MLB Discussion

Frieri was then asked if anybody included the Oakland Athletics, the team that easily swept the Angels just one week ago and the team the Angels host for three games beginning Monday. He didn’t hesitate.
“We’re going to beat them,” Frieri said. “Get ready to write that. I hate to say this, but they have a little bit extra luck. If you pay attention every play, it’s stupid how the game goes their way.”

What an idiot...so the A's have lucked into a +128 run differential?!

Who do you guys think will win the AL MVP? Cruz not gonna keep this up. Donaldson in the mix but his average isn't great. Trout having his worst year yet. Edwin has to hit 40, maybe closer to 50 cause that stat has to carry him.

I wrote Miggy off after he hit .220 for April but he is scorching hot again. Has some work to do in the dinger department but 2 time defending MVP with a .328 average and near the leader in RBIs, I think he's gotta be considered the favorite right now.

i've never seen a guy with such a consistently low babip but if edwin can pull off a .300 babip he should hit something like .300/.400/.600 which would be miggy-mvp territory the past two years. i think trout might not get as much love from voters if this year ends up the worst of his three, which is what it's starting to look like right now, even if it may be mvp caliber.. looks like the defensive metrics like donaldson a lot given his WAR.

Cruz will never win no matter what numbers be puts up because of his past and the voters wont trust him. Also, Miggy's and Donaldsons defense will not factor into the vote at all, it isnt like Simmons was close to the MVP last year and he is one of the greatest defensive SS of all time.

Speaking of, what do you think it will take for Simmons to win MVP? His defensive stats are down a bit so far this year but his offensive numbers were looking much better for a good part of the early season before his recent slump of pop up after pop up. Does he have to have a year where he saves another 40 runs defensively and hits for average to win it?

Speaking of, what do you think it will take for Simmons to win MVP? His defensive stats are down a bit so far this year but his offensive numbers were looking much better for a good part of the early season before his recent slump of pop up after pop up. Does he have to have a year where he saves another 40 runs defensively and hits for average to win it?

He would have to hit over .300 with at least 20 home runs for him to win it with his defense being top notch. I cant see him winning it if someone else hits over .315 with 25 home runs and 100 rbi's.

He would have to hit over .300 with at least 20 home runs for him to win it with his defense being top notch. I cant see him winning it if someone else hits over .315 with 25 home runs and 100 rbi's.

The scary thing is he has that potential. His offense is still very raw but his power is developing nicely.. he has really stellar bat contact. As long as he's hitting in the 7th or 8th spot it will never happen but I think in a few years he will be a top of the order guy.

Machado only gets 5 games and he's going to appeal.. At least the Orioles organization has threatened to send him down for being such a needless asshole.

he's going to lose his appeal, thats probably the one arbitration hearing that is a no-brainer, and even if he;s sent down to the minors before the suspension happens, once he returns to the MLB he'll be suspended 5 games.

The scary thing is he has that potential. His offense is still very raw but his power is developing nicely.. he has really stellar bat contact. As long as he's hitting in the 7th or 8th spot it will never happen but I think in a few years he will be a top of the order guy.

I say this and then he just hits a grand slam.

I don't know what to take seriously on the page. Andrelton Simmons has a .700 career OPS and we are throwing him in the MVP conversation (well, some of us)?

There's an award for stellar fielders even if they are swinging a wet noodle at the plate called the golden glove (although, it does help if you can hit too).

When a dude's runs + rbis together are less than other candidates in a single category, he's not in the conversation. No one's defense is so good it makes up for 120 less runs produced. Completely different conversation from Trout the last couple years, who had stellar offense and defense.

I spaced on Cruz being a cheater for a moment. Good point. He's out. Interesting question with him is what his next contract looks like if he puts up a 40/120 season.

I don't know what to take seriously on the page. Andrelton Simmons has a .700 career OPS and we are throwing him in the MVP conversation (well, some of us)?

There's an award for stellar fielders even if they are swinging a wet noodle at the plate called the golden glove (although, it does help if you can hit too).

When a dude's runs + rbis together are less than other candidates in a single category, he's not in the conversation. No one's defense is so good it makes up for 120 less runs produced. Completely different conversation from Trout the last couple years, who had stellar offense and defense.

I spaced on Cruz being a cheater for a moment. Good point. He's out. Interesting question with him is what his next contract looks like if he puts up a 40/120 season.

Andrelton Simmons has 1 full year in the Majors and played a batting position for one year before that. He was a pitcher before he was drafted. Career OPS is meaningless. To be clear I'm not saying nor is anyone saying he deserves the MVP.