MLB Discussion

Tigers have the highest ceiling and lowest floor of any team in the playoff hunt. These ups and downs have been pretty brutal.

There's a closer on the way. No doubt in my mind. I'd love a trade of castellanos for a veteran 3B and a closer.

That is what you get when you build a team of stars and shit.

Tigers have the highest ceiling and lowest floor of any team in the playoff hunt. These ups and downs have been pretty brutal.

sox are in the same boat. they're stuck playing the wait and see game to determine if they need to give up on this year or go all in on it. it's certainly been puzzling for the front office as of late due to a sudden surge in feel-goodery.

There's a closer on the way. No doubt in my mind. I'd love a trade of castellanos for a veteran 3B and a closer.

I feel you on the ups and downs. thats all the Tribe has been doing this year. it is amazing that we were .500 at the break.

do you feel like you guys are going to run away with the division eventually? or do you see it happening like last year with us and the Royals staying close?

the Tribe is 5-1 since LeBron announced he was coming back. obviously there is a connection there.

Unless you mean Alberto Callaspo and Jim Johnson, good luck. Castellanos wouldn't bring in 1 quality piece, let alone 2. I guess maybe Papelbon is Philly is that interested in dumping his salary.

nice double header sweep for the Tribe. Kittens better trade for a closer immediately. your primary closer ERA over 6.00 is ridiculous.

i still dont get how Kluber was not part of the all star team.

two guys stats for you:

- 10-6, 152 Ks, 2.95 ERA, 1.18 WHIP

- 11-3, 150 Ks, 3.34 ERA, 1.20 WHIP

first guy was Kluber, second guy is Scherzer.

god i love kluber!

another (unrelated) blind resume:

.307, 59 R, 12 HR, 48 RBI, 5 SB

.308, 53 R, 12 HR, 52 RBI, 7 SB

first one is melky cabrera, second is puig. i know melky's gonna have to live with his PED shit forever but 2013 certainly looks like the outlier rather than 2012 (ignoring the inflated batting average). either puig gets too much love or melky gets not enough. only huge difference is puig's OPS is about 100 points higher.

Unless you mean Alberto Callaspo and Jim Johnson, good luck. Castellanos wouldn't bring in 1 quality piece, let alone 2. I guess maybe Papelbon is Philly is that interested in dumping his salary.

Think you are underselling Nick. 1st round pick, only 22, and he has a live bat. Hits to all fields already. A team would probably move him back to the OF to cover up his defense.

Chase Headley (FA to be) and Benoit would be great. Maybe have to give up a B prospect also.

It's not a fantasy-land idea.

god i love kluber!

another (unrelated) blind resume:

.307, 59 R, 12 HR, 48 RBI, 5 SB

.308, 53 R, 12 HR, 52 RBI, 7 SB

first one is melky cabrera, second is puig. i know melky's gonna have to live with his PED shit forever but 2013 certainly looks like the outlier rather than 2012 (ignoring the inflated batting average). either puig gets too much love or melky gets not enough. only huge difference is puig's OPS is about 100 points higher.

With your overall point but puig has a few less ABs. Not a ton, but he would add to those stats a bit more if they evened up. I also think the puig hype is a lot lower now than when he was hitting .400 for the month of May, which is the way it should be.

Think you are underselling Nick. 1st round pick, only 22, and he has a live bat. Hits to all fields already. A team would probably move him back to the OF to cover up his defense.

Chase Headley (FA to be) and Benoit would be great. Maybe have to give up a B prospect also.

It's not a fantasy-land idea.

Wouldn't get either one.

He has 1,100 AB's above A-ball and his OBP is .315. He's been below replacement level this season. And you want to move him to a position where he'd have to hit even more to survive.

Wouldn't get either one.

He has 1,100 AB's above A-ball and his OBP is .315. He's been below replacement level this season. And you want to move him to a position where he'd have to hit even more to survive.

He was ranked by MLB as the #11 prospect in baseball in 2013 list and you don't think you could get a half year rental from a team out of the playoff hunt? Apparently you know something the rest of the world doesn't.

He's 22 and holding his own at the plate. There's nothing to worry about with his bat. He just hasn't realized full potential yet. That's why he's a prospect.

I wouldn't trade him straight up for Headley, though.

Brewers put their closer from last year, Henderson on the 60-day DL and recalled former prospect Jeffress to the majors.  for anyone who was not aware of his struggles, he failed 2 drug tests in the minors from smoking pot, which he was doing to self-medicate for what was found out to be a form of childhood epilepsy.  he's apparently gotten that all sorted out and is back on track after a short stint in KC (he went there in the Greinke trade), and Toronto.  so excited for that guy!

People seem to view prospects as cant miss sure fire MVPs these days. Just because someone is a top 50 prospect doesnt mean they will ever put it all together, just ask Dallas Braden, Andy Marte or Matt Gamel how that works out. You arent going to get a great return strictly for Castellanos, maybe a piece like Bryd, but the Phils also dont need a 3B, so I dont see that happening.

Never said he was can't miss. Said he was young, high potential (not MVP potential, but could be an all star one day), and is holding his own in the majors (not excelling), at an age when many players struggle to hit .230 (they often yoyo a couple times between MLB and triple-A before figuring it out).

I think this thread has too many guys who know the game to have to do this much explaining about trading a 22 year old with potential and almost no contract for a veteran who will help this year more but either leave after or cost more. It's not a complicated idea.

Byrd would be a good trade candidate (he's having a great year for him) but yeah, positions don't make sense.

Brewers put their closer from last year, Henderson on the 60-day DL and recalled former prospect Jeffress to the majors. for anyone who was not aware of his struggles, he failed 2 drug tests in the minors from smoking pot, which he was doing to self-medicate for what was found out to be a form of childhood epilepsy. he's apparently gotten that all sorted out and is back on track after a short stint in KC (he went there in the Greinke trade), and Toronto. so excited for that guy!

Some people think prospects are using this to get into the 40 man quicker than they otherwise would. Teams realize that they can protect prospects from suspension by bringing them under the protection of the union.