MLB Discussion

I know the sabermetricians love him because of his defense but he's a .270 hitter who has never had 100 runs, 10 homers (playing a park that makes it easy on lefties), or 55 RBI.

His steals dropped off last year but his CS percentage has always been higher than you would like. He's missed a fair amount of games and he is getting to that point in his career (30) where speed players often see a pretty significant drop off in their abilities.

Just think there are too many holes in his game for $13 million a year. I would have been under $10 million.

I just think there is something wrong with the picture when a "good on base guy and a burner" can't cross 100 runs. He's not even a given to cross 90 runs in a full season, and that comes with 50 rbis. Defense is great and all, but you can't completely overlook the fact that despite his peripherals, he has just not created runs throughout his career.

Maybe it's baserunning skills? Being fast isn't everything. Still have to be able to time pitchers, take the extra base, etc.

i have a hard time believing someone lower down on the phillies' ladder was the one who reported it without upper management's knowledge. even if it did happen somehow i agree with mike, that's on amaro. idiots.

orioles went all in this year by screwing next year's draft and i think they'll be lucky to be much more than a .500 team

this years draft, they lose both picks from the draft in June

I just think there is something wrong with the picture when a "good on base guy and a burner" can't cross 100 runs. He's not even a given to cross 90 runs in a full season, and that comes with 50 rbis. Defense is great and all, but you can't completely overlook the fact that despite his peripherals, he has just not created runs throughout his career.

Maybe it's baserunning skills? Being fast isn't everything. Still have to be able to time pitchers, take the extra base, etc.

In 10 and 11 the majority of his AB's came hitting 7, 8 or 9. Last season he led off all year, but the Yankees stunk.

I would be worried that his 2 truly exceptional seasons are two years removed, but not worried enough to think The Yankees didn't get a good deal.

this years draft, they lose both picks from the draft in June

oops i misspoke, i was thinking in terms of the guys who will debut in the minors next year (although i always forget about short season A). but yeah the two lost picks and the o's are basically all in for 2014. poor timing. might as well go for santana at this point

oops i misspoke, i was thinking in terms of the guys who will debut in the minors next year (although i always forget about short season A). but yeah the two lost picks and the o's are basically all in for 2014. poor timing. might as well go for santana at this point

they actually can debut in july in the minors, the signing date was moved up to a couple weeks after the draft, its no longer mid august, so a number of players make their minor league debut in late july/august and play fall/winter ball.

It's their fault for not controlling their staff, they should know better than that

Rumor is that it isnt Ruben Amaro Jr or any of his assistants but instead a smaller role person in the office that reported them.

It sounds like spin control from the Phillies organization after at least one college coach said their scouts were not welcome at the games any longer.

You hit the nail on the head. I just can't see him being worth $13 million a season. His stats are comparable to Denard Span and no way any team would pay Span $13 million a year. $6-8 million probably is the ballpark where Garnder should have been paid.

except the orioles! they already dashed their first two rounds. third round pick is nothing at this point. i couldn't even name you their DH right now (is it urrutia?)... at this point they've got the remainder of the free agent market cornered because their marginal cost is so low compared to all other teams

except the orioles! they already dashed their first two rounds. third round pick is nothing at this point. i couldn't even name you their DH right now (is it urrutia?)... at this point they've got the remainder of the free agent market cornered because their marginal cost is so low compared to all other teams

what the O's pull this:

sign Cruz and Morales, lose 2nd and 3rd rd picks

Morales and Cruz both have good years

offer Morales and Cruz QO's in off-season

if either turn down the QO they just got themselves an additional draft pick at a higher slot than what they gave up (and slot money) in the 2015 draft, esentially 3 1st rd picks

You hit the nail on the head. I just can't see him being worth $13 million a season. His stats are comparable to Denard Span and no way any team would pay Span $13 million a year. $6-8 million probably is the ballpark where Garnder should have been paid.

I think you would be surprised at what Span would get on the open market, and he's never had a 6 win season

what the O's pull this:

sign Cruz and Morales, lose 2nd and 3rd rd picks

Morales and Cruz both have good years

offer Morales and Cruz QO's in off-season

if either turn down the QO they just got themselves an additional draft pick at a higher slot than what they gave up (and slot money) in the 2015 draft, esentially 3 1st rd picks

For Cruz and Morales to receive contract offers better than the $14 mil qualifying offer, they would have to demolish their 2013 seasons otherwise they would have gotten those deals this offseason

For Cruz and Morales to receive contract offers better than the $14 mil qualifying offer, they would have to demolish their 2013 seasons otherwise they would have gotten those deals this offseason

contracts dont have to be better than $14 million, not sure where that factors in

Yeah I wonder if Cruz is planned to be the DH. I think he is considered an above average hitter and a defensive liability.

I think what lemon goat is getting at is that Morales and Cruz effed up by not taking $14 million deals. If the orioles offer those next year, they will take them. Thus, no draft picks unless they really step their game up and get a big multi year deal.

nelson cruz was absolutely belting home runs before he got busted. he can hit 40 home runs if he can actually manage to play a full season, and any team will pay for that

Cruz is a nice bat, but I will disagree with you that he is capable of hitting 40 home runs in a full season. He has at least one trip to the DL every season, and he has hit 30 or more home runs just once in his careeer. The one season where he played 159 games he only hit 24 home runs. He hasn't even come close to 40 hr mark at all in his career, and I don't think we ever will. However, I do think Cruz is good for 25-28 hr and 80-85 rbi's a year which is still pretty nice to have in the lineup.

if you could take one of the following two players (2080 games over 13 seasons of the same age-range) who would you take?  if you know who either player is, please dont say.  this was a conversation a buddy and I had a few nights ago, kinda curious what everyone would do

A.)  1261 runs, 2742 hits, 323 2b, 83 3b, 111 HR, 695 RBI, 472 SB, .319/.361/.775

B.)  1377 runs, 2658 hits, 511 2b, 82 3b, 106 HR, 775 RBI, 127 SB, .315/.390/.823

if you could take one of the following two players (2080 games over 13 seasons of the same age-range) who would you take?  if you know who either player is, please dont say.  this was a conversation a buddy and I had a few nights ago, kinda curious what everyone would do

A.)  1261 runs, 2742 hits, 323 2b, 83 3b, 111 HR, 695 RBI, 472 SB, .319/.361/.775

B.)  1377 runs, 2658 hits, 511 2b, 82 3b, 106 HR, 775 RBI, 127 SB, .315/.390/.823

Do they play the same position?