MLB Discussion

lol obviously Nathan has been bad, but on no planet does an acquisition of Soria make a team World Series favorites

On the planet where a team has a championship team but throws away too many games in the 9th.

I'm just happy we got the deal done. Exaggerating a little. Didn't even have to give up anything huge on our end.

On the planet where a team has a championship team but throws away too many games in the 9th.

I'm just happy we got the deal done. Exaggerating a little. Didn't even have to give up anything huge on our end.

Same thing with the Angels, they have blown so many games in the late innings, if they would have won even half the games they had blown at the end this year they would be a few games up on the A's right now. Really happy they picked up Huston Street, thats a huge move for them and makes the bullpen much much stronger overall.

Should be a great series starting in Anaheim, Richards vs. Sherzer tonite.

Same thing with the Angels, they have blown so many games in the late innings, if they would have won even half the games they had blown at the end this year they would be a few games up on the A's right now. Really happy they picked up Huston Street, thats a huge move for them and makes the bullpen much much stronger overall.

Should be a great series starting in Anaheim, Richards vs. Sherzer tonite.

Oakland has the same amount of blown saves as Anaheim.

They also just dumped Jim Johnson, which I'll take as being equal to adding Soria

Oakland has the same amount of blown saves as Anaheim.

They also just dumped Jim Johnson, which I'll take as being equal to adding Soria

I'm sure thats true. The A's and Angels are pretty evenly matched, it will probably come right down to the end of the season for the division.

I dont think dropping a bad closer is equal to aquiring a new good closer though.

It was pretty tongue in cheek, but Oakland has been trying to function with a 24 man roster since Johnson couldn't be used in any situation

Yea, with Frieri it got to the point where I almost expected him to blow it or at least give up a bomb before he closed a game.

It's going to be a fun divison to watch for the rest of the year.

Bryant Gumbel on La Russa and the HOF:

“La Russa is being honored for guiding teams he managed to 2,728 wins — a total that ranks third in baseball history. But here’s the rub — about 43 percent of all of those wins were recorded when La Russa was managing Mark McGwire and Jose Canseco and winning because of their prodigious power. That’s the same Mark McGwire who has been denied inclusion in the Hall because voters believe that prodigious power owed a great deal to steroids.

“By what logic can the guardians of the Hall vilify McGwire for his pharmaceutically assisted feats — yet glorify La Russa, who benefitted most from those same feats — and who, by the way, conveniently played dumb while his slugger morphed into the Incredible Hulk?

“Look, I’ve nothing against Tony La Russa — nor have I great admiration for Mark McGwire — but it’s hard to understand how the Hall can shame one and fame the other when their achievements are so interdependent. I mean, if La Russa truly deserves induction to the Hall, how do you not make room for the guy who got him there?” (end quote)

Any manager wins with those Oakland and Cardinals teams. Hell, I could have managed them and still gotten at least one W.S. out of it. Guys who manage great talent does not make them a great manager.

Exactly what I've always said about Joe Torre. He was always a mediocre manager but he gets some stacked Yankees teams and wins some some titles. I've always thought he was way over rated as a manager.

Any manager wins with those Oakland and Cardinals teams. Hell, I could have managed them and still gotten at least one W.S. out of it. Guys who manage great talent does not make them a great manager.

yeah, but the point is LaRussa is getting into the HOF for being one of the winningest managers ever, which is in part from players with PED/HGH use winning those games, but those players that he benefited from are blackballed from getting into the HOF.  

yeah, but the point is LaRussa is getting into the HOF for being one of the winningest managers ever, which is in part from players with PED/HGH use winning those games, but those players that he benefited from are blackballed from getting into the HOF.  

I get the point, but I question how good he really was as a manager as well. With someone like Gardenhire who had shit all the time but still managed to get the most out of his players you realize how good a manager he is. La Rusa always had top tier talent and always been overrated like Torre.

There's no good way to judge a manager other than wins, championships, and longevity.

Gardenhire had a lot of talent -- Johan, Liriano, Nathan, Mauer, Morneau, Cuddyer. You see their role players he got credit for getting so much out of play pretty much just as well on other teams (Kubel, punto, neshek, and guys like that). It's all perception. He won with a good teams just like any other good manager would.