NFL Discussion

i mean, just google jay cutler, bears fans love to hate him.  almost at the same level as winning the super bowl, Bears fans demand a QB who can beat the Packers, of which, Cutlers record is 1-7, 10 TD and 17 INT, and just got extended thru 2020...

Packers fans are chanting "7 more years!, 7 more years!" now that Jay Cutler has re-signed with the Bears through 2020.

— Bill Novak (@BillNovakNews) January 2, 2014

This Packers owner congratulates the Bears on signing Jay Cutler to a long-term deal.

— Kevin Wondrash (@CHReporterKevin) January 2, 2014

The Green Bay #Packers are proud to announce that the Chicago #Bears have signed Jay Cutler to a seven year contract.

— Chris Liebenthal (@Cog_Dis) January 2, 2014

BREAKING: Bears sign Jay Cutler for 7 years. No word yet on how much this contract cost the Packers.

— Rich Ratay (@RichRatay) January 2, 2014

7 more years of rooting against Jay Cutler? 7 more years of rooting against Jay Cutler!

— Dan Shafer (@danshaferMKE) January 2, 2014

"What a great move by the Bears to sign Jay Cutler for 7 more years!" - Detroit, Green Bay, and Minnesota

— Rob Fee (@robfee) January 2, 2014

Bears sign Jay Cutler to 7 year deal.. BREAKING: Green Bay Packers clinch NFC North for next 7 seasons.

— Faux John Madden (@FauxJohnMadden) January 2, 2014
@PGDougSchneider @BradBiggs I love it! He's our best player on defense for at least two games per year.

— Luke (@lukejc1) January 2, 2014

Yea I guess I'm to far detached from the Chicago market to know their overall feelings on him.  I always kind of admired his "don't give a fuck" attitude, but he definitely is frail when it comes to injuries.

Still don't see justification for the rest.  I really like Marshawn and never saw anything too negative about him other than the DWI, which was borderline since he was right at the limit, not over it.  Also being viewed as "unapproachable" isn't a negative in my mind.  I prefer guys who do their job and don't gloat or talk shit in the media.

I havent heard that and that wont happen

It is all speculation. I guess I got it from an Adam Schefter tweet https://twitter.com/adamschefter/status/440481906011172864 that says

"@AdamSchefter: If I'm the Seattle Seahawks or Green Bay Packers, I'm willing to sign TE Jimmy Graham to an offer sheet and to give up two 1's to get him."

I don't think he would work in GB, but right now Seattle has the funds to pay him more like a WR and boost their TE position.

It is all speculation. I guess I got it from an Adam Schefter tweet https://twitter.com/adamschefter/status/440481906011172864 that says

"@AdamSchefter: If I'm the Seattle Seahawks or Green Bay Packers, I'm willing to sign TE Jimmy Graham to an offer sheet and to give up two 1's to get him."

I don't think he would work in GB, but right now Seattle has the funds to pay him more like a WR and boost their TE position.

i can't imagine rodgers with all those weapons, cobb, nelson, boykin, and graham. that would be lethal.

the last thing the packers need is to spend a ton of money/lose draft picks to further improve their offense when their defense is pretty bad and they're about to get worse when they lose Shields to FA.  any money/top picks needs to be used on CB/FS/SS/DB

Cassel is easily the only option out of the QBs they had on the roster last year.  I'd keep him and grab someone in the draft.

If I had a whole offseason to work with a QB, I'd probably keep Freeman over Cassel. The kid has a ton of upside but was sort of just thrown to the wolves last year right after being in a terrible situation down in Tampa.

If I had a whole offseason to work with a QB, I'd probably keep Freeman over Cassel. The kid has a ton of upside but was sort of just thrown to the wolves last year right after being in a terrible situation down in Tampa.

Intangible-wise, I don't see a lot to like from Freeman.  Yea he has a big arm, but he played like shit in TB before getting cut and did absolutely nothing in Minnesota.  Cassel has had success in the past, and can make plays.  Neither is a long term solution, but I'd much rather have Cassel on my team.  Norv Turner can do some good things with Cassel and Jennings and Rudolph with AP still running the rock.

Intangible-wise, I don't see a lot to like from Freeman.  Yea he has a big arm, but he played like shit in TB before getting cut and did absolutely nothing in Minnesota.  Cassel has had success in the past, and can make plays.  Neither is a long term solution, but I'd much rather have Cassel on my team.  Norv Turner can do some good things with Cassel and Jennings and Rudolph with AP still running the rock.

Schaino hated him and his only start in Minnesota was after he'd been there for less than two weeks, so I give him a mulligan for last season. I'll admit Cassel is more consistent though, and will be a great backup QB if they decide to draft their starter this year.

Schaino hated him and his only start in Minnesota was after he'd been there for less than two weeks, so I give him a mulligan for last season. I'll admit Cassel is more consistent though, and will be a great backup QB if they decide to draft their starter this year.

Schiano hating him didn't make him play like shit though, even though I agree Schiano is a grade A douche.  Yes, he got thrown into a game with limited reps in the system - but as a pro QB, he should still be able to complete passes - he had a completion rate of 37% in that game.  That game was against the Giants, so I remember it pretty well - and I remember Freeman just completely over throwing players on open opportunities.  Obviously i wouldn't hold him to a high standard for that game, but there were a lot of improvised plays and broken plays, where he had a chance to hit an open receiver who broke off their route to help him, and he just completely whiffed.  Also he just seemed to have a shitty attitude these past few years.  Not even holding last year against him, I wouldn't want to go into the next season with him as my starter, unless the game plan was to hand the ball to AP 99 out of 100 times.

Cassel just flashes some good stuff.  Not nearly consistently enough to be considered a solid option at starting QB, but guy did learn under Brady for a time, and at this point is a 9 year vet that could help a young QB.   

Schiano hating him didn't make him play like shit though, even though I agree Schiano is a grade A douche.  Yes, he got thrown into a game with limited reps in the system - but as a pro QB, he should still be able to complete passes - he had a completion rate of 37% in that game.  That game was against the Giants, so I remember it pretty well - and I remember Freeman just completely over throwing players on open opportunities.  Obviously i wouldn't hold him to a high standard for that game, but there were a lot of improvised plays and broken plays, where he had a chance to hit an open receiver who broke off their route to help him, and he just completely whiffed.  Also he just seemed to have a shitty attitude these past few years.  Not even holding last year against him, I wouldn't want to go into the next season with him as my starter, unless the game plan was to hand the ball to AP 99 out of 100 times.

Cassel just flashes some good stuff.  Not nearly consistently enough to be considered a solid option at starting QB, but guy did learn under Brady for a time, and at this point is a 9 year vet that could help a young QB.   

h41610AFF.gif