MLB Discussion

Exactly what I've always said about Joe Torre. He was always a mediocre manager but he gets some stacked Yankees teams and wins some some titles. I've always thought he was way over rated as a manager.

As a lifelong Yankee fan, I see your point and I'm inclined to agree. I think the role of manager is overrated period in baseball but without a salary cap or really any restrictions at all, I'd go about it the Steinbrenner way as well.

There's no good way to judge a manager other than wins, championships, and longevity.

Gardenhire had a lot of talent -- Johan, Liriano, Nathan, Mauer, Morneau, Cuddyer. You see their role players he got credit for getting so much out of play pretty much just as well on other teams (Kubel, punto, neshek, and guys like that). It's all perception. He won with a good teams just like any other good manager would.

Those first 6 only played together one year, and that was with Liriano throwing all of 120 innings in that season. Johan was gone by the time Mauer was hitting his prime and Morneau had that two good years. He had far from a stacked lineup compared to what Torre and La Russa have had.

Those first 6 only played together one year, and that was with Liriano throwing all of 120 innings in that season. Johan was gone by the time Mauer was hitting his prime and Morneau had that two good years. He had far from a stacked lineup compared to what Torre and La Russa have had.

Getting hung up in the weeds. The point is that he had great players just like every other team that wins divisions, not who played together at what times. They had 2 MVPs and Cy Youngs. It's not like they were taking 4-A players and turning them into all-stars.

Whether that talent was produced or purchased (in my mind), is mostly credited to the GM, who is highest oversight over a team of managers and scouts. I'm sure some managers are more involved in scouting and developing talent than others. We have no way to determine this.

Even the GM vs. GM debate is cloudy, because the teams that favor purchasing their talent are giving up plenty of draft picks and prospects to the smaller budget teams, which is hard to holistically account for.

Which circles back to my original point, that the only clear indicators of good management are winning and longevity.

I'm glad Lester is out the AL EAST, but Billy Beane is putting all of his chips on the table this year I see. If Oakland falls short of a WS title, I don't want to be him.

I don't think Beane cares what anyone thinks. He has more job security than any GM in sports.

The window the A's are in is only open through next season anyway. I think until other moves are made, 2015 takes a bit of a hit, but the window will still be open. Meanwhile they now have a 1-4 of Lester-Gray-Kazmir-Shark

i really, really hope that boston's front office is telling lester right now "after you go get another ring, come on back and we'll give you everything you want"

it just seems crazy to me that they don't go all-in signing him in the off-season. who else could possibly fill his role? and if they don't sign him, it's pretty much a 65% chance that he's in pin-stripes mowing down the sox on a regular basis for the next few years. NO NO NO.

at this point, the only baseball i'll be watching until october will be in the spirit of seeing how cespedes works out for us.

I know Lester is doing great this year, but he has a career 3.64 ERA, not nearly as great as Lee's 3.51 or  Hamels 3.31 who are also on the market. Lester isnt someone I would have given a lot up for a two month rental. Especially with the rumors that Boston would send him to a team they knew wouldnt be able to resign him so he would come back to them.

I don't think Beane cares what anyone thinks. He has more job security than any GM in sports.

The window the A's are in is only open through next season anyway. I think until other moves are made, 2015 takes a bit of a hit, but the window will still be open. Meanwhile they now have a 1-4 of Lester-Gray-Kazmir-Shark

I've never understood what gave him so much security. Maybe as an A's fan you can shed some light on that.

You guys were already doing great this year, now the A's have to be hands down WS favorites.

I know Lester is doing great this year, but he has a career 3.64 ERA, not nearly as great as Lee's 3.51 or  Hamels 3.31 who are also on the market. Lester isnt someone I would have given a lot up for a two month rental. Especially with the rumors that Boston would send him to a team they knew wouldnt be able to resign him so he would come back to them.

have you forgotten about what lester does in the post season?

I've never understood what gave him so much security. Maybe as an A's fan you can shed some light on that.

You guys were already doing great this year, now the A's have to be hands down WS favorites.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/billion-dollar-billy-beane/

He also owns a small portion of the team. He'll be the GM until he wants to leave.

Now, Millone for Fuld is the absolute dumbest thing Beane has ever done

That Lester move is a little scary for the Angels but they gave up a lot to get him and it's likely just a rental. They wont be able to afford Lester next year. They will still have a good team but they will have given up Cespedes for basically nothing if they dont win a WS this year.

Just makes me want the Angels to take this division even more now.

Love the Lackey trade from a Red Sox perspective. Something I didn't realize is that Lackey is under control for 500K next season. That's pretty sweet from the Cardinals side.

Regarding Cespedes, he was gone after next season anyways. He has a sub .300 OBP over his last 950 PA's. Still all potential, but he's only regressed since 2012

Having a book/movie which greatly exaggerated the impact of his personnel philosophy.

Yeah, Scott Hatteberg really won them a ton of games! Forget about Zito/Mulder/Hudson...