MLB Discussion

I think people probably exaggerated how bad the Braves offense was going to be this year but they are still going to be in the bottom half of most of the important categories at the end of the year

Important as in wins and losses? I'm inclined to agree with you. I'm still very happy watching this team, between Folty and Miller dealing so far, Simba hitting for average and power, Kelly Johnson already providing as much WAR in 28 games as his entire last season and Jace Peterson slapping singles all over the field.

Important as in wins and losses? I'm inclined to agree with you. I'm still very happy watching this team, between Folty and Miller dealing so far, Simba hitting for average and power, Kelly Johnson already providing as much WAR in 28 games as his entire last season and Jace Peterson slapping singles all over the field.

I would agree with you that Miller is dealing so far. Nice rebound year from last year, but i'm not sure you can say Foltynewicz is dealing right now. He looked ok the other night against the Phils, but he wasn't dominant at all and he did run into trouble at times. Plus, his numbers after two starts don't suggest he is dealing, yet. However, I am not saying that he can improve as the year moves on.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/f/foltymi01.shtml

I would agree with you that Miller is dealing so far. Nice rebound year from last year, but i'm not sure you can say Foltynewicz is dealing right now. He looked ok the other night against the Phils, but he wasn't dominant at all and he did run into trouble at times. Plus, his numbers after two starts don't suggest he is dealing, yet. However, I am not saying that he can improve as the year moves on.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/f/foltymi01.shtml

It's more of a visual thing for me with Folty. For a guy who was told repeatedly by the Astros he would never be a starter, he has come up and pitched two solid games in his first two starts. In his debut he could only throw his fastball for a strike and still got into the 6th inning with two ER and last night he found his strikeout pitch (backfoot slider) and should have only had another 2 ER next to his name if it weren't for the crappy Braves bullpen.

I'm sure Cody Asche would disagree with you that Folty was dealing ;). His issue is still what it always has been - throwing too many pitches to go 7 innings... but the contrast between start 1 and 2 in terms of finding his breaking stuff for strikes tells me he will improve rather than digress with more time working with McDowell.

It's more of a visual thing for me with Folty. For a guy who was told repeatedly by the Astros he would never be a starter, he has come up and pitched two solid games in his first two starts. In his debut he could only throw his fastball for a strike and still got into the 6th inning with two ER and last night he found his strikeout pitch (backfoot slider) and should have only had another 2 ER next to his name if it weren't for the crappy Braves bullpen.

I'm sure Cody Asche would disagree with you that Folty was dealing ;). His issue is still what it always has been - throwing too many pitches to go 7 innings... but the contrast between start 1 and 2 in terms of finding his breaking stuff for strikes tells me he will improve rather than digress with more time working with McDowell.

He did make Asche look stupid at times, and I do think Foltynewicz is going to be a good pitcher. Pretty much everyone makes the Phillies look bad these days. I feel like a Saints fan these days with the Phillies. Have to wear a bag over my head with this team. I still try to watch parts of every Phillies game, but I'm so glad I got the baseball package because I enjoy watching the other games instead.

He did make Asche look stupid at times, and I do think Foltynewicz is going to be a good pitcher. Pretty much everyone makes the Phillies look bad these days. I feel like a Saints fan these days with the Phillies. Have to wear a bag over my head with this team. I still try to watch parts of every Phillies game, but I'm so glad I got the baseball package because I enjoy watching the other games instead.

It is so hard. I try to watch all of the games, but it is painful. Utley is pressing too much, Howard is Howard, we are splitting time between Francour and Sizemore, Harrang is our best pitcher (though I suspect Cole will turn it on, he always starts slow). I dont buy into Asche at all, he reminds me a lot of Howard minus a lot of power. I feel like we have a team who doesnt believe in making adjustments at all. They got to the majors a certain way, and now that everyone else has made adjustments to them, they just dont care. I will at least give credit to Sandberg for changing the lineups a bit and not constantly hitting Howard 4th all damn season.

Understand what one bad inning can do to a reliever's end of year numbers when looking at a single year.

It's still hard to see why a reliever hovering around a 4 ERA in his "prime" would be given that many closing gigs. The average for a bullpen arm across the entire league is around the mid-3s. He's just an average pitcher (who is no longer even that).

Understand what one bad inning can do to a reliever's end of year numbers when looking at a single year.

It's still hard to see why a reliever hovering around a 4 ERA in his "prime" would be given that many closing gigs. The average for a bullpen arm across the entire league is around the mid-3s. He's just an average pitcher (who is no longer even that).

He pitched in the prime years of the "closer" fascination when it was almost a separate position from a normal RP if that's how you were pegged early on. Hopefully advanced statistics are slowly killing that idea.