MLB Discussion

Oh thwy are, i think there are some really gpod players in a/aa this year rhat they just drafted the last two years, minors take time to rebuild, they unloaded most talent to get CC, Greinke and Marcum

Doesn't this raise the question of why they gave up all their talent to get those pitchers? They were never really contenders, outside of the "even a wild card team can win the world series" sense.

I'm personally seriously excited about the possibility of Tommy La Stella getting to step in at second base over Uggla. Dude is a hitting machine. Not a power guy but the Braves desperately need a consistent single/double hitter.

http://gradingonthecurve.com/2013/10/29/2014-braves-second-baseman-tommy-la-stella/

So who are the impact prospects this year? Not the "I kinda like this guy to fill a roll and help out" players, but the "this guy might be an all star this year" guys?

Taijaun Walker a pitcher who should get into the Mariners rotation at some point this year and should blow up.  Miguel Sano is a guy who is rising pretty fast and could work his way into the Twins plans this year.  Javier Baez is probably a year away for the Cubs but has crazy upside with the bat.  George Springer is a guy to watch tore up the minors last year but the Astros have more depth in the outfield than it seems and they might just take a more conservative aproach with him because they aren't going to be good anytime soon.  Addison Russel is a guy I can't say enough good about, but I think the As will also play it safe with him.

There are a ton of other guy Byron Buxton is probably the best prospect in baseball but I have a hard time seeing him being more than a September callup.  Oscar Taveras is another mega prospect but I actually think he's a bit overrated but I always think that about Cardinals and they are always good.

There doesn't appear to be an obvious Will Myers, Bryce Harper, Mike Trout coming up this year if that is what you really are looking for.

Padres pitching looking pretty good, hope we're in the top 10 ERA BAA club.

The upside there is crazy.  I loved the Josh Johnson signing and the Ian Kennedy deal was a great buy low.  at the time I wanted my Brewers to make a play for them.  The problem for the Padres is can Johnson and Cashner stay healthy?  Their track record isn't to positive.  Kennedy isn't going to put up the 5 era he did last year but I don't think he rebounds to what he once was.  I'm curious what kind of a role Luebke will have this year.  Or if he is even ready for the start of the year.  Ross, Stults and Erlin are guys I'm not to high on but in that park they could have decent value.  Burch Smith is someone I hope reaches his potential because he could be a great arm for you. 

I don't see anyone in the Twins farm system being called up, and be an all star this year. Buxton, Sano, Meyer, and so forth won't play this year in the bigs, aside from towards the end of the year. Only ones I would consider would be Gibson and Thielbar, but they played last year.

The guys that played some at the end of last year for the Cardinals getting a full season:

Matt Adams, Michael Wacha, Kolton Wong, and then if Taveras comes up this year...

oh shit, yeah, Wacha could easily be an all-star this year. fuck its so frustrating how good the cardinals draft haha

no one has mentioned xander bogaerts yet? technically he is still rookie/prospect eligible and, beyond the cardinals slew of prospects, is most likely to have a manny machado type of year. danny salazar is a beast, and sonny gray should at least be the A's #2 by 2015, if not bypassing aj griffin as their #1.

as for guys who will probably debut this year (and haven't been mentioned yet), gregory polanco will be a monster, and he should usurp tabata's place in right field for the bucs. francisco lindor deserves a roster spot but won't get playing time until after asdrubal cabrera's contract expires this year. miguel sano could see time. archie bradley will probably crack the arizona rotation at some point, too.

and i agree with human ton: i love addison russell too.

I will own Matt Adams in my keeper league this year. Dude is a beast. Amazing that a young player playing at about a 40 home run pace on average couldn't regularly start for them last year until injuries came up.

his college, slippery rock univeristy is where I went for my first 3 years of college, the baseball stadium they built is really awesome.  the fact he was a D-II baseball player might have something to do with it (needing more time for development in the minors).  the numbers he put up at SRU were kind of nuts.

The upside there is crazy.  I loved the Josh Johnson signing and the Ian Kennedy deal was a great buy low.  at the time I wanted my Brewers to make a play for them.  The problem for the Padres is can Johnson and Cashner stay healthy?  Their track record isn't to positive.  Kennedy isn't going to put up the 5 era he did last year but I don't think he rebounds to what he once was.  I'm curious what kind of a role Luebke will have this year.  Or if he is even ready for the start of the year.  Ross, Stults and Erlin are guys I'm not to high on but in that park they could have decent value.  Burch Smith is someone I hope reaches his potential because he could be a great arm for you. 

At first I was wondering why we were loading up on so many "starting" pitchers then I read a report stated in December that Luebke will predominantly be a reliever this season.

Cashner could have a monster year.  he's got the stuff and he's pitching in probably the most pitcher-friendly park in the majors

Do we really still have the largest field in the game?? I know we brought it either center or right field. And I've always been of the nay-side of that argument haha. To me, if a hitter could hit, he could use Petco Park to his advantage... I mean... More space... More room for the ball to drop right? But those days belong to the Tony Gwynns, Craig Biggios, Ichiro Suzukis, of the world and now I know why they're so special. 

At first I was wondering why we were loading up on so many "starting" pitchers then I read a report stated in December that Luebke will predominantly be a reliever this season.

Do we really still have the largest field in the game?? I know we brought it either center or right field. And I've always been of the nay-side of that argument haha. To me, if a hitter could hit, he could use Petco Park to his advantage... I mean... More space... More room for the ball to drop right? But those days belong to the Tony Gwynns, Craig Biggios, Ichiro Suzukis, of the world and now I know why they're so special. 

power goes to die in petco

http://www.parkfactors.com/SD

Matt Adams most likely won't start this year either...

I assumed Craig to the OF with Adams at First now that Beltran is gone? If not that, then what? They just paid Craig. Adams is major league ready. Pointless to not either play him or trade him.

But I don't follow the cards THAT closely so if I'm missing something, let me know.

I assumed Craig to the OF with Adams at First now that Beltran is gone? If not that, then what? They just paid Craig. Adams is major league ready. Pointless to not either play him or trade him.

But I don't follow the cards THAT closely so if I'm missing something, let me know.

no, i think you're right. outfield will be craig, bourjos/platoon and holliday. i assume when taveras comes up he will simply relegate bourjos to the bench, not crowd out craig. i think adams' only risk is getting beaten by righties early in the year and matheny giving up on him. otherwise i think he will play a shitload of first.

i am pretty bummed i let him go when he slumped. my dad is thinking about keeping him, and i'm hoping he listens to the "experts" who all think adams can't do it again, which is pretty dumb.

If Craig pretty much needs to stay at first, they should trade Adams for something they need or a couple prospects who are further away.

We forgot about the biggest prospect of them all -- Tracy McGrady! Yes, that Tracy McGrady....

Article I read said T-Mac is throwing over 90mph. Regardless of whether or not he can locate it that's fucking impressive for a 34 year old NBA player. Fucking athletes man.