MLB Discussion

I was just joking around with my original comment. Springer is kinda the new "it" young guy. Seems like Trout is just going to steadily produce at this level for a long time. The whole "what if he improves" talk after his rookie season seems to have gone away, though.

Hes the "it" guy until the pirates call up polanco... then he will be the "it" guy

After Holt's 4 doubles today I googled him hoping to find that I'm not the only one who thinks of this every time he comes up to the plate:

brockholt_zpsf994a809.jpg 

**my prayers were answered

http://www.providencejournal.com/sports/red-sox/content/20130601-brock-holt-learning-about-arrested-development.ece

i've gone straight paul heyman every time i've referred to him, but i think this might take over going forward

I definitely disagree with the word "clearly"

Their record against

Boston: 1 and 2

Detroit: 2 and 2

Toronto 0 and 3

They blew out Minnesota, Washington, Houston, but that doesn't impress anyone. 5 and 5 against Seattle isn't very good.

5 and 1 against the Angels is impressive.

Overall, if a team is that far ahead in run differential and barely ahead in the W/L column, it means they are putting up a lot of meaningless runs. Aren't going to be able to play Houston in the first round. Not worried at all.

13 over .500 isnt really "barely ahead" in the W/L column

I was comparing to the other division leaders, where the As are pretty much right in line with the pack (a couple games up or down either way).

Ahh yes, only some games count. Totally forgot

The only games that count for more are the playoffs. All the regular season ones count equally, whether you win by 10 or 1. I'll agree the A's are "clearly" the better team when they go up 10 games on the Tigers or beat them in the playoffs, not when they blow out the Astros a bunch of times in the first half of the season.

Reminds me of the argument "He struggles against good pitching but hammers bad pitching." Good pitching is good for a reason, and bad pitching is bad for a reason.

At the end of the year, the good teams will do ok against good teams and cream bad ones. Bad teams will do ok against bad teams and be creamed by good teams.

The A's have scored the most runs in baseball. They have allowed the fewest runs in baseball. If you want to chalk that up to their schedule, be my guest

yeah i think the sample size is fairly large that the quality of opponents has evened out for mostly everyone. so there are some struggling divisions here and there. but every expected contender that is struggling (rays, nationals, etc.) brings with it an unexpected surprise (marlins, blue jays, etc.) no need to argue on whether any of those teams i mentioned are actually "expected contenders" or "unexpected surprises"; just trying to make a point.

i mean, they score on average 2.0 runs per game more than the other team. next closest team is +1.0 (giants). if they can keep up that pace, they will probably catch some lucky wins going forward (aka a 9-8 win) and some low-scoring wins too. pythagorean W-L has them about -6 wins where they should be, which can be considered "bad luck". say what you want about it but teams usually end up within +2 or 3 runs by the end of the season, given the larger sample size.

Workman suspended for 6 games, Price's actions completely ignored.

Thats typically how warnings work. You dont get suspended for doing something before the warning, but after. Plus Ortiz spouting his mouth off about how he was 'protecting his player' nailed his coffin and he couldnt say it wasnt intentional.

But what about price more or less admitting that his pitch to Ortiz was intentional? There was plenty of evidence with the previous meeting and the ALDS to make a case against him.