NFL Discussion

All-Pro cornerback Richard Sherman was also suspended last season for using a banned substance but won his much-publicized appeal last December. Sherman won by claiming there were errors in the chain of custody for his urine sample and that the tester made mistakes.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9287069/bruce-irvin-seattle-seahawks-suspended-four-games

sorry if this was already talked about... and I know this is over a year old now, but this is incredible this happened in the NFL and MLB (suspensions being overturned based on chain of custody appeal).  I cannot remember for the life of me if this was made into such a stink like it was in baseball by the sports media or not.  I honestly dont follow football much outside of the packers, let alone players who get suspended, but this honestly surprised me when I found it on the internets looking up the recent players suspended for failed drug tests. 

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/seahawks/2012/12/27/richard-sherman-seattle-seahawks-nfl-suspension/1794143/

I had never heard that. Crazy! I can't imagine how a second cup could possibly introduce a bias in the sample. It's the same urine.

My first thought, though, was how many thousands (tens? hundreds?) of guilty people have gotten out of criminal investigations due to procedural errors by the justice system. The more rules surrounding a procedure, the harder it is to follow them all. People are human. Sounds like urine collectors for all the sports need more training and to be on their toes more.

Yes I understand that, but that usually doesn't happen. It would be like your boss telling you that you would be fired/suspended for drinking beer on your own time.

It happens everyday. Also, beer isn't illegal on the federal level.

It's like this—the majority of nationwide businesses have maintained their drug policies regardless of state laws on marijuana. You still have to piss in a cup for Walmart and Target in all 50 states.

Are there states that do not legally allow medicinal marijuana?

I just can't see this happening if it isn't allowed everywhere. I'm sure every football player has suffered enough head trauma for a doctor somewhere to give them a prescription.

I also think there are NFL players who like marijuana enough for it to play a part in the team they choose via free agency, creating a competitive disadvantage. Not saying people will take 50% to go to a team that will allow them to smoke it, but they might take 95%.

I had never heard that. Crazy! I can't imagine how a second cup could possibly introduce a bias in the sample. It's the same urine.

My first thought, though, was how many thousands (tens? hundreds?) of guilty people have gotten out of criminal investigations due to procedural errors by the justice system. The more rules surrounding a procedure, the harder it is to follow them all. People are human. Sounds like urine collectors for all the sports need more training and to be on their toes more.

I cant address the second part properly, but there are different processes in the legal system to avoid this type of issue 

but whats crazy about Sherman winning his appeal is the stark silence since then from the NFL and media trying to prove that he did, infact, fail that test and SHOULD be suspended (like what happens in baseball).  It further shows how fucking batshit crazy baseball fans/media/everyone is compared to every other sport league.

I also think that adderall is treated significantly differently than steroids regardless of sport. I believe Carlos Ruiz was suspended for Adderall and no one really cares.

Ray Lewis's deer antler spray incident was a hot button topic for a short period of time. He left the league pretty quickly afterwards, though, and I don't think I have heard about it since. Definitely never heard anyone say he should be banned from the HOF for it. Murder charges come up all the time when talking about him though.

Summary I guess -- definitely differences in sports regarding how these cases are talked about, but there are other factors in the Sherman case that play a role too.

I also think that adderall is treated significantly differently than steroids regardless of sport. I believe Carlos Ruiz was suspended for Adderall and no one really cares.

Ray Lewis's deer antler spray incident was a hot button topic for a short period of time. He left the league pretty quickly afterwards, though, and I don't think I have heard about it since. Definitely never heard anyone say he should be banned from the HOF for it. Murder charges come up all the time when talking about him though.

Summary I guess -- definitely differences in sports regarding how these cases are talked about, but there are other factors in the Sherman case that play a role too.

i'm pretty sure the deer antler spray guy is just a self promoting lunatic.  he targeted AP too and another athlete who bounced back from injury that was putting up career numbers.

These exams have been made known since his surgery. He gets them every year. If something comes up wrong he will stop, but all signs are showing he will play next year.

Here is an article by Jeff Legwold the ESPN Broncos Insider that same day in response to report given by ESPN and the AP.

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=denver-broncos&id=3909

These exams have been made known since his surgery. He gets them every year. If something comes up wrong he will stop, but all signs are showing he will play next year.

The key to me is that it says "risk of future injury", not "if he is injured".

I'm no MD, but I did serve on a jury regarding a back injury case. Had multiple spinal neurosurgeons testify and one thing that was clear -- our spines are constantly in a state of degradation after our early 20s. Discs lose their elasticity (and bulge), bone spurs pinch the spinal canal, and a bunch of other things happen that can pinch nerves. He's already at-risk for future problems after the spinal fusion.

Just saying, risk for him goes beyond "anyone can injure their spine anytime". What risk he faces exactly, who knows. Need an MRI of his spine to answer that question (which will come as planned).

The key to me is that it says "risk of future injury", not "if he is injured".

I'm no MD, but I did serve on a jury regarding a back injury case. Had multiple spinal neurosurgeons testify and one thing that was clear -- our spines are constantly in a state of degradation after our early 20s. Discs lose their elasticity (and bulge), bone spurs pinch the spinal canal, and a bunch of other things happen that can pinch nerves. He's already at-risk for future problems after the spinal fusion.

Just saying, risk for him goes beyond "anyone can injure their spine anytime". What risk he faces exactly, who knows. Need an MRI of his spine to answer that question (which will come as planned).

True. I'm just glad the the Broncos have a $10 million insurance policy on him in case he can't play. We get half if his guaranteed salary back.