MLB Discussion

Then where is DiceK in your example? He got around 100 mil for his contract, then over 50 mil for his posting fee, yet no one ever has said that Dice K is one of the alltime top pitchers paid, not even before Verlander, Felix and Kershaw got their deals. The fact of the matter is that the posting doesnt count, no one  counts it but you. You do realize teams spend other money besides salaries right? They dont include the cost of physical therapy, the new massage therapists, ice tanks, batting cages, etc etc that they buy for their players in their salary, They dont count the cost of ads promoting certain players into their salary.

I consider Dice-K a 150 million dollar signing. He's still below Sabathia, which is as far as I have seen anyone go down the list when talking about where Tanaka fits in, which is why he wasn't discussed.

The difference between your examples and mine (except arguably advertising) is that they are not directly attributable to a single player, and the discussions are about the biggest contracts for individual players (not the most expensive team facilities). If JV had a clause in his contract that said "the Tigers will spend $10 million marketing Justin Verlander over the life of the deal" then yes, I think that should be counted. If the Tigers decided to do it on their own, then no.

If the player has a contract stipulation that an interpreter should be hired by the team, I think cost should be included in the total cost for the player's services.

But the bottom line is that an ice tank here and a massage therapist there are just kind of inconsequential in the whole debate anyways. The salary dominates, the posting fee is significant, and the rest is small potatoes and not really even worth arguing about.

The Garza signing makes all the more sense as to why the Brewers went out and signed Overbay/Reynolds to Minor league deals with MLB roster invites.  I still think Morris or Jason Rogers is the future of 1B for the Brewers, I just dont think either will get a shot this year which is okay by me, Morris wasnt all that stellar in AAA last year and Rogers is still in AA/AAA. 

I really like Gennett, I think he's going to continue to surprise people this year with getting a majority of time at 2B in the majors

also im pumped about KHRUSH DAVIS starting in LF

Well, this sucks for Tanaka. Apparently after federal taxes, and New York's steep state and local taxes, Tanaka will only receive $68 million of his contract.

http://o.dailycaller.com/all/2014-01-24-masashiro-tanaka-will-lose-over-half-his-contract-deal-to-taxes

You make it seem that after its all said and done that $68 million is a bad thing. He'll be making alot more than he could ever have imagined if he stayed in Japan.

Well, this sucks for Tanaka. Apparently after federal taxes, and New York's steep state and local taxes, Tanaka will only receive $68 million of his contract.

http://o.dailycaller.com/all/2014-01-24-masashiro-tanaka-will-lose-over-half-his-contract-deal-to-taxes

yeah, but thats no different than aroid, jeter, ellsbury or any player who chooses to sign a contract with the Yankees.  sure, he could have gone to Miami and not paid any taxes, but he'd also never have a chance at winning anything significant outside of individual awards

Taxes are pretty complicated, especially for the super-rich. They hide behind tax shelters, play all kinds of games with the numbers, and never pay the full amount. I'd be more interested to know what Jeter actually pays than what Tanaka supposedly will pay.

Tax rate on millionaires in the 1950 (when we were supposedly at war with communism) was 90%.

Rumor Alert

On a Brewers site I go to one of the posters has had an incredible track record of "inside info".  The posters there completely trust this guy because he's proven himself to be reliable over a long period of time.

Here is his comment about the Garza delay -

I don't know how legit this is, but I was told this morning that the MRI revealed a partially torn labrum in his pitching shoulder. Garza has said it has no impact on his shoulder and he's perfectly healthy. I was told it might kill the deal and Jimenez would become the next target.

Don't piledrive me - but the person who told me said he source is quite solid. Take it for what it's worth.

Take it with a grain of salt, but I've learned to, within reason, believe this guy. 

Here's a direct link to the post.  http://forum.brewerfan.net/viewtopic.php?p=875266#p875266

I'd definitely hate to give up a 1st round pick for Jimmenez but we're a long way from having to think about that.

on the following page from the guy who broke the story yesterday about the signing:

The only other thing I could think of was that it then had something to do with the contract language so I reached out to a source who confirmed that it was at least part of the situation if it wasn’t all of the snag.

The issue, according to a source, is that the Brewers and Garza are haggling over the distribution of the contract. In other words, how much is paid in which seasons.

They agree on the length and overall value (which they met in the middle on, I’m also told, as the Brewers originally hoped to pay 4yr/$48MM and Garza wanted 4yr/$56MM), but they haven’t yet come to an accord on how the money will be paid out.

Garza is asking for a mostly even average value (which precisely would be $13 million per year) and the Brewers are looking to backload the deal somewhat in order to pay more of it when it’s more affordable. That of course being when the contracts of highly-compensated players like Rickie Weeks and Aramis Ramirez should be off the books.

This hang up in negotiations was described to me as “overcome-able” but deals have also fallen apart over less so nothing is official until the contract is formally announced

http://brewernation.mlblogs.com/2014/01 ... -contract/

Taxes are pretty complicated, especially for the super-rich. They hide behind tax shelters, play all kinds of games with the numbers, and never pay the full amount. I'd be more interested to know what Jeter actually pays than what Tanaka supposedly will pay.

Tax rate on millionaires in the 1950 (when we were supposedly at war with communism) was 90%.

This.

dice-k is staying a met

Meh.

I do a fantasy league with a 3 year keeper cycle. Definitely talked about it a lot. We are starting fresh this year. Next year we keep 4, then 6, then throw them all back. We pull the draft order in a week.

Had someone offer me this deal -- if I get the number 1 pick (almost everyone gonna grab trout without thinking), he switches picks with me. However, if he gets picks 2,3,4, I have the option to take his draft pick if I choose.

Would you do it?

The only reason I phrased it that way is that there is the possibility I get 2 and he gets 4, in which case he would be 2-4 but the switch would not be automatic. If I get 1, it's automatic. If he gets 2-4 and I am lower than him, it's automatic. If both of us our outside top 4, nothing happens.

I'd take trout without thinking at 1. In head to head is a little different but this is 5x5 roto -- he dominates. It's just a different way to play things -- my chances of getting trout go from 1/14 to 0/14 but my odds of getting picks 2-4 go from 3/14 to 6/14. Better chance at guys like cabby, mccutchen, and goldschmidt. Maybe Braun, depending on how he looks and the reports are.

Just wish the Brewers could start improving on their Minor League System.  Don't get me wrong the Brewers have developed some solid players over the last few years and the have a couple of nice pospects in the system but as a mid market team you need to have the pipeline of high end talent.  Moves like the Garza signing can keep you competitive but drafting smart is how you build a contender. 

Just wish the Brewers could start improving on their Minor League System. Don't get me wrong the Brewers have developed some solid players over the last few years and the have a couple of nice pospects in the system but as a mid market team you need to have the pipeline of high end talent. Moves like the Garza signing can keep you competitive but drafting smart is how you build a contender.

Oh thwy are, i think there are some really gpod players in a/aa this year rhat they just drafted the last two years, minors take time to rebuild, they unloaded most talent to get CC, Greinke and Marcum

Oh thwy are, i think there are some really gpod players in a/aa this year rhat they just drafted the last two years, minors take time to rebuild, they unloaded most talent to get CC, Greinke and Marcum

My hometown hosts an A level affiliate of the Brewers minor league system (Brevard Manatees). A couple months ago I was invited to one of those fancy press-box seats and I was going through their literature. It's crazy how many really great players have played at that stadium at one point or another and gone on to play in the big league.