MLB Discussion

Never said he was can't miss. Said he was young, high potential (not MVP potential, but could be an all star one day), and is holding his own in the majors (not excelling), at an age when many players struggle to hit .230 (they often yoyo a couple times between MLB and triple-A before figuring it out).

I think this thread has too many guys who know the game to have to do this much explaining about trading a 22 year old with potential and almost no contract for a veteran who will help this year more but either leave after or cost more. It's not a complicated idea.

Byrd would be a good trade candidate (he's having a great year for him) but yeah, positions don't make sense.

And I already gave you the numbers that says he can't get on base. And you admit he can't play defense. Soooooo

BOSOX LOOKIN' AT HOME FIELD ADVANTAGE IN THE SHIP AGAIN! WOOOOOOO!!!!

up 14-1 through 5. that post is feeling like far less of a joke all of a sudden. this team finally seems to have their shit together.

And I already gave you the numbers that says he can't get on base. And you admit he can't play defense. Soooooo

And I called bullshit on your post for being very shortsighted. I'll give you he doesn't have off the wall minor league numbers, but baseball America had him as the #25 prospect coming into this year. If you think he has gone from there to a bust in half a season at age 22, you don't know how baseball works (or you think you know more than baseball america).

And I called bullshit on your post for being very shortsighted. I'll give you he doesn't have off the wall minor league numbers, but baseball America had him as the #25 prospect coming into this year. If you think he has gone from there to a bust in half a season at age 22, you don't know how baseball works (or you think you know more than baseball america).

When a guy doesn't hit, ever, time runs out quickly.

http://www.blessyouboys.com/2014/7/6/5872239/tigers-trade-rumors-nick-castellanos-drew-smyly-robbie-ray

Further proof you are wrong. Ranked as tigers #1 bargaining chip and would only be moved for a "huge return."

But apparently you can search baseball reference, look at a couple numbers, and determine that he can't hit and is done developing. How have you not been offered a GM position already?

Oh no, a Tigers blog proved I was wrong.

I love this "But apparently you can search baseball reference, look at a couple numbers, and determine that he can't hit and is done developing."

Yet, you can search Baseball America, read a couple sentences, and determine that even though he can't hit, he has worlds of potential. How have you not been offered a GM position already?

I'm being a little harsh on his offensive ability. He can probably be a league average hitter. The problem is that that production coupled with his defense and position will make him a below average player overall.

There is a gigantic difference between basing your opinion of a player's value on the combined, holistic opinion of a group of baseball scouts and forming your opinion on an island based on some stats.

They probably aren't trading him (that's why there isn't a ton of articles out there discussing what they could get and I had to post a blog article), so letting it go.

so now that we are past the halfway mark who does everyone have for the playoffs?

AL

West - Angels

Central - Tigers

East - Orioles

WC - A's/Mariners - A's advance

NL

West - Dodgers

Central - Cardinals

East - Nationals

WC - Braves/Brewers - Braves advance

I guess I see most of the teams staying just about where they're at within their divisions

AL

West - Angels

Central - Tigers

East - Orioles

WC - A's/Mariners - A's advance

NL

West - Dodgers

Central - Cardinals

East - Nationals

WC - Braves/Brewers - Braves advance

I guess I see most of the teams staying just about where they're at within their divisions

except cardinals arent winning their division right now ;)

2012 seems to be the outlier in his career. Before that he was never highly regarded, and hasnt come close to replicating that last year or this year. Kinda like Brady Anderson's 1996 season.

Look at his minor league numbers. He was a pretty highly regarded prospect. Just took a couple years to find a foothold in the majors.

He can do it again. Think health is the biggest concern for him.