MLB Discussion

Drew the 4th pick in my 14 man keeper league (this year we start from scratch). 5x5 roto.

Drafting today, if the other guys stick to the ranks and it goes Trout, cabby, Goldie to start, think I'd go cargo. Mccutchen looks very overrated this year to me. Cargo's numbers don't look that different in 50 less games.

Really wish I would have gotten 1 or 2, though. Those picks are easy. After that, it's a crapshoot this year.

Just beware of Cargos injury history.  He always finds ways to miss time during the year.  I love him but he does have the label of injury prone.  Plus there is the rumblings of rumors of he or Tulo getting traded in the next year or two.  While last year his home / road splits leveled off prior to that his home road splits were crazy.

Not trying to convince you against Cargo because I love him, I've just gotten burned by him getting hurt way to often. 

Yahoo posted a mock that has Billy Hamilton going around pick 40. That just seems insane to me. He's a 2.5 category player (I'll give him half a point for average skills, but no one expects him to hit .320 or anything) IF he doesn't struggle to hit major league pitching. Yeah, 100 steals would be incredible to have but not if it comes with 5 homers, 50 RBIs, and a .275ish average and a top 40 price tag.

It's way to early to do a fantasy draft, such a risk to take players before you know who is going to be healthy or not

I just think that more than any other year, early reports and spring training stats are going to matter on who goes in the 1st round. Braun, Harper, and Davis especially -- all could jump up as high as #3 if they have really strong springs.

I wonder how many more big seasons Edwin has to put up before he is given the respect he deserves. I'd take him over Prince Fielder in a second. People are only projecting Prince to do what Edwin has actually put up over the last 2 years.

Speaking of Edwin...who is the journeyman player the Jays are going to take and turn into one of the most feared hitters in baseball this year?

I wonder how many more big seasons Edwin has to put up before he is given the respect he deserves. I'd take him over Prince Fielder in a second. People are only projecting Prince to do what Edwin has actually put up over the last 2 years.

edwin is getting some more love this year. espn has him #3 for 1B behind goldy and davis, which is higher than i thought he'd be because i also think people tend to underrate him.

and even then i would still take edwin #2 over davis. maybe davis will hit a couple more home runs but edwin still steals a dozen bags a year and has the plate discipline to hit .300, he just seems to have a consistently low babip somehow. now that i think about it edwin and goldschmidt are really, really similar.

Seeing as there are quite a few Brewers fans around here -

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/02/quick-hits-arroyo-athletics-bray-cardinals-brewers.html

Note at the bottom references the Brewers having an agreement in place to sign a Latin prospect to a $3.2 million deal when the July 2nd International Signing period opens.  It's a long time between now and then so anything could go wrong, but I've wanted the Brewers to start making some more bold moves in the international market.

The Brewers have done well in the past few years at being able to develop low ceiling major league players.  What they need is to get some blue chip talent.  Tyrone Taylor looks like he might be elite.  Orlando Arcia needs a ton of polish but could be an extremely high end SS.  There are a few others but most with major flaws.  David Denson is a guy whos power potential has me drooling.

AJ Burnett signs a 1 yr/16 mil deal with the phillies.  the old team just got older.

To make things worse, Hamels is starting the year on the DL with shoulder soreness. Watching the Phils for 162 games this year is going to be really painful, so, i'm definitely going to buy the baseball package.

To make things worse, Hamels is starting the year on the DL with shoulder soreness. Watching the Phils for 162 games this year is going to be really painful, so, i'm definitely going to buy the baseball package.

Claims to only be 8-10 days behind, but we'll see. Not looking forward to the season.

Couple things?

Is no one going to sign Westbrook?  He wasn't the Cardinals best pitcher...but he wasn't the worst either.

Angels, do they have any chance of getting to the playoffs?  Pujols has to do at least a little better this year doesn't he?

westbrook had an impossibly bad strikeout rate last year -- 3.4 K/9. i honestly don't think i've ever seen one that low for a starter. the royals love pitchers who walk a pedestrian number of batters and are still somewhat effective, though, so maybe they'll sign him to a minor league deal.

for the angels, it's not even really about pujols or hamilton (i think hamilton is poised to bounce back in a big way, too). it's that their rotation and bullpen are awful. angels scored something like the 7th-most runs last year, so the offense will only get better. but weaver is declining, and they don't really have a true #2 (or #3, if you really consider wilson a legit #2). and the bullpen... yikes.