MLB Discussion

Having a book/movie which greatly exaggerated the impact of his personnel philosophy.

Yeah, Scott Hatteberg really won them a ton of games! Forget about Zito/Mulder/Hudson...

You're missing the point. Totally surprising.

The book (or the part you're referring to) was about replacing Jason Giambi. Hudson/Mulder/Zito didn't change, but he replaced Giambi with Hatteberg and others and they won more games.

As for exaggerating his impact. HA. He (and less ballyhooed Bill James before him) completely changed the way the game is looked at.

If you think Moneyball is only about Scott Hatteberg you need to work on your reading comprehension.

Never said this. It is a well criticized component of the book/movie that it makes too big a deal about guys like Hatteberg and underestimates the impact of their 3 young aces.

Not like this is an authoritative source, but it's the first thing I pulled off google quickly to show it's not like there aren't plenty of people who think the same about Moneyball:

http://blog.wblakegray.com/2009/07/moneyball-was-never-good-idea-for-movie.html?m=1

Never said this. It is a well criticized component of the book/movie that it makes too big a deal about guys like Hatteberg and underestimates the impact of their 3 young aces.

Not like this is an authoritative source, but it's the first thing I pulled off google quickly to show it's not like there aren't plenty of people who think the same about Moneyball:

http://blog.wblakegray.com/2009/07/moneyball-was-never-good-idea-for-movie.html?m=1

Have you even read the book or just read what others say on blogs about it?

Have you even read the book or just read what others say on blogs about it?

Saw the movie, didn't read the book. If you want to apply my comment to the movie only, fair enough. I've heard it talked about on the radio several times as well. It's not an idea I invented on an island.

So the question was "why does billy beane have so much job security" to which you could consider my answer "because he had a movie made about him which put too much focus on guys like Hatteberg and undervalued the contribution of their aces, in an attempt to advance the story about his personnel move strategy."

I understand the concept of moneyball well -- use advanced statistics to find players who bring winning skills to a team that other GMs undervalue contractually. It's not rocket science.

Detroit-Oakland ALCS guaranteed after today

liked the Brewers move to get Parra

Hey hey, dont count the Angels out yet! :)

I still completely believe they can hang with any team in baseball. They didnt go sign a big name starter but they really upgraded their one weak spot on the team already.