NFL Discussion

Not really sure what a bro-down is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRpTjr4L4T4

It's a description of a challenge of intelligence using a standardized test to judge. How else would you objectively measure intelligence? Academic Decathalon?

Why does anyone need to measure intelligence between Sherman and Bayless? Because Sherman "insulted" Bayless' "intelligence"? Bayless was talking trash about Sherman's game, does that mean that Bayless needs to pad up and take some snaps versus Sherman?

well that video is from last march, so it was before this season.  but bayless was trying to bait sherman into fighting over the whole twitter-revisgate which led to some of these quotes

The money quotes from Sherman:

• "Whenever you refer to me, whenever you speak to me, whenever you address me, address me as All-Pro Stanford graduate beacuse those are some accomplishments you will aspire to but never accomplish. You have never accomplished anything."

• "I think you think more of yourself than you can prove."

• "In my 24 years of life, I'm better at life than you."

• "I'm intelligent enough and capable enough to understand that you are ignorant, pompous, egotistical, cretin. I'm going to crush you on here because I'm tired of hearing about it."

• "I'm tired of your ignorant pollution."

No, Sherman is an all-pro and skip is an old man. To state the obvious, there is no competition.

I guess I just took offense to his "my school is better than your school and I'm going to talk down to your intelligence" attitude (quoted above). Stanford is a fantastic school, but dumber people have gone to better schools (George W. Bush comes to mind). I wouldn't take that from him (assuming that I wasn't in a situation where he could beat my ass), so I guess I was putting myself in Skip's shoes and saying how I would have gone right back at him.

That's all for me on the subject. I didn't intend to be racially insensitive or to go on a rant to prove that Richard Sherman is not intelligent. There is an indicator he is (school), and an indicator he isn't (wunderlic). The sum total is inconclusive. Is what it is. Getting back to talking about the game.

he loves attention.  let your game do the talking (it does) and keep your mouth shut. seahawks franchise need to shut this guy up.  

Come on man... Ray Lewis was a huge talker... Why does Lewis get the pass and not Sherman?

And did anyone see this? http://www.amazon.com

Amazon would...

A lot of players play and talk though

And geez la weez, why do I get the feeling Tom Brady and Manning still have 4 strong years in the league? What are these guys on? Or do you think they will one season just fade away drastically?

Come on man... Ray Lewis was a huge talker... Why does Lewis get the pass and not Sherman?

I'm not saying your thesis is wrong but the video doesn't support it. That video ends with Lewis and Brady praising each other at the end of. How is that any more than marginally similar to what happened Sunday?

Gut feeling. Manning has talked about "the light at the end of the tunnel" and all that. Establishing that he's got only a couple more years tops. If the tests on his neck don't come out great this offseason I could see him calling it a career in 2014/15.

Brady on the other hand just doesn't give off that vibe. Maybe I'm totally wrong but I see him riding out his contract at least. I think that has another 4 or so years.

Edit: totally wrong, his contract expires next season.

And did anyone see this? http://www.amazon.com

Amazon would...

did you mean to post that video?  did you watch that video?

at the beginning ray lewis says how good brady is and batttling him is a chess match.  later brady and ray lewis go back and forth saying "what"

during post game handshakes the script reads, 

brady: "you're the best"

lewis: "go get 'em"

brady: "i love you man, i mean it"

lewis: "i love you too, take care of yourself"

yeah they can be rivals on the field, but they have lots of respect for each other and neither of them would be yelling how the other one is a poor player in their post game interview.  they would be talking about their team.

True kind of shot myself in the foot there with that vid  :blink: 

Manning is definitely going to retire soon. If he wins the Super Bowl it may be as soon as this year or next. Brady I see playing until his arm falls off.

I hope so! I was kind of thinking, if he wins this year, his drive for next year won't be as high... But then again D. Thomas is in the rise of his young career... Might get even easier for him next year.

Enough about Sherman. Can we talk about how ignorant Goodell is in wanting to get rid of PATs and essentially kickers in general? I think the format Goodell is proposing is preposterous. If you score a touchdown, you get seven points. No PAT. You can elect to stay at seven, and kickoff, or you can go for a conversion via running or passing for an additional point. If you fail however, you go back to six. I understand that PATs are essentially an automatic point, but how is this going to make the game more exciting? Teams hardly ever go for two as it is, why would they now with the risk of losing a point? Most teams will just take the seven, and kick it off. NFL coaches are too worried about job security to jeopardize it by going for the conversion and possibly failing. I really wish the NFL was like the college game, where they go for it on fourth down and for two point conversions all the time, but that will never happen.

If they change anything, they should move it back so it's more difficult. Not to mention there won't be any kickoffs in the Pro Bowl, which is why Cordarrelle Patterson for the Vikings wasn't going to go, even with the best kick return yardage in the NFL. It's almost as if Goodell is trying to get rid of kicking altogether. I still think it's dumb that they moved the kickoff up, so there is no returns.

Goodell should be more focused on how terrible the officiating was in general this year, how many stupid pass interference calls there were, and making every play, like the Bowman fumble, reviewable. Not expanding the playoffs and getting rid of PATs.

For real. There were at least 3 separate plays in the NFC championship game alone that were plain called wrong and weren't reviewable. I do like the idea that coaches can challenge one PI a game whether they win the challenge or not. Give the coaches a chance to reverse really important incorrect calls.

I'm fine with getting rid of PATs. They bring nothing to the game. You still need a kicker on your team. Most teams could make all their PATs with their back up linebackers kicking PATs anyways if their kicker/punter went down.

As for motivation, probably just trying to squeeze one more commercial into the break (which I'm also fine with...commercials are more interesting than PATs).

Enough about Sherman. Can we talk about how ignorant Goodell is in wanting to get rid of PATs and essentially kickers in general? I think the format Goodell is proposing is preposterous. If you score a touchdown, you get seven points. No PAT. You can elect to stay at seven, and kickoff, or you can go for a conversion via running or passing for an additional point. If you fail however, you go back to six. I understand that PATs are essentially an automatic point, but how is this going to make the game more exciting? Teams hardly ever go for two as it is, why would they now with the risk of losing a point? Most teams will just take the seven, and kick it off. NFL coaches are too worried about job security to jeopardize it by going for the conversion and possibly failing. I really wish the NFL was like the college game, where they go for it on fourth down and for two point conversions all the time, but that will never happen.

If they change anything, they should move it back so it's more difficult. Not to mention there won't be any kickoffs in the Pro Bowl, which is why Cordarrelle Patterson for the Vikings wasn't going to go, even with the best kick return yardage in the NFL. It's almost as if Goodell is trying to get rid of kicking altogether. I still think it's dumb that they moved the kickoff up, so there is no returns.

Goodell should be more focused on how terrible the officiating was in general this year, how many stupid pass interference calls there were, and making every play, like the Bowman fumble, reviewable. Not expanding the playoffs and getting rid of PATs.

cannot see the NFLPA being okay with this. 

also there were only 5 missed PAT's all season, 4 of them were blocked.  so theres that.  PAT's are just automatic.  its not like in the 40's, 50's, 60's where you would take players off the line to kick it, its now a specialized position.  players practice JUST kicking PAT's, so I get that its become almost pointless to have the play when so few ever miss it, but those few times are still pretty amazing when they happen. 

Very relevant.