then lose their 2nd rd pick instead. 

Phillies could have offered Burnett anything they wanted, 5 million or 50 million, they still lose their 1st rd pick if they sign him

the QO is $14.1 million, player can choose to accept/decline it.  if they decline it they can sign anywhere.  If they sign with a new team that team loses their 1st rd pick and the pirates would get a supplemental pick between the 1st/2nd rd.  if the team that signs burnett has a draft pick in the top 10 they would then lose their 2nd rd pick instead. 

Phillies could have offered Burnett anything they wanted, 5 million or 50 million, they still lose their 1st rd pick if they sign him

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/20763514/how-the-new-free-agent-compensation-system-works

So after reading more, it seems that your initial paragraph is right on but the statement about the Phillies is not. Burnett was not offered a qualifying offer and thus the Phils do not have to give up anything to sign him.

My point was just mostly that if they had offered him a QO, it would have brought down the number that he got in his salary, as a team would have to factor in that they have to give up a draft pick to get him. Phillies draft in the top 10, though, so I guess it would have been a second rounder. What's a 2nd rounder worth monetarily? Probably not much more than a couple hundred thousand, a million at most.

I kinda forgot they overhauled the system and was still thinking he might be a type-B free agent or something. Wasn't thinking clearly.

Also, I wasn't talking about what you pay a draft pick, but what is a draft pick worth in dollars on average. Kind of like "if you could buy a second round draft pick (still have to pay his salary), what would it be worth to a team?" It could easily be less or more than the actual money paid to the player.

http://www.mlb.com/news/article/mil/milwaukee-brewers-expect-record-opening-day-payroll?ymd=20140213&content_id=67745494&vkey=news_mil

"The way I look at it, you look at the growth of the industry in general, and how we're doing in revenues locally, and it makes sense," Schlesinger said. "Mark [Attanasio, the Brewers' principal owner] has always said, 'Listen, I'm going to take every cent I can and invest it back into the stadium and invest it back in the players.' The fans over the year have supported us, the national television dollars are increasing, the health of the game from a revenue perspective has never been greater, so it's only natural and fitting that we use those monies to invest in our product.

"I think fans have a correct instinct that, yes, payroll should be going up. With the way our team is constituted, we should have a payroll that stretches us. I don't want to have a payroll where it's very comfortable that, no matter what happens, we're going to have a positive income number. I want us to be challenged as a business … and we go for it, and take risks and stretch ourselves from a financial perspective in a rational way. That's what our fans want. I want to be in that position, to stretch ourselves financially so we have a chance to win a World Series."

I love our front office/ownership takes risks.  its something I feel, living in Pittsburgh and also having my other favorite MLB team being the Pirates, that the Pirates ownership/front office will never embrace. 

they did, but from what I read not a single team has actually made any plans to get rid of the pensions.

Whether they do it all at once or slowly over time doesn't make much difference. If owners weren't going to reduce pensions, they would vote to have the ability to do so.

I haven't thoroughly thought through whether I believe someone like an usher should have a pension in all fairness. I definitely know the baseball owners have the money to give them one though.

Whether they do it all at once or slowly over time doesn't make much difference. If owners weren't going to reduce pensions, they would vote to have the ability to do so.

I haven't thoroughly thought through whether I believe someone like an usher should have a pension in all fairness. I definitely know the baseball owners have the money to give them one though.

im not 100%, but I think its not that they're going to get rid of pensions all together, but the ownership might have another pension plan with another segment of their businesses that would be more cost effective for them to enroll their employees in than the MLB pension plan.  before all employees were covered under the same pension plan, this now gives ownership the chance to move people around to different plans

Thinking about taking Bryce Harper at #4 in my league. It's a reach but he's so young and it's a 3 year keeper league. Anyone have a good grasp on his knee issue and how it will affect his ability to play?

Also kinda wondering if maybe I am too low on Mccutchen. Seems like he is pretty locked into the #4 spot in all the lists. I just can't see taking a guy who didn't even hit 100 runs or 100 rbis that early. Am I crazy?

youre not crazy, outside of AVG and maybe SB im not sure McCutchen is worth that high of a pick.  unless you have advanced stats.. im not sure Harper is worth 4th, is it a keeper league already?  if its not there are a lot of other players id take before Harper... Kershaw, Cabrera, etc

i think mccutchen's batting average is keeping him afloat and i think he's a .300 hitter at best. his BAbips the last two years have been crazy.

i like cargo better than harper. with the way harper plays i would consider them both equally injury-risky. cargo puts up mccutchen's full-year numbers in 3/4 of a season every year. he also edges harper in every category although i acknowledge his "upside" and room for growth as a 20 year old, but if cargo made it through a full year he'd be an absolute monster. of course, emphasis on the "if".

If you aren't going to take McCutchen at #4 you should consider taking either Cargo or Hanley. Despite that both guys are regulars on the DL both have the potential to put up monster numbers. I would consider taking Harper if they move him to the #3 or #4 spot in the lineup, but if he's kept at #2 then he's probably a late first/early second round pick only because his opportunities to drive in runs slightly decreases in the #2 spot.

Hanley is getting up there in age a bit (30). He's not much if a base stealer.

For me, it comes down to his average. He might hit .250 and he might hit .330. He's done both in his career. He needs to hit .330 to justify that high draft pick, though. 20 bombs and 90 rbis out of a SS is nice, but not blowing the rest of the field away.

Not like I feared the Indians in the Central but good to see them lose a piece

Our rotation is going to suck this year. I honestly have no idea what to expect from us this year. With everyone we are losing I cant see us being above .500 which sucks. After coming off such a good year last year it would be great to keep building on that. ugh.

so every year i have one team completely autopicked, heres the team, not horrible, deep league, 12 teams, so im going to have to really pay attention to the waiver wires

Torti's Team

1. (7) Carlos González (Col - OF)

2. (18) Joey Votto (Cin - 1B)

3. (31) Félix Hernández (Sea - SP)

4. (42) Jean Segura (Mil - SS)

5. (55) Matt Carpenter (StL - 2B,3B)

6. (66) Hunter Pence (SF - OF)

7. (79) Jordan Zimmermann (Was - SP)

8. (90) Alex Gordon (KC - OF)

9. (103) Matt Moore (TB - SP)

10. (114) Everth Cabrera (SD - SS)

11. (127) Addison Reed (Ari - RP)

12. (138) Asdrubal Cabrera (Cle - SS)

13. (151) Huston Street (SD - RP)

14. (162) Nolan Arenado (Col - 3B)

15. (175) Fernando Rodney (Sea - RP)

16. (186) Wilson Ramos (Was - C)

17. (199) Yovani Gallardo (Mil - SP)

18. (210) Ubaldo Jiménez (Cle - SP)

19. (223) Brandon Moss (Oak - 1B,OF)

20. (234) Kole Calhoun (LAA - OF)

21. (247) Ángel Pagán (SF - OF)

22. (258) Mike Moustakas (KC - 3B)

23. (271) Kelly Johnson (NYY - 2B,3B,OF)