MLB Discussion

i will be writing for rotographs (at fangraphs) starting next week probably. the staff wants me to start in fantasy baseball analysis and maybe move my way over to the non-roto section of the site after i get my feet wet.

anyway, i'm pretty jazzed and i wanted to share the news with someone. figured you guys might think it's cool, too (unless you hate FG, then pretend i wrote a different website name). maybe you can go read my stuff and leave mean, disparaging comments? some of the "analysis" on FG drives me crazy with how much it lacks real analysis, so i'm going to do my best to not be that guy.

i do a lot of econometric/statistical analysis and am always open to researching new topics, so if you have questions that have been nagging you or whatever, let me know! i'm always down for new projects.

I highly recommend as a writer, to start typing with correct punctuation every single place you write whether it be internet/social media/text. Have seen writers get chopped for too many GFE's in their stories. Solid start though! Best of luck! :)

I highly recommend as a writer, to start typing with correct punctuation every single place you write whether it be internet/social media/text. Have seen writers get chopped for too many GFE's in their stories. Solid start though! Best of luck! :)

Thanks! I appreciate it. (Look at all of that sexy capitalization. Just for you!)

I have no idea what GFEs are. Google wasn't particularly helpful in finding me the right acronym either, haha.

Didnt they pick up his option for next year in Spring Training?

yeah, but its only for something like $1.3 million, so its not breaking the bank or anything.

Craig Counsell has entered the ring as the next manager for the Brewers.  Cant wait to see what he can do, for as mediocre of a player he was, 16 years and 2 world series rings is probably the most success any Brewers coach has ever had for their former teams.

yeah, but its only for something like $1.3 million, so its not breaking the bank or anything.

Craig Counsell has entered the ring as the next manager for the Brewers.  Cant wait to see what he can do, for as mediocre of a player he was, 16 years and 2 world series rings is probably the most success any Brewers coach has ever had for their former teams.

I know he isnt making much and that he was fired, it just makes no sense to me. Did they really think in S.T. that this team was going to compete for the WS? Do they really think that the fact that they are scuffling now is his fault and not injuries and poor talent on the roster? It would be like the Phils firing Ryne Sandberg right now if they extended him in S.T. Everyone knew the team wouldnt be good and it is more an issue of upper brass overvaluing the current team if this slow start is a wakeup call to them more than it is Roenicke's fault for them playing poor.

I know he isnt making much and that he was fired, it just makes no sense to me. Did they really think in S.T. that this team was going to compete for the WS? Do they really think that the fact that they are scuffling now is his fault and not injuries and poor talent on the roster? It would be like the Phils firing Ryne Sandberg right now if they extended him in S.T. Everyone knew the team wouldnt be good and it is more an issue of upper brass overvaluing the current team if this slow start is a wakeup call to them more than it is Roenicke's fault for them playing poor.

It's a pretty pointless choice in my opinion. Someone on twitter last night pointed out that obviously the team will finish much higher than .250 W/L so the new manager will benefit from perception which is really just regression to the mean (.450 or so).

seeing as how pretty much the exact same team was in 1st place from april - mid august last year before injuries caught up, yes, I think coming out of ST they thought they could compete in 2015 for the division or a WC spot because they were healthy.  they fell apart in September and it continued on through April and the worst start in franchise history, yeah, someone was taking the fall for it, and the manager is the easiest piece to cut off, regardless of contract status.  Outside of St Louis every other team is hovering around .500, and thats with Milwaukee only winning 5 games against NL Central teams all month.  Garza isnt as bad as his April was, Loshe isnt as bad as his April was, they had a lot of bad luck go their way (Gomez, Lucroy, Scooter on DL; Braun pulling somethiung in his side, Ramy pulling a hammy) on paper the team should be better than 6 wins right now.

I am excited for Craig, hometown guy gets to manage the team he grew up following?  Melvin's already said it'll be nice to have someone who knows the MiLB rosters, pretty much meaning get ready to see some guys be traded and watch the callups begin