MLB Discussion

Prospect rankings had nothing to do with the Padres and Astros moving their top pitching prospects. Both teams got MLB power bats in return. Fried had TJ so that obviously lowered his "value". Padres were deep enough to make win now moves.

Fried and Wisler were moved in separate trades by the way. An Upton was included in both though ;).

Thanks for the clarification on the two Padres trades. It was a quick thing I did so I figured there was a few mistakes. I bet had Wisler moved up from 47 to say the top 10 then the Padres might have been more reluctant to give him up in the trade for Kimbrel and Bad Jr. Upton.

Thanks for the clarification on the two Padres trades. It was a quick thing I did so I figured there was a few mistakes. I bet had Wisler moved up from 47 to say the top 10 then the Padres might have been more reluctant to give him up in the trade for Kimbrel and Bad Jr. Upton.

Wisler is a "polished" pitching prospect by most scouts because he can throw 4 pitches for strikes well but he was coming off a poor season in AAA (and is still having issues this year with home runs). I think SD was just in a good place because they had already promoted the two guys they thought were their future starters. (Despaigne and Ross).

Wisler is a "polished" pitching prospect by most scouts because he can throw 4 pitches for strikes well but he was coming off a poor season in AAA (and is still having issues this year with home runs). I think SD was just in a good place because they had already promoted the two guys they thought were their future starters. (Despaigne and Ross).

Sounds like San Diego might have been the right place for him to pitch then, since that park kills so many home runs.

Sounds like San Diego might have been the right place for him to pitch then, since that park kills so many home runs.

It could be just an adjustment thing, he never had that issue until he pitched in the PCL (19 HR last season [115 IP] compared to 11 for his total AA and under career [270 IP]). He's an interesting case. He only projects as a 3/4 guy anyway.

I said I'd let it lie. But a 96er to the head = Fuck. You.

I was waiting to see if you would say something. That was really fucking scary, but obviously it wasn't on purpose. You could tell everyone was upset about it, and I definitely think it threw the Royals off their game which then led to the loss. An incredibly shitty thing to happen, but glad it wasn't worse. Have they said if Escobar will be able to play in the next game?

I was waiting to see if you would say something. That was really fucking scary, but obviously it wasn't on purpose. You could tell everyone was upset about it, and I definitely think it threw the Royals off their game which then led to the loss. An incredibly shitty thing to happen, but glad it wasn't worse. Have they said if Escobar will be able to play in the next game?

you can tell a lot by a reaction of the other team...i always look to the pitcher to see what he does..there are many stages of their emotions of hititng someone.. theres really no bad blood with these two.

hes been diagnosed with a left cheek contusion, they didnt feel xrays were necessary. headache, dizziness that im sure by now are gone. no word on his play.

i was thinking...if i were in the majors, you know youre gonna get hit just about anywhere at least once in your career. id like a headshot first. man, that has to be a rush seeing that coming at you.

It could be just an adjustment thing, he never had that issue until he pitched in the PCL (19 HR last season [115 IP] compared to 11 for his total AA and under career [270 IP]). He's an interesting case. He only projects as a 3/4 guy anyway.

PCL is a hitters haven though so I wouldnt be too concerned about it. I know he doesnt project to be much of an impact player, but in that Braves system anything is possible for a pitcher to get better.

PCL is a hitters haven though so I wouldnt be too concerned about it. I know he doesnt project to be much of an impact player, but in that Braves system anything is possible for a pitcher to get better.

yes, PCL games are, the majority at least, at higher, dryer altitudes, so it skews pitching statistics and inflates batting statistics.  Its no surprise to see the PCL as an outlier in a pitchers league track record... 

Almost certain now Folty is getting the ball tomorrow night. Apparently 22 IP was all the Braves needed to be convinced he could control his fastball.

21.2 IP, 30K, 10BB, 1 HR, 2.08 ERA, 2.52 FIP

(and he lost 3/4 starts, giving up 1, 1, 1 and 2 runs - so at least he will be used to that concept)

It's a factor but a major league ready pitcher is still gonna do fine in the PCL. It's still against triple A hitters. Maybe give credit for a half a run based on ballpark. Doesn't explain away a 4.5 ERA.

Agreed, paired with his last few sub-par starts explains why the Braves want to wait and see if he figures it out this season.

It's a factor but a major league ready pitcher is still gonna do fine in the PCL. It's still against triple A hitters. Maybe give credit for a half a run based on ballpark. Doesn't explain away a 4.5 ERA.

yes, its AAA arms against AAA bats, but the PCL numbers are higher in every category, batters triple slash from 2008-2013 is .277/.347/.778 and the only leagues that averaged 5 or more runs a game were all mountain/high elevation leagues (PCL, Mexican, California, Arizona and Pioneer).  So yes, the PCL (or any of those leagues) can explain away a 4.5 ERA for a pitcher who was below 4.00 in AA and lower.  im sure if he pitched in the international league his era would have been under 4. major league ready pitching is still going to be hurt by the dry air and high elevation, there is nothing an elite pitcher can do about that.  Look at Kershaw, the only park in his career he's given up double digit homers is Coors field (15), which is nearly double any other park he's pitched in on the road.