Pop punk vs. Powerpop

..also, SUGAR wasn't a power pop band, Bob Mould would probably break all of his guitars if he heard that statement.

bands like Cheap Trick, Scandal, Off Broadway, the Knack, Elvis Costello(early days at least) etc...were power pop bands...sort of took the urgency of punk rock mixed with the poppier end of Mod music/Buddy Holly-esque 50's pop rock an roll.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeebus are you guys off on this.

Power Pop - Cute Lepers, Exploding Hearts, the Circles, the Little Girls, (see Ramo Records)

Pop Punk - Queers, SW, Vindictives

Pop - Weezer, Green Day, Blink 182

/

actually, i think you're kind of off... green day and blink 182 are kind of the epitome's of mall pop punk. pop songs under the guise of "punk".

Power Pop - Cute Lepers, Exploding Hearts, the Circles, the Little Girls, (see Ramo Records)

/

actually, i think you're kind of off... green day and blink 182 are kind of the epitome's of mall pop punk. pop songs under the guise of "punk".

True, but those shitty bands shouldn't be compared with the Queers, SW, etc which were already called pop punk, so now they have to be called something else, pop. Also, anyone who wrote that the RAMONES in any of this is flat out wrong. The RAMONES are a (the) punk band.

haha, man... semantics are silly.

just because someone was classified as a genre before, doesn't mean that the label can't be applied to someone else. the beatles were pop. men at work was pop. nsync was pop. deal with it.

and, whether you want to believe it or not, the ramones were ABSOLUTELY pop punk. they had just as much in common with the beach boys as they did with the sex pistols.

True, but those shitty bands shouldn't be compared with the Queers, SW, etc which were already called pop punk, so now they have to be called something else, pop. Also, anyone who wrote that the RAMONES in any of this is flat out wrong. The RAMONES are a (the) punk band.

i was gonna say, Ramones are a pop punk band. normally, my basis for straight up punk is the Clash. then i realized that the Ramones came before the Clash and were an insanely huge influence on them.

just because someone was classified as a genre before, doesn't mean that the label can't be applied to someone else. the beatles were pop. men at work was pop. nsync was pop. deal with it.

and, whether you want to believe it or not, the ramones were ABSOLUTELY pop punk. they had just as much in common with the beach boys as they did with the sex pistols.

I know that the whole pop punk thing is just semantics, I love getting in that arguement. But the fucking RAMONES were the first punk band, how can you label abridge the lable that was created for them?

(I know, the Stooges were punk, the Dolls were punk, Bob fucking Dylan was punk, but the RAMONES were the first)

It's too early and I'm too sober to start this fight, but have at it!

i was gonna say, Ramones are a pop punk band. normally, my basis for straight up punk is the Clash. then i realized that the Ramones came before the Clash and were an insanely huge influence on them.

CORRECT! +1

see: Baby, I Love You

a cover, but the worst song the Ramones EVER did. i just know joey had an affinity for pop music. if you haven't seen it, watch End of the Century. it's an amazing doc and paints a vivid picture of the Ramones becoming punk, being punk, and dying punks (well, Dee-Dee died as the very first white rapper).

I know that the whole pop punk thing is just semantics, I love getting in that arguement. But the fucking RAMONES were the first punk band, how can you label abridge the lable that was created for them?

(I know, the Stooges were punk, the Dolls were punk, Bob fucking Dylan was punk, but the RAMONES were the first)

yay arguments!

you totally just proved yourself wrong. the stooges, the dolls, and dylan (and let's not forget the mc5) all came WAY BEFORE the ramones.

dylan went electric (arguably the first act of musical "fuck you") - 1965

the stooges - 1969

mc5 - 1969

new york dolls - 1973

the ramones - 1976

and yeah, it's just a label, but the ramones played pop songs in a punk style, punk energy. their chorus's are pure beach boys. pop -> punk... pop punk.

yay arguments!

you totally just proved yourself wrong. the stooges, the dolls, and dylan (and let's not forget the mc5) all came WAY BEFORE the ramones.

dylan went electric (arguably the first act of musical "fuck you") - 1965

the stooges - 1969

mc5 - 1969

new york dolls - 1973

the ramones - 1976

and yeah, it's just a label, but the ramones played pop songs in a punk style, punk energy. their chorus's are pure beach boys. pop -> punk... pop punk.

What I was saying about those bands is they weren't "punk" because that term didn't exist to describe music until the Ramones. I love playing this game drunk with some friends, but it's too hard to shit talk and counterpoint over the intertubes, it takes the fun out of it!

There's not enough difference between pop punk and power pop. But then again what is "punk" is totally ambigious so differentiating a poppy style of punk from a powered up style of pop is ridiculous. A ton of folks use punk-influence to color their pop without totally crossing over. But feel free to argue for arguments sake.

/

i can't believe i didn't mention the exploding hearts, they are fucking amazing power pop. think cheap trick and the clash in 1977 playing together.

..also, SUGAR wasn't a power pop band, Bob Mould would probably break all of his guitars if he heard that statement.

bands like Cheap Trick, Scandal, Off Broadway, the Knack, Elvis Costello(early days at least) etc...were power pop bands...sort of took the urgency of punk rock mixed with the poppier end of Mod music/Buddy Holly-esque 50's pop rock an roll.

Well Mould always said they (Sugar) were just a pop band. So i don't think he'd freak out.. or should i dare use the word ALTERNATIVE (cringe)